Strange Win 7 Folder Problem [FIXED]

Drayzon

So I've looked around on the interwebs for a while, and I can't find anyone with a problem even slightly like this. My folders don't load properly anymore in Windows Explorer. It started with a sample pack that wouldn't copy at all, and as of now, I am unable to delete it even with the command prompt. Instead, when I go to view the folder (and now, any folder), the green bar in the address bar fills up VERY slowly to about 90%, and then freezes. Windows Explorer has been really slow as a result, and none of my thumbnails load anymore. This isn't a critical issue, but it's certainly a problem. I still need to run a scan with Malware Bytes, but I'm putting it off until I'm certain that's what I need to do. So is there anyone out there who knows how to fix this - or at least put me in the right direction?

EDIT: Aaaaaaand now my Computer folder doesn't load. If I type C:\ into the address bar I get there fine, but just going to my Computer folder gives me the same problem - my address bar gets to about 90% full, and then just hangs.

No reason in particular, I was just busy. I just finished one though, and it did find something - but removing it didn't fix the problem.

And I highly doubt it's the hard drive - I just got this laptop back with a brand new one not even a month ago after my old one crashed. And it's not like I'm having trouble accessing any other folders - just my Computer menu, and my thumbnails just don't load.

EDIT: Also, if I have my start menu set to display computer as a menu, that works just fine - it just doesn't work if I have it as a link.

For deleting from the command line, something you may want to try is to run cmd as an admin. Easiest way to do this is to type 'cmd' into the start menu search box and hit Ctrl + Shift + Enter.

Thumbnails may have been disabled somehow, to check open up 'folder options' in the control panel, select the view tab and the first option should not be checked. Explorer not loading the Computer folder is rather odd, can't say that I have seen that before so, but I will think about it and I may come up with something other then a repair install or restoring a previous backup.

Could still be a hard drive problem even if it is new, it's not unheard of for computers to arrive with broken parts.

For deleting from the command line, something you may want to try is to run cmd as an admin. Easiest way to do this is to type 'cmd' into the start menu search box and hit Ctrl + Shift + Enter.

Alright, I'll try that - though it should run in Admin anyways.

Thumbnails may have been disabled somehow, to check open up 'folder options' in the control panel, select the view tab and the first option should not be checked. Explorer not loading the Computer folder is rather odd, can't say that I have seen that before so, but I will think about it and I may come up with something other then a repair install or restoring a previous backup.

No, I already checked my folder options, and reset it to default just to see if that made a difference. It wasn't checked in the first place, and it isn't now. Thanks though.

EDIT: Well, when I woke up this morning, everything was fixed - which is weird, because I didn't even shutdown last night. Thanks for all the help, though.