Splinter Cell: Conviction, "One Moment of Ecstasy"

Clem

While awaiting mod review for my Halflife mix, I thought I would post this project that I started working on a couple weeks ago. This one has a very different sound from my other mix, though it does take a pretty sinister turn towards the end.

I think it's pretty close to being finished.

Heres a link to it: http://tindeck.com/listen/pmqv

Source:

P.S. I'm not sure what the rules are on posting more than one mix at a time. I'm only doing it because my last one is very close to submission (I hope so anyway).

While awaiting mod review for my Halflife mix, I thought I would post this project that I started working on a couple weeks ago. This one has a very different sound from my other mix, though it does take a pretty sinister turn towards the end.

I think it's pretty close to being finished.

Heres a link to it: http://tindeck.com/listen/pmqv

Source:

P.S. I'm not sure what the rules are on posting more than one mix at a time. I'm only doing it because my last one is very close to submission (I hope so anyway).

great track, especially when the guitar solos come in, but make the intro more interesting.

About intro: Nice electronics(what are you using??), but not interesting. It may be changed if you use here powerful synth drums with some velocity figure or distorted drums with same effect(which you have now) or something. You have nice imagination, so I think its not problem to you(made cool effect). Otherwise, its kind empty, some "far" effected guitar will be great to fill it. Everything I said is just in my opinion.

Now solo goes!!! Awesome!! But drums.. I don't think this drum's reverb fists to your awesome lead. Too long, to fat, too much imo. Same with overdriven rhythm guitars to me. Sounds kind wrong to my ears. I think if you take your lead for basis to chose sound effect for rhythms and drums in this section, you find some more power and beautiful.

Outro: AWESOME!! I've got nothing to say.

P.S. Sorry for my english

My subwoofer seems to have hit my body's frequency of resonance near the beginning. When the bass cut out I suddenly had a headache.

I wasn't fond of the initial guitar part but it turns out it makes a fabulous segue into the song's climax which is beyond perfect.

No criticism, just wanted to drop some praise and to thank you for reminding me of the high point of that game's soundtrack.

http://tindeck.com/listen/rbcj

Significant changes throughout the first minute and a half or so. It might not yet be where it needs to be, but I think it's a significant improvement. I have no experience with these kind of sounds so I'm open to any suggestions on how to make em better, of course.

I also toned the reverb down for the rhythm guitar and drums in the climax. Let me know if it still sounds off.

"what are you using??"

if you're referring to the string sounding pad like thing that comes in with the bass, I made it by using realistic string samples as a modulator in a vocoder with a synth choir as the carrier with some automated filtering going on. Kinda wierd idea but I think it works pretty well.

if you're referring to the string sounding pad like thing that comes in with the bass, I made it by using realistic string samples as a modulator in a vocoder with a synth choir as the carrier with some automated filtering going on. Kinda wierd idea but I think it works pretty well.

Were you just clicking random buttons until something sounded cool? I can't imagine a thought process that would lead somebody to that combination.

It sounds to me like half of the track is intro. You waiting for something.. Something hit your head and blow your mind or something. But nothing happens. Too long imo. As I said before, something is missing in this part of mix. Everything great in stereo(right, left), but expecting for something goes in center.. My opinion about drums in this part remains same.

Now about climax. Don't get me wrong! But I don't hear drums section at all. And hi-hat in left channel drives me crazy in bad way unfortunately. Sounds like mad snake:-? Too much in highs and I don't feel any power in drums. This reverb makes your drums too far from AWESOME guitars. I'm as good in explanations, as in english.. Sorry. Try to force your drums and don't use reverb at all. Hear what happens and I think you will know what to do. Use some EQ on it (in mid-highs I think and try to force 1-2db in low). I think you'll understand that drums needs some power and light reverb in most cases.

Update http://tindeck.com/listen/xffe

I see what your saying about something just being missing in the first minute and a half or so. I'm not entirely sure what to do about it just yet, but I've started by bringing up the synth lead that kicks in at about 1:00 and gave it a little flourish at the end to lead into the next part. I also added a few little details here and there throughout the first minute to make it sound more interesting

As for the what to do with the drums... I have no trouble admitting that percussion is one of my weak points. I'll see what I can do with some of your ideas for the next version.

I also made some pretty big changes to the mixing on the drums. In the last version, I had the reverb cut out just in time for the climax, but there were still some EQ and compression issues holding them back from sounding awesome. I tried fixing em up for this version. Does it sound any better? And yes, those hats were way too hot. mad snake indeed :-D. Tell me if they still sound irritating.

I think that in general, the way I have the song slowly build up to the "chorus" part at about 1:00, followed by an interlude starting at 1:30, works reasonably well. It's a pretty nonstandard song structure, but I suppose that's part of working with a source tune that's really nothing more than a melody and some ambiance.

"Were you just clicking random buttons until something sounded cool?"

Not necessarily (not this time at least). I wanted a string sound that was kinda electronic (like in the source), so I figured a vocoder could do to my strings what it is usually used to do to a voice. It worked!