OCR01284 - Soukaigi "Aftershock"

djpretzel

Z-man strikes again. I've enjoyed this as another favorite since I downloaded it from the WIP forum. I was always particularly fond of how he seemed to layer(?) the bass synth to get the different sounds at (seemingly) different velocities. Whatever it is you did, Z-man, it's great. The strings are as you put it once "la la awesome" towards the end. The high hat break starting around 3:07 is cool as hell.

This mix makes me picture something important... I'm not sure what... Just something powerful.

I'm sure it's no secret by now, and I find no shame in saying how much I look up to Ziwtra as a remixer. I'll admit I've taken bits and pieces of his style and tried to integrate them into my own (in a non rip-off sense I hope) for the fact that there is so much excellence going on in his work.

There always seems to be an abundance of raw emotion spoken through the melodies and movements in most of his arrangements, and it is no different this time.

i didn't get to vote on this one but i think this is a very solid work - BAM!

i was blown away by the groove and the mood of this track. the leads are soft and subdued but come in an out of the mix smoothly and soothingly. this is such chillin music even when it picks up it is hardly abrasive

excellent work on this one. definetly check it out.

Woah - ziwtra is other people's favorite mixer too? Wait, I think we went over this.

Anyway, I enjoy the texture of this alot. The drum track is totally awesome as usual, but the whole vibe here is unusually slick. I love the bells, I love the pads, I love the meandering latent leads - I'm slightly unenthusiastic about the section at 2:09 though - great synths and vibe during that section, but the melody just kind of struck me as odd for some reason.

Anyway, awesome.

although i never played the game...i do have the soundtrack. and it's a soundtrack that every gamer should listen to. it's one of those rare ost gems like radiant silvergun.

i like how you made 'silence' sound happier than it normally is with the faster, upbeat tempo. you did the same w/ desert snowstorm, and i've equally enjoyed both. =) nice work here ziwtra.

Like someone said earlier, I have never heard a Ziwtra song I did not fall in love with. There is so much texture, wonder, and beauty to be found in his works. Like djp said, plenty of small things to latch onto and reexperience the song fresh each time. Wonderful drumwork as usual, mindbending synths, and all coming together to paint a fantastic soundscape radiating with life.

Magnificent, my friend.

Hey Zwitra, this is fantastic! Did you ever release this somewhere before? I know I've heard it before, and there aren't too many Soukaigi remixes around.

This is one of my favorite obscure games. This piece, the second stage in Takachiho (2nd stage; track 5), the jazzy piano music in Okinoshima (3rd stage)... the whole soundtrack is excellent except for that abomination that plays in the first stage! ^^; (I once had the chance to ask Mr. Kikuta what language that song was in person; it's Malay.)

Also always liked the music at the little shrine in Nara. #9 on the CD. Under-rated greatness; tried ot remix this myself and couldn't. Somebody remix those!

This is inspring me to get back to work on my Soukaigi FAQ/Walkthrough. Gotta play this game again!

DB

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I figured I liked this song so much that I should write a review for it. Just to let you know, I've never even played the game that this came from so I've never even heard the source material before (for some reason I doubt many of us have)... And this happens to be one of my favorite songs on this site. I love it how your remixes always flow very well and never come off as repetitive. Nothing sounds out of place. This remix is a true representation of Ziwtra's remixing skills. Phenomenal work!

It's an amazing work when so many sounds follow in harmonic ways, I know how it is difficult, so I really appreciate these things.

My kudos to the drumline too, sometimes it seems faster than the rest, like it is running away and the synths and the bass are left behind, but they doesn't. Maybe because we can picture a very slow drumline onto it, however it's already good enough.

It's a great unorthodox work, I love this kind of track.

• 5 months later...

Okay... everyone needs to listen to this... NOW! I've never played the game or heard the song but this remix still exudes quality. I love the smooth instruments of this mix; quite similar to the Gifts From Mana mix. Well, I really don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to remixing so I don't know how to describe it, but I can't recommend it enough!

• 1 year later...

Wow, def one of those gems I'm glad I found. This is a rare combination of soothing intruments, calm driving beats, and excellent synth design and execution.

This is some hot stuff, it's not only enjoyable and fun to listen to it is also relaxing. Ziwtra did a wicked nice job of building the proper momentum and variation in and throughout the sections. Awesome stuff, this even sounds high quality on crappy headphones.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01284 - Soukaigi "Aftershock"