OCR02287 - *YES* Mario Golf 'Fore on the Floor'

OceansAndrew

Contact info:

ReMixer: DarkSim

Website (tindeck account): http://www.tindeck.com/users/DarkSim

User account: http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=33879

Submission info:

Game ReMixed: Mario Golf (Game Boy Color)

Original song arranged: Putts' Theme -

Composer: Motoi Sakuraba

Comments:

Ah, Mario Golf. Only Nintendo could try and fuse this sedentary sport with an RPG, complete with a world map, levelling up, and a host of secrets and strange characters. I remember one of them holding my wood in his hands and telling me "Golf's fire is in your eyes!" after I found a secret club-maker's hut in the forest. Bizarre stuff, but nonetheless a fantastic game. The soundtrack was surprisingly rich too, and well worth a listen. This catchy number kept bouncing around my brain every now and again, years after I last played it, so I felt I had to do it justice by remixing it. I think the catchiness of the bassline and melody lend themselves well to this upbeat dancey style, but it's also ripe for a blues remix and pretty fun to jam to.

A word on the title - I'd originally gone for "Clubhouse Electro", but was toying with changing it to "Fore on the Floor" until Emunator pushed me over the edge. Definitely the right decision. Thanks go to phantasia, for once again providing excellent, constructive feedback, and my brother for helping me figure out the source material.

Until next time,

DarkSim

• 4 weeks later...

Not a super ton going on besides the genre conversion after a few listens, but what is done is pretty classy, and there are a lot of nice details that are subtle but effective. I love the sidechained swooshes and the strong use of panning throughout. Production felt very cohesive, and the synths chosen were complimentary.

The arrangement is actually more expansive that I initially thought, with soem melodic alterations, stutters and shifts, and a lot of other subtle ideas. The breakdown is pretty good, with a very solid texture and strong transitions to the adjoining sections. It doesn't go completely crazy with the source, but I do think it goes far enough, and is a pretty enjoyable dance track.

Yes

One wouldn't think of a strange game like Mario Golf having a good soundtrack, but it proves to show that you can find awesome music in the weirdest of places. As Andrew says, the expansion here is subtle, but nicely done. Everything feels naturally done, and the energy throughout is pretty good.

The use of the panning works really well here, and all the different details and effects you added add a lot of shimmer to the piece overall.

I dig.

YES

• 1 month later...

Really, could there be any other title for this mix?

I thought the arrangement was simple but pretty effective. Some clever takes on the melodies of the original, and a very smooth beat. I did think the leads could have been better mixed in. They seemed a little far-forward and though the sidechaining helped keep them from swallowing the beat, they were still too loud and could have sat better. I'd say it's acceptable, but something to keep in mind next go round.

YES

• 1 month later...

Nice sidechaining. I think I'd of preferred a shorter, punchier kick, and the drums in general seemed to take a backseat to the synth work, but production was generally pretty good. a little muffled in the low frequencies perhaps, and just slightly overcompressed during the climax in the last 1/4th of the song. nonetheless, great use of stereo effects and panning, you got a really full sounding mix here. The arrangement is fairly straightforward, keeping the melodies mostly in tact, but the added arpeggios, rhythmic shifts and harmonies keep it fresh. I think a little polish could do this song well but it is still above the bar as is. nice work. :nicework:

YES

• 3 weeks later...