OCR01282 - Killer Instinct "The Wolf of the Opera"

djpretzel

I actually still have the Killer Cuts soundtrack CD somewhere around, and remember this song quite well from KI..while this piano clanking attempts to revitalise the tune ,it sadly doesn't translate too well to my demanding ears :cry:

(i do like some solo piano remixes posted on ocr though, so its not a thing as simple as hating pianos..)

Maybe they should just change the name of this site to "Piano Arrangement Remix". For what it's worth though, at least this is a good song from a game I like. I like the interpretive aspect of the piece, and I think the composer did a good job with the flourishes and improvising at the beginning, and emulating the low string section of the original song at the halfway point, where the song really kicks in.

As a point of contention, I actually don't think it's dark or loud enough. Fortissimo man, fortissimo! Loud is good and especially in the low end we lose a bit of the original's 'oomph'. You might say it sounds a bit too sequenced, but overall it's a really elegant interpretation of the original, it just takes it in a completely different direction. Probably not going on my playlist, but still worth a listen.

I agree with a lot of the comments here that while the arrangement itself is well done and definitely passable, there is a lack of dynamic contrast throughout the whole piece (and it doesn't help that the piano sample itself isn't very strong either). If this were played live, it would obviously address those two major problems.

Yes, the arrangement is good; but it's a shame that it wasn't made more listenable.

I'm willing to grant all of you that in regards to the original piece, this mix is a bit off, but I've never seen that as a reason to knock an arrangement. And I readily admit that I am NOT a musician and can rarely tell the difference between live and well done sequenced recordings (save through reverb)...

However, as a piece, I think this is maybe not interesting, but enjoyable to listen to. It was mentioned earlier this is robotic, but then, so are most Bach pieces. The only reason they have any emotion to them at all is because the person playing it got sick of playing it the way it was specifically written.

I notice a lot with people involved in artistic industries, be they music, advertising, or more preferred method of illustration, people who get heavily involved in the methods and feelings of things tend to forget the wider audience of people who simply enjoy the act of, in this case, listening. Despite a piece like the Trial in Concert being a fantastic remix with a real human element and clear passion injected into the piece, its mere existence doesn't make this bad.

Bad is taking speaker fuzz and feedback and calling it music. This shows some creative direction, clear thinking as the original piece sounds quite different, and some good decisions in how to set it up.

Like I said, I like this one.

I agree with a lot of the comments here that while the arrangement itself is well done and definitely passable, there is a lack of dynamic contrast throughout the whole piece (and it doesn't help that the piano sample itself isn't very strong either). If this were played live, it would obviously address those two major problems.

Yes, the arrangement is good; but it's a shame that it wasn't made more listenable.

Lack of dynamic contrast is maybe do to the fact that the original hasn't got lot of dynamic contrast neither. I tried to stay close to the original, but with a touch of my own fantasy.

And about the Piano sample... It is in fact my very own piano you hear playing. Okay, it's a digital Roland, but the key's are sampled note by note. On top of that, I've played on a lot of different Grands, and this one sounds most like a Steinway, which is naturally, because the the samples are of a Steinway's.

And @ the fortissimo guy: I'm sorry, but my piano wouldn't go any louder without clipping the audio, and if I recorded too soft, there was a lot of noise when I raised the amplitude.

Lack of dynamic contrast is maybe do to the fact that the original hasn't got lot of dynamic contrast neither. I tried to stay close to the original, but with a touch of my own fantasy.

Yes, but it's not like most SNES game music composers where that concerned with dynamic contrast. The original is clearly not meant to sound like a classical arrangement for piano like this is, and it was obviously limited to the SNES sound capabilities. I think this mix would bear equally as much resemblance to the original and be a more realistic application into the genre of the arrangement with more contrast.

And about the Piano sample... It is in fact my very own piano you hear playing. Okay, it's a digital Roland, but the key's are sampled note by note. On top of that, I've played on a lot of different Grands, and this one sounds most like a Steinway, which is naturally, because the the samples are of a Steinway's.

After listening to this a bit more, I'm willing to admit that the problem is probably not in the sample but the constant repetition of some chords in a loud, choppy staccato delivery. I don't claim to know everything about piano arrangements, but the lack of subtlety in the delivery seems to be what is flattening out the sound of the piano.

I will start off by saying this is a fantastic mix of one of my all time favourite pieces of VG music. So welldone there.

But like others have mentioned it sounds too sequenced, it lacks feeling and emotion which is a shame because the way you have arranged this piece, it has enormous potential for that. I'd have to disagree with you when you said that the original didn't have much dynamic contrast because well, it did. In spades.

Can't fault the arrangement, just needs more oomph.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
:? cool remix but i think it's done better by darangen. go to his site the link is on this site and look for vgremix link and look for the song deck the claws.this verson is closer to the killer cuts verson. just with heavy guitar and snyth guitar riff's over the piano. very cool check this one out guy's :)

• 1 month later...

I miss that dog. I still have the Killer Cuts CD.

I really dig the piano work here; impressive playing. And I think there is enough contrast. At first listen, I liked the original more since there is so much more going on. After a few listens, I realized that this piano solo is very good in it's own accord. I would love to hear it in concert.

• 1 month later...

This game is a classic, and the way you brought out one of my favorite character themes of all time was spectacular. The piano layering was well done, and thank you for keeping in beat... it drives me nuts to listen to a song that can't choose which beat to follow. This one earned my liking... which isn't easy...

• 10 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01282 - Killer Instinct "The Wolf of the Opera"