OCR02241 - *YES* Final Fantasy 8 'SeeK'

OceansAndrew

Game: Final Fantasy 8

Songs: Find Your Way, The Landing, The Oath, The Extreme

ReMixer name: Lastair

User ID: 892

Featuring snappleman on lead guitars, and norg on rhythm guitars/bass (Chapman Stick).

Comment:

Arrangement-wise my main goal was to use some of my favorite material from the game, not simply with the source songs following each other in a medley-ish sequence but by weaving them together more naturally into a song that could stand on its own.

sources:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka2Ek-g8Sxk

Oh that's strange. I thought it was about 6pm but it appears to be prog'o'clock. I must fix my watch.

Excellent sources. I have an extremely old wip I made with the same approach of source weaving. It's tricky stuff and you've handled it well, the arrangement is pretty sweet.

Snapple and Norg on guitars is always a good thing. Performances are rockin'. Nice chapman stick solo in the middle there.

I am little torn on the production. Everything is audible and fairly edgy, but so many of the elements sound dry to me. The orchestral elements and snare especially. Even the lead guitars could possible benefit from some more audible delay or reverb or something. I don't think it's a deal breaker or anything, as it's arguably a taste thing but I'll let you know anyway in case you agree in retrospect.

YES

EDIT: Just had a word with him. Someone helped him with the mix and then dissapeared, and it might not be possible to change anything, just fyi.

Some really strong performances, and though there are a few production choices i'm not completely sold on, the strengths far outweigh the weaknesses. The synth and some of the orch elements are a little dry, like Cain mentioned, but not enough to push this below the bar.

Rocking arrangement, very intelligent, and a lot of strong variation. I like it quite a bit, nice work. :-)

Yes

• 2 months later...

I've heard this a few times from WAY early stages. Arrangement has always been really strong and still is. Production is much better since last I heard it but still not all the way there. To me the orchestral elements sounded really stiff and dry but the guitar and drums made up for it in general.

In the end the strong arrangement keeps this afloat, great job!

YES