Astroman for 360

some1namedjeff

I designed, composed and produced all the audio for an Xbox 360 indie title called Astroman! It's pimp, like when Monobrow raps. The game itself is kind of like a cute old-school Metroid.

You should check out the

, and then download the demo.

Edit: Soundtrack released. Check it out!

Edited by some1namedjeff

Saw you mention it on IRC a few days ago, or maybe it was Twitter? Bought it, actually played a few levels, which is saying something given my schedule right now, and was digging the tunage. I had an issue where when I used the analog stick I would move forward uncontrollably at times, like a Toyota, but I switched to d-pad and all was good.

Why don't you get all narcissistic up in this bitch and ReMix one of your own tracks, and submit it? :nicework: Good work, either way...

• 2 weeks later...

This is really cool. Good job man, you got your music in an Indie game on XBLA (Although, did I spy that you did music for Monkey Island?)

If you don't mind me asking, I'm sure I'm not the only one here who wants to write music as a paying hobby / career. I have already started writing soundtracks for a few mods of commander Keen (Talk about small time!) just to get my name out there, but do you think you could walk us through the process of working on an indie game, or how to get involved on a project that would be released on a mass market scale(Such as XBLA or Steam)?

Did you personally know the people who made the game, or did you meet online? You know, that sort of thing.

Many thanks in advance, dude ;)

Thanks guys. :)

From what I've heard, they're going to take a look at the sales records after a month and send it to Valve to see if they're interested in distributing it on Steam.

Overflow:

The reason I got this gig was because I had a friend who recommended me for the gig. I have met the guy who did the art, since his girlfriend went to college with me, but we never really associated much with each other. I still haven't even talked to the programmer guy.

I did work on Monkey Island 2: Special Edition (with Zircon), that was a fun gig. I probably wouldn't have gotten that had I not known Wil Roget for a million years, and the gig also being a good fit for my skill set.

I'm sure that indie gamers have forums and blogs that they write on. The hard part is that you usually have to get involved with those communities (that don't usually involve music) before people will take more interest in what you have to offer. This industry has a lot of people who are good at what they do, so it's actually more important to be a good person. Because if you're awesome at what you do, but not easy to work with, nobody will want to hire you. If people think you're cool, they'll also introduce you to other people.

So if you want to get gigs, do this:

1. Make a portfolio website.

2. Learn how to network properly, because it's a full time job.

3. Meet and make friends with people who make games on places like forums, real life, anywhere. Make sure not to just show them your music and say "hire me!"

4. Be patient. It can take years before people come back with gigs.

5. When you get contacted about a gig, make sure they're actually going to finish the game before agreeing to do music for them. This will save you time.

Hope this helps! Of course, there's no right or wrong way to get into this industry, you kinda just have to see what happens and go for it.

• 2 years later...