What's your go-to synth?

sytrus

it sounds good and is versatile, I also like how you can select the oversampling mode where a lot of synths just default oversample, this is good for me because I do a lot of stuff with intentional aliasing

the envelopes can be a pain at times though, I kind of wish they'd make like a "sytrus light" or something, a stripped down version of it with the same filters but just simple ADSR knobs(yes sytrus technically has these, their default mapping is horrid though, like you can turn the attack knob all the way up and it's still relatively fast) and one page interface

So, this probably makes me an ass...

But lately, my go-to synth has been TAL's Juno replica. It's primitive as all hell, but I love its sound, and I've been using that baby in just about everything recently.

yes, it sounds awesome. although i always end up making that same delayed rectangle LFO driven burbly octave arpeggio patch with it. i can't stop myself, it's THE most obvious thing to do! every sound needs it.

other then bio toxic im lovin abletons operator it has so meny options and waveform from normal to 8bit to 16bit and 32bit ; D i think zircon already said it but i will say it again, Zebra 2 is also great!

but my go to synths for vst are Abletons Operator, Imagelines, bio toxic , sytrus (retarded interface but it sound good tho) , and Zebra 2.

• 7 months later...

This thread needs a bump :P

Massive is a yes. The only thing I don't like about Massive is how un-modulative it is.

Don't get me wrong, the wiring on that thing is incredible, but I don't like how low the number of editable parameters is.

I guess my main pet peeve with Massive is that you can't change wavetables mid-track unless they were to add a wavetable switch control. (otherwise you need more than one instance of massive with otherwise-identical control settings, but different wavetables)...

Omnisphere is nice, and I have Z3ta, I've used Reaktor and Massive and Fm8, but frankly, the best Soft Synth I have ever used is Zebra 2.

Zebra 2 is highly programmable, yes, that's all well and good, more importantly, it heavily emulates the signal flow of an actual modular synth system, but even more importantly is how it sounds.

It's the only soft synth I've heard that actually SOUNDS analog.

Hans Zimmer said in an interview that he was so happy with how Zebra 2 sounded, he hired Howard Scarr to come in and work at Remote Control and program all the patches for the Score for Inception, which he then admitted was 99% Zebra. Outstanding.

I recently had the Musical Sound Designer for Bear McCreary come in and do a chat on musical sound design for my students--he's a hardware synth freak! He has a collection of hardware synths that would make Keith Emerson proud, but when he programs patches for clients, he recommends Zebra as the only soft synth he likes.

Omnisphere is good, but man, Zebra is just UNBELIEVABLE.

(otherwise you need more than one instance of massive

Yup. Thanks to the Kore browser it won't listen to MIDI Program Changes and there's no way to make it flip between presets - so that's the only way.

It would've been better if the entire list of presets was just exposed in default .fxp format with the browser only making parts of the huge list invisible, but alas.