* Your real name: Justin Landry

* Your email address: musicphreak48@yahoo.com

* Your website: http://www.youtube.com/draconiator

* Your userid: 20634

Submission Information

* The remix:

* Name of game(s) arranged: Donkey Kong Country 3

* Name of individual song(s) arranged: Rocket Run

* Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc. : Sometimes, when people get NO'd, they get all discouraged and start hating on the judges for rejecting their work.

Not me. I hate you for an entirely different reason.

You see, when I got NO'd, I became so full of inspiration, that I might have literally exploded (Trying to make me explode, eh? ). So I was MORE than pleased to start working on it again. After most of the day today, and after working on a personal song for the family party on Christmas Eve about an elf that doesn't want to shovel reindeer crap, here is Rocket Rave, the ReSub (had a very saw-y lead, with a corncob...that's enough of that.)

I also used dblue Glitch...sparingly though, because I heard you people don't like it that much.

But yeah. Here is Rocket Rave, Take 2. Countdown courtesy Just64Helpin/JH/JH sounds/whatevernamehesknownasnow

(I don't really hate you by the way. I just wanted to be funny.)

Nice improvement on having the soundscape fit together better, and trimming down the arrangement a little helped as well. It's still a bit on the long side, but there is enough going on that is interesting and melodic to keep my attention. The glitches were cool, all the transitions were fixed up, and though the sounds are still a bit on vanilla side, the revisions kicked this up over the bar for me.

Yes

I agree with Andrew, this is a definite improvement on the soundscape, and while it is running a little long, it's still manages to keep me focused throughout. I'm still not entirely sold on some of the sounds, though, especially the main synth that first comes in. That being said, I'm still for giving this a nod, because it's not a dealbreaker, and I was able to get used to it after a couple listens. I'll look forward to even better submissions from you!

YES

• 2 months later...

A harder call than last time, but there's a lot of little things that are still holding this back for me, some that were issues last time too. First, though the lead is better than a bell lead, the filtering on it makes it weak, it just never sounds like the strong full-bodied lead that this song needs. What really needed to be filtered down instead was that off-beat synth, which was more prominent than the lead at times. Snare was still not a very nice sound, though OK. The high-end also felt a little hot overall, and on the crashes, sometimes there was distortion.

The glitch gating stuff never sounded right to me - the timing seemed off, and the full volume drop-out was too distracting. The 3:15 section was strange too, something you were doing there was causing compression to cramp down on everything. You might need to check if you have some frequency conflicts there or something, it hurt the flow. The countdown was too loud.

I hate when I'm just listing a bunch of nitpicks but it takes its toll when there are so many. Sorry, gotta push for another version of this.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

nice expansion and additions to the melody. the genre adaptation works pretty well though the arrangement leans a bit on the repetitive side imo. the filter makes the lead sound really repressed. it doesn't cut through the arrangment the way it should. the snare didn't have much bite either; I think it'd sound better without so much reverb. personally I think the kick should have been shorter and punchier too.

gotta echo Vinnie, at 3:15, some weird fading/overcompression going on there. I liked some of the glitches, though the one at 5:43 definitely felt off to me. otherwise, the production ain't bad, your synths are nice, and theres some nice sidechaining (esp. 4:24) and automation. just needs another coat of polish to push it over the bar imo.

NO(resub)

• 3 weeks later...

Gotta agree with Vinnie and Drew. Not a bad arrangement but there's some weird over-compression stuff going on that makes the whole thing sound hollow in the middle (as odd as THAT sounds). 4:54 lacks the impact you were going for I think. That lead is really not cutting through the soundscape the way you want it to, and the "rocket" rumbling is fairly indistinct and bleeds in with the snare. There's seems to be a lot of compressed reverb decay in the percussion, which makes things sound weird.

NO

First thing I notice is that the lead is too loud. Considerably so. It really shatters the soundscape, and ruins the immersion of the listening experience.

Aside from that, my main problem is that the arrangement gets a bit repetitive. There's not a whole lot of subtlety going on, and the sounds aren't compelling enough to make it a particularly enjoyable ambient listen. The key change is okay, but still that lead is too far out front.

NO