Need help EQing kickdrum

Hey guys! Happy new year to everyone :smile:

Well, I really need help EQing the kickdrum so it sounds like this one:

I don't like that song/band, but I do like the kickdrum sound. I've watched several EQing tutorials on YouTube and have done some research, but I still can't get a sound like that on my kickdrum (I'm using Drumkit from Hell samples).

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance :smile:

Try using a hi-pass filter at around 80Hz, make a considerable dip in the mids around 800Hz, and boost the 3-4KHz area. Try picking a kick sample that doesn't have alot of bass. In music like this, the bass is mostly filled with bass and guitars so the kick has to be pretty clicky for it to be heard.

That's very similar to the EQ I was trying in the first place. It is close to the sound I want, but for some reason it keeps sounding...I don't know, kind of "too thin". Maybe I need a compressor or something else? I'm kind of a noob in this...

Oh, and of course, thanks for your reply :smile:

Make your sound punchier by putting a compressor on it. You'll notice it'll get a bit quieter when you do so, so if your compressor has a gain knob, just bump it back up to whatever it normally was.

I normally put a single multiband compressor on all of my drums at the same time so they all get treated the same and feel like a flowing, cohesive drum kit.

I've found that when things sound thin on their own, it sounds a lot better when you put it in the mix with everything else.

A thin sounding kick won't sound as thin when you have some bass in the background to fill up the soundscape.

This is especially true of the kick drum in metal. When you think "kick drum," you expect that it will be a big, boomy, loud thing, but in metal, the kick is mostly attack - the 'click.'

Something else that might help are transient shapers. That'll help you emphasize the attack how you want. Very overlooked in beginning mixing, but a very powerful tool, especially for drums.

If your sample sounds too thin, try putting a little saturation on it. FL Blood overdrive or some light natural distortion will make the frequencies sound way bigger. Then eq it after the saturation.

Any kind of monitoring tools you have would help also to see what frequencies the peaks are at (<3 FL Wave Candy). Making space for the kick is easier if you get rid of conflict with other instruments via light notch filtering.

Compression helps to change the shape of your kick and make it bigger, but only after there is room for it in the mix.