touhou 11 - orchestral Nuclear Fusion

redtails

This arrange has been sitting around since Summer 2010 and I never really finished it, despite Nuclear Fusion being one of my personal all-time favourite themes. I arrange in FL-studio due to simplicity (so many haters, though). I accept any and all criticism

Original theme:

The entire arrange is now posted here: Sorry, no longer have this on my soundcloud. Alternatively you can see this on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyQGdwRCG_Y .

It was also put into my touhou medley at the very ending: http://soundcloud.com/ravensjig/reiuyi-touhou-medley

General tips or advice are very much welcome!

Lead strings need to sound way more human than this, the rest isn't as important to humanize tho everything helps. Cymbals tend to be pretty easy to hear when they're just a single repeated sample - as in this case. Avoid using the same cymbal sample twice in a row. 0:05 weird note, sounds like it's in the wrong key.

You afraid to post the whole thing or something? :P

Lead strings need to sound way more human than this, the rest isn't as important to humanize tho everything helps. Cymbals tend to be pretty easy to hear when they're just a single repeated sample - as in this case. Avoid using the same cymbal sample twice in a row. 0:05 weird note, sounds like it's in the wrong key.

You afraid to post the whole thing or something? :P

Thank you kindly for the input. I've replaced the string sample with a more realistic one. The note was a bit weird, it's gone now. I'm not yet sure what to do about the drumming, but many thanks on the advice.

And yes, I'm slightly reluctant about posting the whole song. It's far from finished and doesn't have good flow right now. Though it shouldn't matter, it'll be posted later~

The main post contains a link to wip-2!

listening in now.

love the piece, nice job on that. everything seems pretty perceptive, no real worries in the mix it seems. a personal pet peeve, was the violin string type thing got a little bright for me at times(a little annoying) also, maybe you could adjust the attack and releases a bit better so it sounds more natural, as someone said its kind robotic in a sense. other than that i wish it didnt end abruptly so i could hear more.

-tyskie

listening in now.

love the piece, nice job on that. everything seems pretty perceptive, no real worries in the mix it seems. a personal pet peeve, was the violin string type thing got a little bright for me at times(a little annoying) also, maybe you could adjust the attack and releases a bit better so it sounds more natural, as someone said its kind robotic in a sense. other than that i wish it didnt end abruptly so i could hear more.

-tyskie

Thanks again for the helpful feedback. I definitely see where you're coming from if you're calling the lead strings slightly annoying to the ear compared to the rest. I've come up with a solution for it by octaves, I believe. Also many thanks on the instrument-attack feedback, I changed it to hopefully feel more alive.

Entire arrange is now linked to in the main post. I'd love feedback on flow and especially the ending. It's not a very long song, so I think start and ending are important to get right

Your percussion section sounds obnoxious. The cymbals sizzle, and the other instruments in the mix, namely the strings, are just as loud as the percussion. How can that make an impact on the listener? The instruments you used are very low quality. It sounds like a soundblaster midi. You did a good job for the lack of better samples.

You need better reverbs. Reverbs are so incredibly important on orchestral mock ups. It sounds like you're using the default FL ones. Those might work at like 5% wet/95% dry on one instrument buried in the mix somewhere. Maybe.

listen to its levels. They're very low in the quiet passages. Get it to a comfortable level on your DAW, then expect your mixes to be a bit softer and less defined. They'll go through a final mastering stage that will get everything to be like it needs to be.

When doing orchestral music I cannot stress the importance of dynamics enough.

YES, finally something I can work with instead of just retributions for checking out other people's work. Thank you kindly for taking the time to respond.

You're entirely right on the distribution of loudness, orchestral pieces tend to be fast and loud during intense sections, while quiet sections are calm and restful. I'd have to say you often see it when looking at the waveform. It seems like my arrange ended up being a pile of loud and more loud. I will pay closer attention to this in future arranges. You’re also correct on reverb. I never paid much attention to the reverb settings and I can't say I know anything of the technical stuff behind it and what makes a full-reverb realistic.

I am not sure what you mean by dynamics, but I'll assume it's the same as the distribution of soundlevel.