Appreciation of VG Music 4: Scary Themes

Capa Langley

Theme #4: Scary Theme

What is needed:

• Link a stream or youtube video of your favorite original track that must correspond with the current theme. Not limited to just one.
  • Explain why you like the specific track. Don't just say you like it.
  • Some favorites will often be shared between more than one persons. This means someone else will likely post a track which you like. So instead post your 2nd favorite or so forth. No duplicates. The idea here is to spread as much different tracks as possible.
  • Or, you can post a track you've never really listened to before and write why it should be enjoyed.
  • Participation is key.

Previous sessions:

1. Battle Music

2. Game Boy

3. Vocals

I don't see there being a limit to how many one posts so long as they are not duplicates in the same post so...

Another note* I never realized how many won't play horror titles because they either dislike it, got overly imaginative minds, or are merely bothered by such a genre in the first place.

1292270802973.jpg

from "
on the PS2. Despite the dangers of tight corridors, I'd take them over the outside with shit cover and sight. The game uses the soundtrack with great effect to the atmosphere and tone of said game. It has this brooding, seemingly 80's tension, the horror of the unknown that is often lost on regular slasher or homicidal genius movies.

from
on the Playstation 2. It's not so much the track it self but wondering how children could have at one point slept, play, grew up in a room that had seen plenty of death and decay with little signs of "children" still lingering around despite it.

I'll Kill You from

on the Playstation One. When the volume is set loudly, to have it build gradually as you're running away from monstrosities while having little to no ammo due to high difficulty, it can break one's own courage; especially for a young gamer. Didn't help said gamer may have already developed theories such as simply existing in some surreal, nightmarish world that is forever Harry's home after his "death" the first time around. Even worse when you reach the sewers and can't see your hidden assailants on the ceiling reaching for your flesh.

from
on the Gamecube. There's always something about facing a menacing boss that is incapable of dying by normal means of killing what had been human. Wasting precious ammo only serve to heighten the terror of having to deal with it; especially when all you can do is run and hope it can't or won't follow you to the next room as most creatures can...

from
on the Gamecube. The track made it seem the whole place was breathing or alive. The god damn leech men that you can run into through out the game if you're not careful; even worse when you're not ready to fight or run away from them. I'd say they're worse than the leech men you'd find in Resident Evil 3 as you see them more often in 0 than 3.

from F.E.A.R. on the PC. It plays on the main menu as well as certain parts of the game. It just puts me off edge no matter where I go whenever it plays.

from
on the PC. Similar in building up the terror to Silent Hill's "I'll Kill You", it plays a few times during regular game play and special moments where sheer terror is enabled through the player's actions. With no way to fight back and nothing but your own wits as well as a lantern, it can be an intense experience.

sample0d606c30c4d244087.jpg

Such an easy reference

I'll probably post more later if they are not mentioned here.

Another note* I never realized how many won't play horror titles because they either dislike it, got overly imaginative minds, or are merely bothered by such a genre in the first place.

These kind of people sort of bother me. I have a friend that refuses to watch "scary movies" purely because he thinks they're "dumb". I mean, do what you want but it's fun to explore the dark and deadly realms of reality/fantasy once in a while.

Anyway, I like these themes because they made brushes with the dangerous denizens of some of my favorite horror games/game scenes more memorable.

Leechman 1 from Resident Evil 0 - If you've played RE0 you know to dread this song. The mysterious leech man enemy had a habit of showing up at the most inopportune times.

from Conker's Bad Fur Day. Good old fashioned unsettling music for the aptly-named 'Spooky' section of this N64 masterpiece, in which you deal with zombies in and around a vampire's castle.

from Silent Hill 3. I distinctly remember making note of this music when I fought the Leonard monster in the sewer. There's something very unsettling about something dangerous swimming barely visible beneath sewer water and this theme managed to make it even more unsettling.

from Splatterhouse 2- It's one of those songs that has such a campy vibe (fitting given the series), but it also carries with it a catchy beat. It's simple in terms of composition, but it's instruments carry it well.

Loony Park (Ambient) from Painkiller: Battle Out of Hell- It's a haunted amusement park with demonic clowns, and this song fits it like a glove. It's a step away from being cheerful, but it captures the dementedness of a bloody park filled with horrific rides and evil looking clowns.

from Killer Instinct- Do I really need to explain why with this song? You're a werewolf, pipe organs and orchestra... just listen to the thing.

from Devilish- This song has a distinct "The Exorcist"/"Halloween" vibe to it. Good instruments that add to its ominous feel, some rather thunderous FM drums... it's a fine fit for the concept, and it's a more obscure game to boot.

from Psychonauts. The theme itself isn't that terrifying, unless the idea of circuses themselves freak you out, which they do me... but this level combined a circus with a butcher shop in some hellish nightmare in which adorable bunnies get ground up into meat monsters.

from DKC2. It's freaky and haunting while still being fast-paced and energetic. Gets your heart pumping for an exciting level, the only one of its kind in the game. Indeed the track is only used once, making it stand out all the more.

from Super Mario World. This was my first game ever, when I was 3, so its music is wound into the very fabric of my being. And I'm pretty sure I still hear this song in my nightmares. Of course, I love the haunted house theme too, but this one is even creepier, with its background arpeggiation, threatening chords, and sudden powerful hits. Truly a classic.

But what takes the cake...

from Donkey Kong 64. As a trembling little eight-year-old girl, I would NOT play this level unless my parents were around. The endless dingy corridors and the possessed red-eyed Kremling robots that ran after you and then, just when it seemed they were about to seize you, would suddenly freeze in their tracks and have to rewind themselves, terrified me. But what really set the atmosphere was the creepy music. Listening to it today still makes me tense up, which is kind of silly, but this level will always retain somewhat of the nature of Hell that it had for me when I was younger, a place where toys try to kill you and childhood fun goes to die.

Final Fantasy 7 - The North Cave World Map Theme 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJCMpzJo-TI

I think it's the whole eery vibe you get from when the song starts. Simple, moody, dormant.

When the piano kicks in after a minute or so it brings the song up a notch as if something evil really is brewing.

I'm not sure if it was the sound quality available in gaming at the time or not, but Sephiroths choir always sounded extra spooky because of the weird ambience it had to it's sound. As such, when that choir kicked in to this tune it really became a song i would remember for years to come just because of how much it spooked the crap outta me back then.

The Boogyman's Theme from King's Quest VII (PC)

No matter who played that game, whether it was me, my older sister, or my mother, whenever that music started playing I freaked out. I hated that bastard.

Hell, I got goosebumps listening to that song and remembering him rising from the ground, slowly approaching you before pouncing on you.

The Boogyman's Theme from King's Quest VII (PC)

No matter who played that game, whether it was me, my older sister, or my mother, whenever that music started playing I freaked out. I hated that bastard.

Hell, I got goosebumps listening to that song and remembering him rising from the ground, slowly approaching you before pouncing on you.

I wanted to post it too. F***ing Boogeyman.

Shalebridge Cradle theme from Thief: Deadly Shadows.

I can't really EXPLAIN how uncomprehendingly creepy that whole part of the game is to people who've never played the game. You're one man, lightly armed, entering a burned-out husk of what was once an insane asylum and orphanage at the same time. You spend much of it sneaking around and hiding, fearful of every single noise and scared out of your whits.

I mean, just LOOK at the place.

TDS16.jpg

I can't really EXPLAIN how uncomprehendingly creepy that whole part of the game is to people who've never played the game. You're one man, lightly armed, entering a burned-out husk of what was once an insane asylum and orphanage at the same time. You spend much of it sneaking around and hiding, fearful of every single noise and scared out of your whits.

It was voted on numerous gaming websites* as one of the scariest moments in video game history.

*Cannot recall which specific gaming website, but Google is your friend.

Portal - No Cake For You

Portal was a game that was both fun and intriguing. Fun because you get to mess with physics with a portal gun, and intriguing because you end up thinking "where is everyone? what happened to this place?". As you get deeper behind the scenes, you start to realize something seriously messed up happened. And the guy (known only as the Rat Man) leaves you hints and other helpful markers on your journey to GLaDOS' room. I got an eerie sense of "I'm the only person in this complex alive" while playing that game and listening to the music.

The

theme from Majora's Mask really scared me when I first played the game. It portrays such utter helplessness and loss... knowing everything you have been working to save will be totally crushed in just a few short minutes... if it weren't for the in-game reset button that is the Song of Time, anyway. The same can be said for Ruined World from Chrono Trigger (the actual piece starts around 0:44).

is another piece that scared me. This stems mostly from the unadulterated chaos of the piece, and all the things surrounding the piece. It's not so much music as it is just sound.

I don't know if it counts as music, but the hallucination scenes in the Chzo Mythos (Namely, Trilby's Notes) have portions where the background sounds are replaced with

• 1 year later...

This boss is only in BBSFM, and is the final challenge of the Secret Episode that takes place as Aqua in the Realm of Darkness. I get chills every time I listen to it.

Maybe it's because the first time I fought him, I was using a downloaded save and had no clue it was on Critical. Also he's invisible until you knock a third or so of his life off. It's scary.

This,this,this! I think I seriously put off playing the game for a month because of that place. God damn...

A really scary game that captures the Lovecraftian vibe perfectly. It gets a bit mental towards the end but hey, it's Lovecraft! One of the most underrated games I think. Totally went under the radar!