OCR02144 - Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening "House of Frogs"

djpretzel

Hehe, this is definitely smooth and mellow. The interplay between guitar and saxophone here is really fascinating; I haven't really heard anything quite like this before.

On the whole, the entire track feels very reflexive, both musically and philosophically in mood. This is an awesome job.

Needs them drums yo! I feel like that would have really taken this to new heights, but perhaps that's not the direction you were going for. I digress, this is still a great chillout jam and I'm particularly impressed by the sax performance (but what else is new with Brad? At this point I've pretty much come to expect his sax playing to be drop-dead amazing.) Very good album closer!

Great ballad. Not too syrupy, which is a great achievement considering the instrumentation. There's some feeling in this one that I can't quite put my finger on. Sometimes a ballad can be saved from being too sugary by being a touch bittersweet.. same thing there, except it's not really bittersweet either. Either way, I think it works very well and does it's own thing.

I don't think the spots at 02:40 and 03:04 resolve nicely (or something), they sound pretty off-key to me. I got used to them on the second listen though, which doesn't mean I think they're good, I just got used to them. :)

Needs them drums yo!

Adding drums would have been awful, that would have been needless inflation. I'm glad it never GOT REALLY HUGE, it's quite the right size as it is.

--Eino

Mmmm, smooth. The distorted guitar at 1:48 is a highlight, it just sounds great, as does the sax throughout. Interesting choice of solo as well - it throws in some unexpected notes that keep it from sounding too cheesy. Good decision on leaving out any percussion, I don't think it would have been necessary (could have had a sort of Massive Attack vibe going on if you'd added it though). Not much else to say really, perfect end to a fantastic album.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

So far removed from Zelda music as you can get; all the shrill highs that made Link's Awakening's score so iconic and memorable for me have been melted way down by EXTREEEEEEEME mellowness. And by extreme mellowness, I mean... just copious quantities of mellow.

The result does border on saccharine at certain times, but I personally think it sidesteps that whole vibe by being so technically profound and committed to its approach. It's smooth, rich, warm and sounds like it belongs at the tail-end of a 80s cop movie.

A great, collaborative take on a difficult and unremarkable source.

• 1 year later...

That sax is freaking sweet. Sax with rough, hard guitar around it is an incredible idea that I never would have thought of. It's like badass and sexy put together and I liked those parts the most. Great mellow ReMix and while I wasn't crazy about the ending, that's one small nitpick on an amazing song. Damn good work.

• 3 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02144 - Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening "House of Frogs"