3DS Preorders Starting 12/26

XZero

OK, check this out. It seems that someone got a hold of a finished 3DS off of the assembly line in a Chinese factory. Photos of it, and it partially disassembled are up for everyone's viewing pleasure.

http://nintendo3dsblog.com/nintendo-3ds-smuggled-off-a-chinese-assembly-line

The black one looks pretty damn nice. But that glossy finish... I bought a set of protective skin sheets for my DS Lite because of that glossy finish. It's a massive fingerprint and smudge magnet. Why don't we get matte finishes on anything any more?

Is this pretty much the new 3DS thread? The original one is almost three months old since its last post.

If so, then this may be of interest. We know that the 3DS can make a Mii by using the camera, but have you seen it do so in action yet?

Now you have. Looks pretty close to the persons face, but it also gives you options to change it in case you aren't happy with it.

I wanted to preorder one, but the employees at our Gamestop had no idea what we were talking about. Even still, they said we could unofficially preorder one and came up with the magical number of $50 to put down on the preorder. We decided not to for now. Maybe later, when they can give us some sort of guarantee.

I think that black one looks pretty damn sexy. It does, however, look like something that could get fingerprinty. Eh, whatever.

And Meeting_Gman, here's the issue. The $50 was not a magical number, even if they treated it like one. As of now, it's not officially listed in their preorder listing, which means when an employee presses F8 (or whichever shortcut leads to the reservation lists), it doesn't appear because there's no Systems tab. However, in the F10 search system, there is a 3DS SKU, and that's all they need. The employee just has to go into the reservation system while conducting a transaction and type in or copy over the 3DS SKU (or add it to the so-called "hot skus" list for easier access). From there, they can view the minimum deposit of $50 and do a standard preorder. The only thing that makes it unofficial is the fact that it's not yet been added to the standard preorder list.

Admittedly, and as I noted in an earlier post, the problem GameStop may run into is taking too many preorders. I'm sure they're monitoring it, but I remember when the Wii came out, there was a day about 1 month before the launch when up to 3 employees and 25-40 customers (depending on the store and its allocation) could reserve the system. That alleviated launch day problems with allocations. I doubt that Nintendo's given GameStop such concrete information for fear of leaks. Consequently, it's unlikely that the company will be able to fill all of the preorders on Day 1 unless they cut it off after reaching a fairly reasonable number per store. Thus, my approach is two-fold: preorder at a store where I know and am good friends with management, and get there on day 1 so they can't sell mine claiming the 48 hr. waiting period expired.

I just don't like to pre-order anything unless I know when it comes out and how much it will cost. Once nintendo releases that info, then I will reserve on right away, but I am torn as to whether I should reserve at EBGames (Gamestop) or a different store, like best buy. I know that EBGames likes to add pre-order bonuses, so if they do that, then I may go with them.

Also, I'm really confused on the whole launch day / pre-order thing. I know that if you don't pre-order, you just have to try to get one when you can. But when you do preorder, do you still have to wait in line for the store to open? Is there a limit on how many pre-orders can be made (I think someone mentioned this...)? Will the employees turn others away but keep your pre-ordered one safe? I've pre-ordered both the DSi and the DSiXL, but there was no lines or even other people getting them when I went in. I don't know. The world of system launches is new and strange to me.

Most stores will call you (if they have your phone number) and tell you that your pre-order is in, and you can pick it up any time you want.

Now, that's the proper way to do it. The actual way, however...

You can expect to pre-order at GameStop (or any place, really) and then get there on launch day to find that they gave yours away to the first people that walked in. They would have saved yours, but they forgot to hold one for you, and they didn't bother looking at the computer to see how many people pre-ordered. Sorry, there's nothing they can do, but if you want to wait a few more days, they can get another one in?

They really will try to keep your deposit there. Its not doing anything for you, but it's in their hands. If they don't honor your pre-order by having it, get your deposit back and hit another store.

Uh, the fuck?

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/hardware/spec/index.html

Specifically, this part:

ニンテンドー3DSソフトをプレイする場合・・・・・約3時間~5時間

ニンテンドーDSソフトをプレイする場合・・・・・・約5時間~8時間

※画面の明るさによってバッテリー持続時間が変わります。

※バッテリー持続時間は目安です。使用状況によって短くなることがあります。

Google Translate gives this translation:

Charging time about 3 hours 30 minutes

Nintendo 3DS battery life if you play our games for about three hours to five hours

Nintendo DS when you play our games for about 5 hours to 8 hours

The battery life varies depending on the brightness of the screen ※.

※ The approximate battery life. May be less depending on operating conditions.

3 to 5 hours for 3DS games? 5 to 8 hours for DS games? And they're saying it might be less than that? That means if you turn all the features off and lower you brightness to minimum, you might get 5 hours?

What the fuck, Nintendo? Battery life was the second best thing about your portables (games being first, of course). Now you're getting less battery life than the first PSP did?

I think I'm going to wait for either the next version with better battery life, or until they can figure out a better way of doing this. 5 hours is just unacceptable. That's almost as long as the charging time.

Not at those hours.

Some are saying "but that's with everything turned on, the translation is kind of messy, trust us, that's the worst case scenario, it won't be that bad!"

If they're right, then great! We get some double digit hours of battery life. But if those specs are the actual hours, then good god, there's goes playing anything for any decent amount of time. RPGs are going to have to be played while plugged in.

I'm really hoping this is with max settings, and Nintendo (for some reason) didn't specify so.

really with the 3ds it seems like it would be wisest to wait the next couple years for the obligatory redesign. by then glasses-less 3d will be more refined, the price will have gone down, and yeah maybe they'll get a better battery. not to mention there'll be a ton of good games on the market by that point.

3 to 5 hours for 3DS games? 5 to 8 hours for DS games? And they're saying it might be less than that? That means if you turn all the features off and lower you brightness to minimum, you might get 5 hours?

What the fuck, Nintendo? Battery life was the second best thing about your portables (games being first, of course). Now you're getting less battery life than the first PSP did?

I think I'm going to wait for either the next version with better battery life, or until they can figure out a better way of doing this. 5 hours is just unacceptable. That's almost as long as the charging time.

I think Nintendo's obsession with 3D has made them bite off more than they can chew. I just read a post on Tiny Cartridge of a RUMOR that 3DS games could go up to $40. And that worked reeeeeal well for some PSP/DS games, didn't it Nintendo?

This stuff on the 3DS's battery may not be true, if it is, along with the rumors of games prices, then that's two strikes against them for me. The price point of the handheld itself might be strike three. I'm truly starting to believe in the opinions that Nintendo is losing touch. Not with the undefinable and obnoxious hardcore, but with the expanded audience they gained from the Wii, and DS.

I don't even think it's possible for Nintendo to make a handheld that only lasts 5 hours with all the settings lowered. 3D turned off, lowest brightness should get you no less than 7 or 8 hours, and if you turn off wifi/street pass it should be more. From what I understand, the 3DS has that wifi thing going all the time, searching for other 3DSs. That could be a cause of the lower battery life.

Regardless, I am going to buy it day one and I am going to love it.

Well, that's something I've heard before: the 3D display uses/ does not use more power. If the 3DS renders both frames regardless if the 3D effect is active or not, it's the same computational power, therefore the same amount of power.

But if the 3D screen uses power while it's active, then it's a power drain when it's on, and not a drain when it's off.

I haven't heard anything concrete on either side.

As for wireless draining the battery...

Nintendo-3DS-Latest-Photos-Leaked-7-300x225.jpg

There is a wireless switch on the side, so you must be able to turn it off. I would hope that would save a fuckload of power.

Also, Dead or Alive trailer is out.

http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/doad/

I don't see why it would render all 800 pixels when the feature is turned off, but then again, I'm not making the 3DS, so I don't really have a right to object.

What would be nice is if there was a setting where you could turn off the 3D, regardless of where the slider is. That would save processing power and battery life.

Also: I've never been a huge fan of fighting games (I like Tekken and Smash Bros., though) and aside from Prof. Layton, the launch titles don't interest me: http://ds.ign.com/articles/114/1143155p1.html

Ridge Racer! It's Riiiiidge Racer!

Yeah, the Japanese launch titles kind of suck... I'm hoping that the North American launch titles are better. More games we want, or even jsut more games period.

I can't believe that Metal Gear Solid, Mario Kart, Resident Evil, Kid Icarus and Paper Mario aren't going to launch titles anywhere. I know they're still being developed, but it's going to be slim pickings for the first several months.

Maybe I'll just wait until Mario Kart, Zelda and Icarus come out, then pick one up. If that battery thing is fixed/ not true, of course.

Maybe by then, it will also come out in more colors?

Ridge Racer! It's Riiiiidge Racer!

Yeah, the Japanese launch titles kind of suck... I'm hoping that the North American launch titles are better. More games we want, or even jsut more games period.

I can't believe that Metal Gear Solid, Mario Kart, Resident Evil, Kid Icarus and Paper Mario aren't going to launch titles anywhere. I know they're still being developed, but it's going to be slim pickings for the first several months.

Maybe I'll just wait until Mario Kart, Zelda and Icarus come out, then pick one up. If that battery thing is fixed/ not true, of course.

Maybe by then, it will also come out in more colors?

I'll wait until they redesign it and fix issues, which will probably be next year..