OCR01287 - Fire Emblem "Etude for Piano in F# minor"

djpretzel

Wow, I've never been a big Fire Emblem fan, but this makes me almost want to search high and low for any remnant of the game, be that cartrige or rom :wink: I've always been a fan of clasical piano remixes, like The Trial In Concert and this is no execption. I'm adding it to my playlist as I listen for a 3rd time, and wow.... this is a good remix

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. Just listening to it just makes me want to play the game. Do you think you can do more FireEmblem (the fight song 'from SSBM' would be kickass). If you want I can get ya some audio bits of their speech.

This Remix is a great start for FireEmblem Remixes, and I do hope that there are more to come soon.

Ah, when I saw this piece on this site, I immideately recognized the artist and the song title, and remembered how great of a piece this was. I found this piece initally on a different site (http://www.vgmix.com/song_view.php?song_id=819). I read the review of this version on OCRemix, and I noticed that trickwaters was in on it, and that it was a bit larger than the other one I had. Same exact piece, only on this one there are many more dynamic and tempo changes, along with the reverb. Very cool. It does sound like it's played in a church. The OCRmix version sounds more real. Anyway, very good job on both versions, Kevin Stephens, and way to go, trickwaters, with the reverb and other editing. You two should get together again and remix more Fire Emblem stuff.

I'm not familiar with the source material here... the only Fire Emblem music I'm familiar with I heard from Super Smash Bros. Melee, although I do appreciate said music.

I appreciate this even more. Someone mentioned earlier that it's hard not to compare each piano mix submitted to Time's New Scar, which is unfortunate, because it truely is hard to live up to that particular peice of work. So aside from this paragraph, I'm not going to make that comparison and simply say that it's not that Etude in F# lacks anything, but rather that Time's New Scar has something extra that is unfortunately elusive elsewhere.

This lovely piece definitely has a "recorded live in a cathedral" sound to it. That echoing quality colors the whole peice. Perhaps the sustain pedal, as mentioned earlier, could have been used a little less in order to sharpen the image of this song a little more. But whether due to the pedal or the location this was played, the echo makes listening to this peice feel like... like work. It's tiring. And perhaps that's a good thing.

Think about the mood this inspires. On the one hand, we have a gentle and beautful melody, somewhat meloncholic. On the other hand we have this blur to the sound, in which notes long past still have their influence on what is being heard now... that feeling of being constantly chased through back allyways, running for safety. A lonely, sad song, that without increasing the tempo or softness or tenderness of the music, inspires a sense of urgancy and tension.

Not what you normally expect, and the result is unique I think. I don't know if this is the result the mixer was looking for, but intent isn't important, it's the result I'm interested in. This isn't something I'd want to be listening to every day, but for certain moods, certain feelings, I don't think any other song I know of can compare to this. It brings about something new... and for that, I commend you.

Well done.

Well, im not sure why some people are classifying this as classical piano, because its true genre is leaning towards new age piano.

As for enhancing the original, I am not familiar with the source so I really can't evaluate that aspect. Dynamics are wonderful since there is a definite distinction and contrast between softs and louds, as well as special attention to the builds/climaxes. There is a lot of emotion put into the voicing but there are times where it becomes pretty muddled, due to extensive sustain and voicing of less important notes being played too loud. Overall though, the voicing is fairly good. The melody is usually heard fine.

The song as a whole is very repetetive, since the melody is repeated many times as well as following the same or similar chord progression. This is typical of new age music, but I think that much more variety in the melodic and chordal arrangement would have made this more enjoyable and just a better piece (for me atleast :wink: ). The main melody is annoying after hearing it for 2 minutes.

The little switch at 2:21 is rather strange as there is no transition into it. I like the content here though, it seems to be more different than the rest of the piece. One more little odity: at the end at about 3:38 there might be some overtones of the harmony...not exactly sure but something sounds weird here.

Overall, a fairly enjoyable piano remix that could just use more variation.

~Blue

can you say sustain pedal? I can.

Sustain pedal. YAY ME!

Nice work btw, I agree that someone's foot got stuck on the floor during some parts of this, but the piece is interesting to listen to and keeps your attention throughout. Wild arpeggios (although something I would like to have to play) also keep this grandioso near the end.

Well, im not sure why some people are classifying this as classical piano, because its true genre is leaning towards new age piano.

Don't know much about New Age, but as I said, this is the format for a "Variations" peice, except with some modern notions and styles. I have heard New Age music described as "music without climax" so I can see where you might get that here... though, again, I'm not really all that familiar with New Age.

But of course, as the saying goes... nothing new under the sun. New Age, like everything else, borrows from old age.

An AMAZING piece, but one thing really bothers me. At 2:20 the slow fade out suddenly cuts off--it sounds completely unnatural and out of place. A longer fade, or simply no fade at all would have been a better transition, in my opinion.

And the reverb/sustain is nice...sounds real. So there.

• 4 weeks later...

A remix must be some effort if it makes me offer my first post in like 8 months.

Very thoughtful sequencing, and an equally interesting arrangement. does sound a bit more like 'new age' to me--not that's a bad thing at all. perhaps a 'classical' interpretation would have included more experimentation with dissonance, or maybe I'm just a sucker for dissonance.

In any case! When a remix makes me want to try my hand at arranging its original work, it's a reliable metric, in my mind, of a remix well done.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01287 - Fire Emblem "Etude for Piano in F# minor"