Shining Force 2 Arranged Music

Hidan

I want to take some of Shining Force 2 music and arrange it. I arranged so far the "Lively Town" track and tomorrow I'll try make one of the battle themes.

Download: http://www.4shared.com/account/audio/4Xj_qCt9/Lively_Town_Arranged_by_Hidan_.html

I want really to improve. My friend Rozovian told me that I have some issues with chords and told me to read about it to keep improving. But I want your opnion too so I can improve even more. =)

weeeeird sound. if you did this by ear that's cool, but if you did it with a Midi file then I would recommend being a little more original/different.

I like the chords and the cheesy bass, but this would be infinitely better if you could utilize a

groovier beat. The part at 0:22 was cool, but the rest of the song had a mechanical beat.

weeeeird sound. if you did this by ear that's cool, but if you did it with a Midi file then I would recommend being a little more original/different.

I like the chords and the cheesy bass, but this would be infinitely better if you could utilize a

groovier beat. The part at 0:22 was cool, but the rest of the song had a mechanical beat.

I used a Midi file, but I composited the drum and bass sections myself. And what's a groovier beat that you're talking about?

It sounds really timid and distant. Might be too much reverb. It's also really close to the original because you relied on the MIDI pretty heavily. Try just taking the melody out of the MIDI and messing around with different instruments, speeds, keys.. and you'll likely pick up on a different sort of sound you'll want to expand on. At the very least, I'd try to avoid the mechanical nature of the tune because I can imagine that melody being much more expressive.

On the plus side, I think you did a nice job beautifying the second part of the melody. Also, that vocal sample you picked out reminded me hardcore of Disgaea's soundtrack, which is a good thing. I can't remember the names, but it reminds me a lot of it. It's not that I disliked your choice of samples or arranging but I'm under the assumption you want to at some point submit to OCR. My impression of OCR is that they'd want more re-interpretation.

If the production were cleaned up, I'd definitely enjoy listening to it just as a tune on its own though :)

I used a Midi file, but I composited the drum and bass sections myself. And what's a groovier beat that you're talking about?

well, I don't want to turn this into a Theory or Music Appreciation rant, but the drum part just sounded really bland (except at around 0:22 which I kudos'd). With the links I was implying some examples of "groovy" drum patterns, but it's really up to you to make up something cool or find a drum sample.

The point is that the drum beat is the primary turn off (imo) in the entire piece. just add more variations (not all at once. I liked the shaker, but the drums should have evolved somehow. maybe a few congo stuff later on in the song or a different kick/snare pattern).