Movies are entertainment. Films are art. Masterpieces are both.

Nintendude794

I finished up my circuit of Tarantino films (minus Grindhouse, I'll get around to that eventually) finally. They're all great. Pulp Fiction is exactly the kind of movie I avoid for a long time because of its popularity as meme material. Of course, after I saw Inglourious Basterds I realized I needed to see the rest of his movies. I really liked them all. Even Jackie Brown, which is probably his least talked about movie.

On the topic of movies that are awesome and awesome movies to watch movies on the internet you watch them on Netflix instant streaming:

The Fountain (highly recommended)

Freejack (Saw this as a kid, i remember it was awesome)

Insomnia (represent)

Johnny Mnemonic (havent seen the whole thing yet but should be good)

Dracula: Dead and Loving It

Krull (but you've seen this already)

Death at a Funeral (the black people remake, not as good)

Wild Wild West (or day I say, wikki-wikki-wild)

The Outsiders (a classic)

HALO Legends (for you nerd types around here)

Poltergeist (just one iwanna see)

.......and moar!

And these are just some of the NEW ARRIVALS.

Peruse this list and lament, or dare I say, read it and weep.

The Fountain (highly recommended)

Insomnia (represent)

Johnny Mnemonic (havent seen the whole thing yet but should be good)

Krull (but you've seen this already)

Wild Wild West (or day I say, wikki-wikki-wild)

The Outsiders (a classic)

HALO Legends (for you nerd types around here)

Poltergeist (just one iwanna see)

.......and moar!

And these are just some of the NEW ARRIVALS.

Peruse this list and lament, or dare I say, read it and weep.

Heard of the fountain, checked out Insomnia first time recently (love it), heard of those next few, seen The Outsiders (classic indeed), not interested in Halo anime, and of course I really need to see Poltergeist.

That's great man, thanks for responding in such a timely and tactful manner.

Apologies if my "tactful manner" is to be seen as rude. :\ This week I've been waking up at 3 or 4 every morning and not managing to go back to sleep. So I figured I'd get back on the computer for an hour or two then return to bed. No luck, just 'bout time to go to school.

Just on a sidenote, every time I see Edward Norton, I think of Smoochy. :-(

Haha, I Wiki'd it; haven't seen Death To Smoochy. ;) Big fan of Norton's performances in Fight Club and The Italian Job though; only saw The Illusionist once, but it was also impressive. :)

Apologies if my "tactful manner" is to be seen as rude. :\ This week I've been waking up at 3 or 4 every morning and not managing to go back to sleep. So I figured I'd get back on the computer for an hour or two then return to bed. No luck, just 'bout time to go to school.

Haha, I Wiki'd it; haven't seen Death To Smoochy. ;) Big fan of Norton's performances in Fight Club and The Italian Job though; only saw The Illusionist once, but it was also impressive. :)

Nah I was being serious, it's good to see someone who can talk appropriately and be nice without insulting someone's taste in movies or whatnot. Stuff like that rarely happens 'round here.

Death to teh Smoochy is pretty ridiculous, I caught it also on Netflix instant stream. :-P I liked it

Nah I was being serious, it's good to see someone who can talk appropriately and be nice without insulting someone's taste in movies or whatnot. Stuff like that rarely happens 'round here.

Well, thankye. :)

Death to teh Smoochy is pretty ridiculous, I caught it also on Netflix instant stream. :-P I liked it

Haha, I'll look into checkin' it out. Lot on my plate.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorites by language....(but not in any order beyond that)

English (much less of an interest these days):

Alien

Phantasm II

Robocop

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1973 ver.)

Texas Chainsaw Massacre II (1986 ver.)

American Werewolf in London (early 80s ver.)

Logan's Run

Planet of the Apes (1960s ver.)

Amityville Horror 2

The Thing

Die Hard

The Dark Knight

Devil

Moon

Pandorum

District 9

Sunshine

28 Weeks Later

Dawn of the Dead (1978 ver.)

Blade Runner

A Scanner Darkly

The Shining (Kubrick ver.)

Korean (my main interest):

Attack the Gas Station

The Day a Pig Fell into the Well

Birdcage Inn

Bad Guy

Samaritan Girl

Beautiful

Black House

Paju

Mother

Breathless

Thirsty, Thirsty

A Good Lawyer's Wife

Marriage is a Crazy Thing

Plum Blossom

Plastic Tree

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

A Bittersweet Life

A Dirty Carnival

Tazza: The High Rollers

Green Fish

Secret Sunshine

Poetry

No Mercy for the Rude

A Bloody Aria

Barking Dogs Never Bite

S Diary

Rules of Dating

Untold Scandal

Living Death

Moss

Memories of Murder

Spanish:

Pan's Labyrinth

The Orphanage

Amores Perros

Y Tu Mama, Tambien

Vietnamese:

The Rebel

Cyclo

Russian:

Come and See

Solaris (1970s ver.)

Icelandic:

The Sea

101 Reykjavík

Thai:

6ixtynin9

Ong Bak: The Thai Warrior

Monrak Transistor

Tears of the Black Tiger

Citizen Dog

Chocolate

Chinese:

Kung Fu Hustle

Once Upon a Time in China

Blind Shaft

The Eye

and many Shaw Bros. films

Japanese:

Uzumaki

Had to throw my two cents in about the Inception plot holes, I did notice a few upon my second and third watchings: [sERIOUS SPOILERS]

1) I understand the gravity/momentum transference, but didn't the chemist specifically state that the kick still worked because inner ear function was not impaired by the sedative? By that logic, when the van flipped over and hit a pole, shouldn't everyone have been bumped back up to that level?

2) If gravity was required for the kick in the second level (since the van falling in the first level caused a loss of gravity), why didn't everyone wake up as soon as their bodies hit the floor when the elevator was blasted by the explosives? Why didn't they wake up until the elevator crashed?

3) The totems are presumably based on physics since Arthur explains that his loaded die has a specific weight that only he knows, so as to confirm his anchor to reality. So how exactly does Mol/Cobb's totem actually involve any physics if the only indication that he is in a dream is that it spins endlessly? And by telling Ariadne that it does this, hasn't he invalidated the security of that totem? Couldn't she purposely create a totem in her dream that would fall instead of spinning endlessly?

Just a few questions I had that never really get explained and seem pretty vital to the fidelity of the films universe.

Had to throw my two cents in about the Inception plot holes, I did notice a few upon my second and third watchings: [sERIOUS SPOILERS]

1) I understand the gravity/momentum transference, but didn't the chemist specifically state that the kick still worked because inner ear function was not impaired by the sedative? By that logic, when the van flipped over and hit a pole, shouldn't everyone have been bumped back up to that level?

2) If gravity was required for the kick in the second level (since the van falling in the first level caused a loss of gravity), why didn't everyone wake up as soon as their bodies hit the floor when the elevator was blasted by the explosives? Why didn't they wake up until the elevator crashed?

3) The totems are presumably based on physics since Arthur explains that his loaded die has a specific weight that only he knows, so as to confirm his anchor to reality. So how exactly does Mol/Cobb's totem actually involve any physics if the only indication that he is in a dream is that it spins endlessly? And by telling Ariadne that it does this, hasn't he invalidated the security of that totem? Couldn't she purposely create a totem in her dream that would fall instead of spinning endlessly?

Just a few questions I had that never really get explained and seem pretty vital to the fidelity of the films universe.

They didn't feel like they were falling because they were strapped in to their seatbelts tight as heck and always had that comfortable seat as a base. At any rate it wasn't a strong enough kick, they were sedated on the first dream AND the second dream, which they also would have had to be woken from first.

It was zero gravity, it wouldn't have started out moving that quickly until the elevator gained momentum from the blast. o_o The hit at the top, that also probably would have "killed" them, was a strong enough hit to wake them up or kill them or whatever.

Not sure what you mean here. Nobody touched Cobb's totem, so the weight, shape, and texture of it is only known to him. The fact that it spins is not necessarily the most important aspect of the totem. You don't see Cobb there telling Ariadne the exact weight of his totem in grams, or letting her touch it. Nobody touched it except him, the same with all of their totems. :-o

In hindsight, what doesn't make sense to me is why they all didn't just shoot the people in the heads when they were done instead of using a kick, since that basically works the same way, didn't it?

Okay, now that I see it that way, they make sense. Except the totems are still a bit of a stretch. It's very clear that he uses the spinning as a gauge of reality, not the weight or feel of it.

Also in response to your question Brandon:

Dying in the dream to wake up is an action that occurs in the dream, so if you're in a brain-dead state (like a heavily sedated sleep), you drop into Limbo. Your body has essentially dropped into a coma and when you die in a dream, your brain ceases to be in a dream-like state. But since your body is still comatose, you drop into Limbo.

But a kick is a force from outside the dream. It's a physical stimulus that forces the dreamer out of the dream.

It's all about the origin of the action. If it occurs in the dream it follows dream rules, if it's outside the dream, then it follows the outside rules.