Donkey Kong Country - Depth Of The Deep (tentative title)

Nintendude794

my initial thought is that there needs to be an increase in the overall volume of the project.

the arrangement is fantastic, you've got your own spin on the melody in there as well as enough of the original to pass by here...

the delay usage seems weird to me. i feel this way because if it's a "live" solo piano mix there isn't going to be that kind of delay. i know there was some used in the original song, but it just feels weird to have that many echoes when it's supposed to be a live track. maybe take it down to just one or two softer echoes. i can see one or two being actually playable in there.

i'm not sure how i like the unresolved ending.

also because this song doesn't go very much into the low end of things, maybe bring this out to have a stronger effect (especially at the end).

these are pretty nitpicky comments to be honest, the main thing you need to address is volume.

my initial thought is that there needs to be an increase in the overall volume of the project.

the arrangement is fantastic, you've got your own spin on the melody in there as well as enough of the original to pass by here...

the delay usage seems weird to me. i feel this way because if it's a "live" solo piano mix there isn't going to be that kind of delay. i know there was some used in the original song, but it just feels weird to have that many echoes when it's supposed to be a live track. maybe take it down to just one or two softer echoes. i can see one or two being actually playable in there.

i'm not sure how i like the unresolved ending.

also because this song doesn't go very much into the low end of things, maybe bring this out to have a stronger effect (especially at the end).

these are pretty nitpicky comments to be honest, the main thing you need to address is volume.

I agree with the prospect of increasing the overall volume; because as it is, compared to other Aquatic mixes in my library, I have to turn the volume up a bit to hear all of this one. I'll look into that.

Thanks!

I like the echo. Maybe I'll adjust it, dial it down a bit and see what that does.

Yeah, the ending was kinda impromptu because I realized I's draggin' on; but at least it's Final Fantasy's Prelude! :D

Yeah, I oughtta do deep octaves under those final phrases to really add an extra kick to it all.

Thanks for yer feedback. :)

Wow........

A perfect mix of new style of piano and classical piano, very lots and the quantizing is light which makes makes it seemed humanized :).

I also hear the aolian and mixolydian Modes (scales if you will) alot in this peice, lots of attack control in the arrangement as well, but use a compressor and increase the output a bit

you are now the 6th person on the fourms to get my DAMN out of 10 rating ;)

I think I just creamed my pants. This is a beautiful piece of music you have put together here.

And if it only took you three hours to do this, then you have my undying loathing. Just kidding. But seriously, that's some wicked talent.

I really have nothing to offer in constructive critique. The original melody is preserved quite well, but you add some very colorful and tasteful variation that just draws us listeners in even more than the source track. This is beauty if I've ever heard it.

I better hear more songs like this from you. No pressure of course.

I think this should be "finished", if not "mod review".

I think maybe someday I'll return to Aquatic Ambience; this was just an attempt to put down ideas I've had for weeks. I'm overwhelmed by y'all's tremendous compliments, thank you all! :)!!

I might submit it as it is, if not add a little soundscape at the front and/or back to make it less bland. Otherwise, I'd feel the need to redo it entirely. But having toyed with it so much over the past month or two and recording this over a few hours only to end up listening to it for a few hours... :roll:

I think I just creamed my pants. This is a beautiful piece of music you have put together here.

And if it only took you three hours to do this, then you have my undying loathing. Just kidding. But seriously, that's some wicked talent.

I really have nothing to offer in constructive critique. The original melody is preserved quite well, but you add some very colorful and tasteful variation that just draws us listeners in even more than the source track. This is beauty if I've ever heard it.

I better hear more songs like this from you. No pressure of course.

I think this should be "finished", if not "mod review".

Dang, wow. Thank you! :grin: You'll definitely be hearing more from me in the months to come, iAnticipate getting posted to OCR in 2011 8) ; just started on a Super Metroid orchestral suite sorta remix. PM me if ye'd like to hear what I've got of it after three hours of work ;) haha. :-)

I need a break. I've got a few ideas for a new project focus. I'd say I need to stop relying on the piano so much, I really need to learn DAWs and techno my stuffs up a bit. Sigh. :neutral:

Wow........

A perfect mix of new style of piano and classical piano, very lots and the quantizing is light which makes makes it seemed humanized :).

I also hear the aolian and mixolydian Modes (scales if you will) alot in this peice, lots of attack control in the arrangement as well, but use a compressor and increase the output a bit

you are now the 6th person on the fourms to get my DAMN out of 10 rating ;)

Apologies for not responding sooner.

Humanizing is making a digital instrument sound human, right? Well, if you must know, I performed it on my new Yamaha DGX640 into my three-year-old MacBook's GarageBand's Steinway Piano. ;)

Except, as much as I wish I had a third hand or perhaps any sort of piano lessons, the higher "twinkle"-esque line was added after recording the main two-hand part.

Impressive you know scale modes :D This doesn't seem the place to find people that know much theory, just 'cause theory's too oft overlooked.

What's a compressor?

Thanks fer the DAMN out of 10, hahahaha 8)

What an enviable performance. I felt very calmed after listening.

If ya really think so, how do I go about changing this mix's status?

Go to your original thread post and click edit. I think you have to use Advanced Edit to get to the dropbox before your thread's title. Just switch it from WIP to Mod Review and a workshop mod will eventually review it. It takes a while sometimes because they critique the mixes pretty thoroughly.

What an enviable performance. I felt very calmed after listening.

Go to your original thread post and click edit. I think you have to use Advanced Edit to get to the dropbox before your thread's title. Just switch it from WIP to Mod Review and a workshop mod will eventually review it. It takes a while sometimes because they critique the mixes pretty thoroughly.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Apologies for not responding sooner.

Humanizing is making a digital instrument sound human, right? Well, if you must know, I performed it on my new Yamaha DGX640 into my three-year-old MacBook's GarageBand's Steinway Piano. ;)

Except, as much as I wish I had a third hand or perhaps any sort of piano lessons, the higher "twinkle"-esque line was added after recording the main two-hand part.

Impressive you know scale modes :D This doesn't seem the place to find people that know much theory, just 'cause theory's too oft overlooked.

What's a compressor?

Thanks fer the DAMN out of 10, hahahaha 8)

you can say that , but i ment that you did no make it seem like you were a robot playing perfectly on tempo at all times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression

a compressor lower or raised an audio level,

. then you will adjust your gain to keep quality (restore) the sound when you adjust the threshold. same for hardware and software.

but dont make it too loud. sound quality will degrade if you do.

I'm going to agree with everyone else and say this is an amazing mix. Even without added sound effects, this sounds already polished enough to submit for review. I'm not always a fan of piano solos, but this one is truly done beautifully, and I kind of feel like you should keep it as purely a piano solo.