Harmony of a Hunter - The Metroid 25th Anniversary album

Darren1986

My name is Darren, i'm the founder of the Metroid enthusiast website, Shinesparkers. As part of our efforts to mark the 25th anniversary of the Metroid franchise, I came up with the idea of an album covering music from a variety of Metroid games from Metroid NES to Metroid: Other M. Harmony of a Hunter is the largest and most diverse Metroid album yet, with 36 tracks covered by 24 artists. It covers a broad range of genres from various levels of talent and experience, all paying tribute to this great franchise.

We hope that this will satisfy fans who want to see the anniversary marked in style, and will hopefully be something that gamers enjoy too. Spread the word and celebrate the anniversary of Metroid.

Harmony of a Hunter will go live on the 7th August from our website, www.shinesparkers.net

Stay tuned for more updates as we have them.

~~~~~~

Updates:

7th August 2011: Harmony of a Hunter released on time, no delays :D

31st July 2011: Harmony of a Hunter website goes live: www.shinesparkers.net/harmonyofahunter

31st July 2011: Harmony of a Hunter: Final preview video:

30th July 2011: Disc 1 mastered, track list finalised

25th July 2011: Track list currently being finalised

18th July 2011: Mastering begins

16th July 2011: Lee "The Orichalcon" Barber will be mastering the album due to Aaron's busy schedule

10th July 2011: Deadline reached with minor exceptions. Mastering to begin 17th July

7th July 2011: Second preview released:

3rd July 2011: Trimmed down the album based upon what I know won't be completed in time. One week remains

12th June 2011: First preview released:

31st May 2011: We are now closing the album to further suggestions

Important notice:

Some websites have been reporting that this is an official OCR album and crediting OCRemix as the website releasing this. This is NOT the case. I have been informed that this will not be an official OCR album. Instead, the album will be released through my website Shinesparkers (www.shinesparkers.net) our Metroid fan website and the wider Metroid community. OCR have expressed an interest to feature certain tracks and we look forward to seeing what they wish to do to help. The album was organised here on OCR but was never intended to be an official release for the website, merely a platform to organise things. We thank OCR for allowing us to set this up and we hope fans will enjoy what we have come up with.

Disc 1

1. In the Beginning… (Title Screen, Metroid NES) by Mercury Adept

2. Danger in old Tourian (The Space Pirates appear, Super Metroid) by DoctorM64

3. Earthroot (Brinstar Red Soil, Super Metroid) by VikingGuitar

4. Bioluminescence (Sector Four, Metroid Fusion) by Theophany

5. Infectious Fear (Sector One, Metroid Fusion) by The Fishhead

6. Desperation (Escape, Metroid NES) by Mozzaratti

7. Into The Green World (Brinstar Vegetation, Super Metroid) by Sam Dillard

8. Leader’s Lair (Ridley’s Lair, Metroid NES) by Prophetik

9. The Caves of Brinstar (Brinstar, Metroid NES) by Aries T

10. Ashes to Ashes (Lower Norfair, Super Metroid) by Zircon

11. Kraid’s Campfire Ballad (Kraid’s Lair, Metroid NES) by Sebastian Mårtensson ft. Kristin Björkebäck

12. Cave Dweller (Vs Ridley, Super Metroid) by Prophetik

13. The Mission’s Briefing (Last Instructions, Metroid Fusion) by Aries T

14. Metroid Legacy (Introduction, Super Metroid) by Omni-Psyence

15. MQ2 (Metroid Queen, Metroid 2: Return of Samus) by Stemage & Chunkstyle

16. Bonus: Mission Complete: Ending Suite (Various themes) by Sam Dillard

17. Bonus: Metroid Medley (Various themes) by Derris-Kharlan

Disc 2

1. Parasite X (Parasite Queen, Metroid Prime) by Mazedude

2. Echoes In Eternity (Title Theme, Metroid Prime 2) by DJTheFishhead

3. Frozen Utopia (Phendrana Drifts, Metroid Prime) by Mesmonium

4. Lore Hunter (Bryyo, Metroid Prime 3) by Darkesword

5. Hostile Shadows (Various, Metroid Prime 2) by Mozzaratti

6. Melting Sun (Rundas Battle, Metroid Prime 3) by Pyro Paper Planes

7. Solitude (Tallon Overworld 2, Metroid Prime) by Zircon & C-GPO

8. Corrupt Beginnings (Title theme, Metroid Prime 3) by George R. Powell

9. Path of Ruin (Chozo Ruins, Metroid Prime) by Darkesword

10. Entering A New World (Tallon Overworld, Metroid Prime) by Aries T

11. The Adventure Continues (Mission Final, Metroid Prime 1,2,3) by The Fishhead

12. Thunder Shooter (Vs Kanden, Metroid Prime Hunters) by Chernabogue & VikingGuitar

13. Symbol Of The Ancients (Artifact Temple, Metroid Prime) by Aries T

14. Lone Star (Ending theme, Metroid Prime) by Pyro Paper Planes

15. Omega Cannon (Title theme, Metroid Prime Hunters) by VikingGuitar

16. In the End… (Title theme, Metroid Other M) by Mercury Adept

17. Bonus: The Crimson Depths (Kraid’s Lair & Brinstar Red) by Sam Dillard

18. Bonus: Phazon Corruption (Various themes) by Video Game Music Choir

19. Bonus: What’s Past is Prologue (Metroid: Other M commercial music) by Theophany

Big fan of the series' music (for most part), I've probably got dozens of unfinished Metroid mixes in various stages of development. If I finish any, and this project is still around then, I'll send them your way. On that note, any preference as to how we should contact you?

You may wanna decide what sound or style you're going for, as well as if you're gonna set up some requirement for all Metroid games to have a remix or if there are any particular tracks you're especially keen on getting remixed.

Hmm... well, looking at the history of OCR projects and how long they can take, time is not on your side. Many/most projects take at least a month or two just to organize the remixers, followed by roughly 1-2 years before the music comes together. Why this is probably has to do with the fact that writing remixes is something most of us do in our spare time, which is generally not that much per day, if you know what I mean.

Of course, there are exceptions to these arbitrary time frames (Ah, the good ol' 'Hurry' project is coming to mind :mrgreen:), but you'll really need to hustle to get this off the ground. Making a thread here is a good start, but you need to set up project forums pretty quick and actively recruit remixers to give the project a push forward if you want to get it finished in time. Figuring out what style/styles should be accepted would be important, too, as Rozo suggested.

It's not that I think it's a bad idea. You'll just need to hustle if you want your idea to come to fruition.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys!

If anyone wishes to contact me about this, I can send you a PM with details on how to do that.

Yes I am aware that these projects do take a while, but if it's not done in time, various songs could be released to mark it, as suggested above...then the album can be released when it's done. I would however, like to aim for that August 2011 date. I still feel 8 months is long enough to pull something together and I have around 6-8 people interested before actually posting here, who are keen fans and who I feel would be able to contribute.

I'm not going to be too picky when it comes to quality on this, i'm not looking for a masterpiece, this is a fan based project for people who love the franchise and are reasonably talented who can make great sounding music.

In regards to tracks, i'm looking for suggestions. I think there will be a few no brainers such as Brinstar Green, Ridley and the Escape theme. I also had ideas for things such as a "Space Pirate suite" with various different Space Pirate related themes. "Ing Suite" with various boss themes from Metroid Prime 2? Like I said, just throwing ideas around! :)

@Theophany I would love to have you on board, your Zelda remixes are very nice indeed, I wonder how you would fair with Metroid though.

@Rozovian You too also offer something I like, you have a range of additions to OCRemix. Again, I wonder how you would fair with Metroid.

@Emperor Charlemagne Yes that is indeed me! Hello there :) I would be interested in hearing what you have to offer, feel free to give me an example of your work.

Additionally, does anyone have any suggestions of themes that absolutely should be in the album? What themes have stood out over the past 25 years? If we can establish a rough amount of songs we may have a better idea of what we're looking at.

I actually do not like OCRemix because in my opinion the judgement of new remixes (by users and staff) seems to me arrogant, nitpicker-ish and ONLY focused on the sound quality not on the arrangement itself - which only lets remixers access their stuff who already got far more equipment than just REASON.

However, as I told you on YouTube, I'll be part of the project. Hope to have a great time. Lets make this baby a huge thing. :-D

I actually do not like OCRemix because in my opinion the judgement of new remixes (by users and staff) seems to me arrogant, nitpicker-ish and ONLY focused on the sound quality not on the arrangement itself - which only lets remixers access their stuff who already got far more equipment than just REASON.

However, as I told you on YouTube, I'll be part of the project. Hope to have a great time. Lets make this baby a huge thing. :-D

Well you're entitled to your opinions but can you please consider the feelings of users here? It's very kind of them to allow us to make this thread and I don't think saying things that could be considered insulting, is really called for.

I am however, pleased to have you on board of course.

Well you're entitled to your opinions but can you please consider the feelings of users here? It's very kind of them to allow us to make this thread and I don't think saying things that could be considered insulting, is really called for.

Hah, we're just laughing at him. We know there are lots of terrible arrangements that get rejected despite good production values. Besides, why complain about a good arrangement when there's bad production to point out?

But if you wanna whine about ocr, start a thread about it instead of hijacking this one for it. I'm sure the judges would like to hear what they're doing wrong.

Darren, pm me your email and any other contact info (like IMs), I'll show you some of my metroid wips.

Hah, we're just laughing at him. We know there are lots of terrible arrangements that get rejected despite good production values. Besides, why complain about a good arrangement when there's bad production to point out?

But if you wanna whine about ocr, start a thread about it instead of hijacking this one for it. I'm sure the judges would like to hear what they're doing wrong.

Darren, pm me your email and any other contact info (like IMs), I'll show you some of my metroid wips.

Given you an add on msn :)

I'm not going to be too picky when it comes to quality on this, i'm not looking for a masterpiece, this is a fan based project for people who love the franchise and are reasonably talented who can make great sounding music.

This along with the fact that you seem to have started your recruiting before coming on OCR suggests to me that having this be an official OC ReMix album isn't a main goal. If that is the case, I see no reason why this couldn't be done by your intended guideline (throwing quality standards somewhat to the wind has the ability to negate some of the time restrictions in some cases). If you are considering this to become an official OC ReMix album, there are quite a few things that need to be taken into account. Regardless, I wish you the best of luck and look forward to seeing what you can pull out in your intended timeline.

I actually do not like OCRemix because in my opinion the judgement of new remixes (by users and staff) seems to me arrogant, nitpicker-ish and ONLY focused on the sound quality not on the arrangement itself - which only lets remixers access their stuff who already got far more equipment than just REASON

AFAIK there are quite a few mixes that have been made primarily or entirely in REASON, but I guess that's besides the point. However, considering that you've already made up your opinion about things, no point in trying to point out things like how arrangement and production are both evaluated and that being picky is just another way of saying "standards of quality.

I only use Reason... :nicework:

Hahaha! Awesome. Don't let truth stand in the way of your rant. :lol:

I don't know who uses what. The DAW used has nothing to do with what makes it on the site.

We try to treat them equally, but arrangement's also more important that production when it comes down to it.

We don't regret the high bar; just because we're a hobbyist community doesn't mean we don't encourage people to actually get good at making music. The laundry list of ReMixers who have grumbled about the bar being unfair when they were constantly rejected, but stuck around and improved, will tell you that a high bar has had a positive impact on their work as DIY musicians.

I actually do not like OCRemix because in my opinion the judgement of new remixes (by users and staff) seems to me arrogant, nitpicker-ish and ONLY focused on the sound quality not on the arrangement itself - which only lets remixers access their stuff who already got far more equipment than just REASON

We don't only focus on sound quality, it's just that's usually what's wrong with everything. In terms of arrangement and stuff a lot of people are really talented, they just do really poor at getting it from their brain to their speakers.

About this album, I might be willing to do a track. I'll take a closer look at your tracklist later tonight. I highly doubt you can get this done in half a year, but it would be fun to try.

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated! I hope we can keep this topic on track, it almost slipped just then ;)

All those tracks won't be done most likely, it was just a list of themes I personally like, and I felt it was good starting ground to build the foundations for this album.

It's early days, but are there any takers for any of these themes?

This along with the fact that you seem to have started your recruiting before coming on OCR suggests to me that having this be an official OC ReMix album isn't a main goal. If that is the case, I see no reason why this couldn't be done by your intended guideline (throwing quality standards somewhat to the wind has the ability to negate some of the time restrictions in some cases). If you are considering this to become an official OC ReMix album, there are quite a few things that need to be taken into account. Regardless, I wish you the best of luck and look forward to seeing what you can pull out in your intended timeline.

AFAIK there are quite a few mixes that have been made primarily or entirely in REASON, but I guess that's besides the point. However, considering that you've already made up your opinion about things, no point in trying to point out things like how arrangement and production are both evaluated and that being picky is just another way of saying "standards of quality.

My first 5 remixes on OCR were entirely done in reason LOL

I'm fairly certain you have no idea what you're talking about.

I must insist we stop drawing attention away from why this thread was created in the first place. You guys are so much better than this, and the project has a lot of interest and potential to do well. Let us not argue, let us focus on putting out a fantastic album to mark this occasion. Anyway, moving on..

Is there any tracks that people would be interested in doing outside of who I have approached already? There appears to be a lack of interest in the Prime Trilogy and Fusion right now...any takers?

Hey guys *bump*

I just wanted to say that so far, there has been a great deal of interest in this, we've got around 12 people that have expressed an interest, some big names, some not so familiar names but all have their own unique style and i've seen something in them all.

I figured i'd start putting together a list of themes that could work for the album, these are some of my personal favourites, they don't actually all have to be on the album, these are merely suggestions. I want to work on getting this list down to a realistic number. I've been hearing a few WiPs here and there and i'm pleased with what i'm hearing. Here's the list for your viewing pleasure, let me know if you would like to take on any of these songs, or alternatively...suggest some that you think could work!

Title Screen (Metroid NES) Reserved

Brinstar (Metroid NES)

Kraid’s Lair (Metroid NES) Potentially Reserved

Escape (Metroid NES)

Norfair (Zero Mission) Reserved

Chozo Ruins 1 (Zero Mission)

Battle with Miniboss (Zero Mission)

The Tunnel (Metroid II – Return of Samus) Reserved

Secret of the Chozo (Metroid II – Return of Samus)

Metroid Queen (Metroid II – Return of Samus)

Brinstar Green (Super Metroid) Reserved

Brinstar Red (Super Metroid) Reserved

Lower Norfair (Super Metroid) Reserved

Ridley (Super Metroid)

Sector 1 (Metroid Fusion)

Last Instructions (Metroid Fusion)

Nightmare (Metroid Fusion)

SA-X (Metroid Fusion)

Chozo Ruins (Metroid Prime) Reserved

Tallon Overworld 2 (Metroid Prime)

Phendrana Drifts (Metroid Prime)

Artifact Temple (Metroid Prime)

Vs Dark Samus (Metroid Prime 2)

Sanctuary Fortress (Metroid Prime 2)

Temple Grounds (Metroid Prime 2)

Bryyo (Metroid Prime 3)

Sky Town (Metroid Prime 3)

Ending (Metroid Prime 3)

Title theme (Metroid Prime Hunters)

Alinos (Metroid Prime Hunters)

Gorea (Metroid Prime Hunters)

Briefing (Metroid Other M)

Final Mission Resolve (Metroid Other M)

Ending (Metroid Other M)

I was also thinking that someone could combine various themes together:

Space Pirate Suite (The Space Pirates Appear (Super Metroid), Battle with Space Pirates (Metroid Prime)) Omega Pirate (Metroid Prime)

Ing Suite (Ing, Amorbis, Chykka, Quadraxis, Emperor Ing)

Ending Suite (Metroid NES, Metroid II, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion)

Thoughts?

Update: I've reserved a few tracks for various reasons, but just to clarify, none of these tracks are set in stone at this moment in time.

Hey, I got your email. :-o

I was already planning to do a Metroid Fusion mix, so this works into my favor big time, and perhaps yours tew. The song from Fusion I was going to do is

. I'm trying to finish off all projects but I may grab another track later. I've got like 500 project tracks to finish. :3

Hey, I got your email. :-o

I was already planning to do a Metroid Fusion mix, so this works into my favor big time, and perhaps yours tew. The song from Fusion I was going to do is

. I'm trying to finish off all projects but I may grab another track later. I've got like 500 project tracks to finish. :3

Hey! Excellent! Thanks for getting back to me! :) Although, the track is 7 seconds long..I wonder what you could offer..hmm well if you do decide to grab another track, let me know!

Guys, this all seems to be going well, a few people i've spoken to had tracks they already wanted to do and it almost feels like it came along at just the right moment. I understand that people are busy, so I do appreciate taking the time to do these things. I look forward to seeing what we can achieve together!

Hey! Excellent! Thanks for getting back to me! :) Although, the track is 7 seconds long..I wonder what you could offer..hmm well if you do decide to grab another track, let me know!

Guys, this all seems to be going well, a few people i've spoken to had tracks they already wanted to do and it almost feels like it came along at just the right moment. I understand that people are busy, so I do appreciate taking the time to do these things. I look forward to seeing what we can achieve together!

Also, can all people interested please PM me with their e-mail addresses so I can contact you further about the project?