OCR02154 - Cave Story "The Angels of Hell"

djpretzel

I was hoping you'd submit a 2010 mix! And I believe this is the first Cave Story mix here? I'm listening to it in a second tab right now, and what I've heard so far has not disappointed me :)

Well, not quite. More Cave Story isn't a bad thing, though, and it's always nice to hear the things people posted in the WIP forums going up to the front page. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :mrgreen:.

I liked the blend of multiple Cave Story themes in this track, though (especially the haunting Cave Story theme sprinkled throughout). I feel the instruments could've been a bit more natural sounding; the strings and some of the winds seems to have too much delay on the attack too often, for my tastes. Ah well, it doesn't take away from the overall orchestral sound too much.

I'm liking what you've got going here. Great way to end the year, for sure :-D.

The more orchestral music I write and arrange, the more I appreciate the work and creativity that goes into mixes like this. RH deserves massive props for a well-executed, well-orchestrated and dynamic arrangement. The exposed solo strings were the weakest elements, but I know those are really hard to deal with since there are basically no good solo string sample libraries around. Overall, great movement and energy, which is an accomplishment given the length.

On a side note, I had no idea Random Hero was JMR's brother. That's awesome. :<

I feel like I post this type of comment into everything lately but regardless:

Great to see this out of the WIP stage! Although I do miss that (admittedly silly) ending of dying and trying again... but I suppose that for the sake of the seriousness of the mix it had to go.

I must admit don't download many full-on orchestral remixes from this site, but I have to say this is incredibly awesome and so worth it. Loved this theme, and this interpretation suits it very well. It barely even feels like its six minutes, in the best way possible. Good work guy!

Grand and epic, man. I love the contrast between the opening majestic-like theme and going (literally) into the dark, tense Hell and then back to grander things. This orchestration does not stop short and yet it still doesn't sound like 6:00, which shows great spacing and keeps the listeners drawn in. Wonderful arrangement, the instruments sound tip top and a damn good way to go out in 2010! Highly recommended.

Ooh, another cave story mix!

Very neat arrangement ideas for this one. This could adapt to a live symphony quite beautifully! The production could've used a little bit of touch-up, though. The samples were nice for the most part(with the exception of some string sections), but personally I think you could've spent a little more time doing audio mastering/adjusting EQ/etc. It just needs more punch!

Overall though, I enjoyed it, and it's a worthy take on Cave Story's music! The arrangement is what matters more here, and it's fantastic. Keep it up! :D

Thanx Guys.

This was definitely a fun song to work on and I still catch myself listening, and analysing it from time to time. I'm very proud of it, flaws and all. I wonder if anyone picked up on my little homage to the theme song from Fringe at about 3:10? ;)

I am also very glad that I didn't miss 2010 with a mixpost! lol

I know a few people have said I should do more, and I do actually produce more then one mix a year. But I don't submit the 'not so good' stuff and there is a bit of that. I should start work on 2011 mix now and maybe get 2 in this year! haha

And for all those that loved it, here is the alternate ending to the song, which was just cut off the end of version posted here. It features music from the original WII version of Cave Store, not the updated one! ENJOY

Click here to listen to The Angels of Hell alt ending.mp3

Oh man that alternate ending was great, considering how many deaths and how much time one typically spends in Hell, there really couldn't be a better way to end it!

I really enjoyed the mix itself as well, Cave Story is a game I only discovered last year but I instantly fell in love with it and it's old school music. Hearing the Hell theme on a more grand scale was a lot of fun, the mix takes a bit of time to get going but the theme was plain as day once it started, providing instant visions of that second part in hell where you are constantly barraged by angels. Orchestral mixes can be pretty hit or miss sometimes, this one I definitely feel preserved the feel of the original though.

Great stuff, hopefully all this positive feedback means we'll get more than 1 mix this year :lol: .

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

I've been always facinated by this game, just because it was totally made by one person! So, that means that all the OST is his creation as well. And this is eciting fact too, isn't it? I remember my initial reaction when I first got to this so-called "Hell" - I just did nothing, except for listening to the music that was playing. It just struck me. And RH's orchestration makes it literally shine! It's atmosphere is a great combination of somewhat adventureous, epic, dramatic, and even evil! Like Kefka's theme or something alike :P Great track!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02154 - Cave Story "The Angels of Hell"