What's your go-to synth?

Well?

I'd say mine is Massive, since I know it real well and it's pretty versatile. I love how modular the envelopes are - though I'm sure I end up using those as a crutch at some points. On the other hand, I hate how the envelopes are ADSR, as opposed to AHDSR. I also have a hard time keeping my synth sounds simple, just because how powerful Massive is - most of my sounds end up way too huge and complex.

So what's yours? What do you like and dislike about it? What genres and sounds do you use it for?

Omnisphere. The way it uses samples means it quickly fills up what little memory I've got with big pad samples, and it's quite a powerhog. Still, it does just about everything, and the interface is really easy to use.

I hate having to use it multi-timbrally tho, Logic doesn't do multi-trimbral conveniently.

Other synths I use a lot are FM8 and Logic's own ES2, tho nowadays just to keep the computer running or because I have some nice, simple ES2 presets I've made before. Dunno how the rest of my top synth list looks, but Absynth and Massive are both there, somewhere. Among freebies I'd say FreeAlpha gets the most use.

Either Reason's Malström or the Korg microKORG. The Malström was the first softsynth I ever used, and it's so versatile I always find myself coming back to it, especially when I need a particularly filthy bassline :-) Similarly with the microKORG, I've had mine for so long now that I can just leap on it and start making noises with no fuss; it's pretty much second nature to me now, and I've had many a lush pad out of it over the years.

i borrow this baby :Dhttp://www.vintagesynth.com/moog/voyager.jpg

for vst's, sytrus and bio toxic (great sampler as well) blow any soft synth out the park. they just sound more fat then any other synth to me. i mean altho they same with fl , i bought them just to use them in other daws.

then theres massive only for its wavetables :P

Believe it or not, Mixcraft actually has two decent VSTs based off of Moog synthesizers.

MiniMoog >> MiniMogue VA (freebie)

MemoryMoog >> Messiah Memorymoon, which is actually great because this synth would be 40 dollars otherwise, along with it's "brother", Memorymoon synthesizer.

lots of soft synths are great, just arnt that fat *cough*massive*cough*

I've also been getting down with Cakewalk's z3ta, too. I like the way it sounds a *lot*, and it's very capable. The arpeggiator and effects are great, too (no arp in Massive :c). The interface is hardly very intuitive, though, and that's my biggest problem with it.

I thought no one else would say this :) It's definitely one of my faves; however, it seems like its default levels are WAY loud - first thing I do after loading it up is always taking it down relative to everything else.

Rob Papen Blue is another favorite, and I like Cakewalk Rapture as well.

Image-Line Harmless and Toxic Biohazard, Wusik.com Wusikstation, and Cakewalk z3ta+.

Harmless: Super-phat sounds are really easy to make. Great for deep basses, screaming leads, and those wobblin' dubstep sounds.

Toxic Biohazard: Tons of power under the hood. I'm very familiar with it, so I can make nearly any sound I want. Tends to be a bit CPU-hungry, though. Actually, that kinda applies to all my favorite synths....

Wusikstation: I realize this beast has more to it than just the presets, but I have yet to need anything but a quick look through the many banks available to my Wusik.com subscriber's account to find an utterly usable sound.

z3ta+: Super-powerful. Older technology, but still one of the most versatile synths ever made.

I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention 4Front TruePianos and Garritan Personal Orchestra, my two favorite "real instrument" plugins.