OCR01286 - Metroid Prime "Just a Little More (Prime Edit)"

djpretzel

Normally I don't write reviews for remixes (In fact, this is my first one), because my understanding of how the remixes are made is, well, non-existant. However, after seeing this and listening to it, I couldn't help but read what others wrote about it, and decided to write up my own.

There are two main aspects of this remix that, to me, make it really stand out. The first is the seamless fusion between the Phendrana Drifts theme and the Chozo Ruins theme. Although I've never noticed how well the two songs can fuse into each other, this remix has pointed it out to me. As well, it takes a theme that is already somewhat light to begin with (Phendrana Drifts), and gives it a deeper underlining than the original track did. All of the aspects can be heard with relative ease.

The second thing that stands out is the build up to the main music that never really existed to me in the original Phendrana Drifts theme. The opening that starts at about 0:25 helped me get more into the music, to the point where I was actually bobbing my head a little, which is quite rare for me.

One thing, however, bothered me. The first 23 seconds of the remix sound as though they would be better fitted on the end rather than the faded ending used, because the start of it plays and then quickly grows to be silent at 0:23.

- Skye

"Phendrana Drifts" The original track kept that level of ambience within the ice caverns.

Plus it changed whenever you delved deeper. It was so different from the rest of the game, it really kept itself apart from the rest of the soundtrack.

This remix does the same, but even better. It makes the song even more level, in a different way. Its like hearing it from a different perspective, as if from the various critters you come across.

Nicely done job DarkESword. 8)

Finally, a Metroid Prime remix.

i just got the soundtrack off a friend a while ago and even when i was playing through, i KNEW phendrana just needed to be mixed. it seemed so likely.

and then i heard this.

awesome stuff. indeed, the bassline is awesome. the transition between areas isn't truly too noticable, definitely a good sign of flawless transitioning.

Hopefully there will be A Little Bit More remixed off of Prime's tracks.

*4 pesos*

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This was my second song I downloaded from the OCR site, after getting over the initial shock of even finding a music site with this kind of music and content took my breath away. I couldn't even to begin to recover when I started hearing the remixes I downloaded (comparing to stumbling onto a gold mine!) On top of the remixes I snagged, I also went to indiviual artists website and got some originals from them as well.

Anyhoo, Playing Metroid: Prime, I instantly fell in love with the Phendrana background music. That piece has been my #1 favorite in the entire game. DarkeSword, you did a fantastic job of remixing the Phendrana music. It really sounds like this piece orignated from a video game OST. Even after hearing the song, I have it continously plaing over and over in my head for a good 2-3 hours.

Thanx again for the great song! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Woot! A Metroid Prime mix, and a spectacular one at that! Great job DrakeSword, it really adds a lot to the original while keeping the same "mood" if you will. Actually, it's the sort of relaxing techno I like to have in the back while writing or something, so I don't think it'll leave my playlist any time soon.

Ah, I loved that area from Prime. The snow was like, totally awsome, and this remix got a smile on my face right from the start with that little piano note section in the begining.

I'm starting to rant now, so I better stop before I take up half the board. :wink: Keep it up, I always like your mixes. :D

• 3 weeks later...

The composition is excellent, yes, and the Chozo Ruins coming in the middle is pretty awesome, and fine, the bass line really does something for the track ... yet, as a whole, it just sent me digging into my MP3 collection for the OST version. I don't know exactly what it was, but my best guess is

a) it doesn't feel cohesive. The best bits are sampled almost wholesale from the OST tracks. The bits in between don't feel right.

B) little 'bounty hunter badassness' is left. Its just a little too bouncy/happy and not enough 'fully charged plasma beam.' See comments below.

I am a great fan of Phendrana Drifts' music, and I have always compared it to the Dam music from Goldeneye 64 in that the character's onscreen gun wobble when running matches the beat of the song perfectly. The Dam/Phendrana music was so hot I would always go back to that stage many times to wipe out the helpless enemies with maximum firepower, just to hear the music. That gun wobble/bassline connection obliterated, I just don't feel it for this track.

How else am I supposed to look like a moron walking around my house pumping Phendrana music through my MP3 player and doing the gun wobble if its not there anymore?! :oops:

The composition is excellent, yes, and the Chozo Ruins coming in the middle is pretty awesome, and fine, the bass line really does something for the track ... yet, as a whole, it just sent me digging into my MP3 collection for the OST version. I don't know exactly what it was, but my best guess is

a) it doesn't feel cohesive. The best bits are sampled almost wholesale from the OST tracks. The bits in between don't feel right.

B) little 'bounty hunter badassness' is left. Its just a little too bouncy/happy and not enough 'fully charged plasma beam.' See comments below.

I am a great fan of Phendrana Drifts' music, and I have always compared it to the Dam music from Goldeneye 64 in that the character's onscreen gun wobble when running matches the beat of the song perfectly. The Dam/Phendrana music was so hot I would always go back to that stage many times to wipe out the helpless enemies with maximum firepower, just to hear the music. That gun wobble/bassline connection obliterated, I just don't feel it for this track.

How else am I supposed to look like a moron walking around my house pumping Phendrana music through my MP3 player and doing the gun wobble if its not there anymore?! :oops:

HEY GUY GUESS WHAT ITS CALLED A REMIX

:roll:

The first time I heard this, I wasn't very impressed but after I heard the original again, I realized that DS did an amazing job emphasizing it!

With a catchy bassline and soothing ambience, it can't get any more relaxing, actually -- it would have been great if Shariq could fit the Underwater Frigate Reactor Core theme into this, that would make it all the more beautiful but this is an excellent piece with or without the Frigate theme.

Huge thanks for this one DarkeSword!

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I first listened to this thinking the original could never be done justice except with an arrangement that basically made it another song altogether, like something done by djp (:)) so I didn't like it then when it went against that. But when I listened the second and third time, I listened to it based on the fact that it pretty much was very much like the original, while still adding lots of good elements (DarkeSword Elements). Basically a huge reworking of the P.Drifts theme from the game, and it sounds good, because the feeling brought from the original is great (as those who played the game should know what to expect). Download if you like the original a little or a lot. Or just download it if you like good wintery smooth music with appropriate ambient percussion, but definitely not too ambient.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01286 - Metroid Prime "Just a Little More (Prime Edit)"