Sonic and Knuckles Death Egg Zone Remix

Kruai

Hey guys,

I haven't submitted anything here in a while, so I thought I'd take another stab at a remix. I'm remixing the Death Egg Zone from Sonic and Knuckles into a dance/electronic thing. I'm not sure what to call my genres anymore!

Anyway, here's what I have so far:

http://soundcloud.com/kruai/death-egg-zone-remix

I've been at it for a day or two and now I'm not sure what to do. Do you guys have any recommendations? :smile:

Update: Messed with balancing and compression, few changes to instruments. Newest version:

http://soundcloud.com/kruai/eggs-in-spaaace-death-egg-zone-remix

I'd like some constructive criticism, please!

Will do :P

The clicking at 0:41 seems off, and it is distracting me. I don't know if the off-beat rhythm was intentional , but it detracts from the content a bit.

I do enjoy 2:09 to 2:31, and then the synth beat after that, but the tick is back :-|

I would write more, but I don't have time right now.

Will do :P

The clicking at 0:41 seems off, and it is distracting me. I don't know if the off-beat rhythm was intentional , but it detracts from the content a bit.

I do enjoy 2:09 to 2:31, and then the synth beat after that, but the tick is back :-|

I would write more, but I don't have time right now.

All right, thanks for the feedback! I have to check out the clicking issue because nobody I've shown this to has said anything about it. But, I'll keep it in mind as I work on the next WIP.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not familiar with the genre, honestly. It's not my thing. So my criticism is really personal opinion.

Anyway, I find the effect you use throughout the song (starting from 0:41) where the main melody comes in and out a bit distracting.

I do think you have something here, though. It's probably not up to the OCR judges standards (it adds to the song, but it doesn't really change much of the original composition), but I do think you can take it farther if you invest a bit more into it.

Personal opinion, again, but I do like that effect you used at 2:09. You could perhaps extend it further into the song, working it in as the background.

I'm not familiar with the genre, honestly. It's not my thing. So my criticism is really personal opinion.

Anyway, I find the effect you use throughout the song (starting from 0:41) where the main melody comes in and out a bit distracting.

I do think you have something here, though. It's probably not up to the OCR judges standards (it adds to the song, but it doesn't really change much of the original composition), but I do think you can take it farther if you invest a bit more into it.

Personal opinion, again, but I do like that effect you used at 2:09. You could perhaps extend it further into the song, working it in as the background.

Don't worry about it not being your genre, I'm open to all inputs at this point :)

Ah yes, sidechain compression (the vacuum sound caused on every beat) is kind of integral to electro, so I'm afraid I don't want to remove that effect.

I'm gonna have to ask a few more people about the ratio of new-stuff-to-original material, because what I've been told so far is that what I have is about a 60-70% new stuff and 30-40% original. But I appreciate your input and I'll remember that when I decide whether or not to change my composition.

Also, for the effect that you refer to at 2:09, do you mean the voice/whistle synth that holds the sustained notes?

Don't worry about it not being your genre, I'm open to all inputs at this point :)

Ah yes, sidechain compression (the vacuum sound caused on every beat) is kind of integral to electro, so I'm afraid I don't want to remove that effect.

No, he's right. Sidechaining is always great, but you should not put it on everything. I never put it on a FOCUS, which is the main melody, and if I do, it's very light.

Hey guys,

I haven't submitted anything here in a while, so I thought I'd take another stab at a remix. I'm remixing the Death Egg Zone from Sonic and Knuckles into a dance/electronic thing. I'm not sure what to call my genres anymore!

Anyway, here's what I have so far:

http://soundcloud.com/kruai/death-egg-zone-remix

I've been at it for a day or two and now I'm not sure what to do. Do you guys have any recommendations? :smile:

Update: Messed with balancing and compression, few changes to instruments. Newest version:

http://soundcloud.com/kruai/eggs-in-spaaace-death-egg-zone-remix

i like it a lot, sorry i cant really provide much criticism as i like it the way it is.

No, he's right. Sidechaining is always great, but you should not put it on everything. I never put it on a FOCUS, which is the main melody, and if I do, it's very light.

Oh! All right then. I guess I really hadn't thought about using less of it on the melody! Thanks for your input--I'll lessen the sidechain on the focus and see how that sounds.