Sean Schafianski's "Final Fantasy VI Garritan" - Free FFVI Remaster Album

justinj212

Hey all. I was lurking on Reddit earlier when I saw a post for a Final Fantasy VI remix album which had recently been released. Sean Schafianski's Final Fantasy VI Garritan is a collection of 51 orchestral remasterings of music from FFVI. Schafianski did a pretty darn good job updating the tracks, and it's free to boot so I figured I'd pass the links on to you guys. The album is available via MegaUpload here or by FileDropper here. Schafianski also has a Youtube channel if you want to check that out.

As far as my favorite tracks, "Dark World" has pretty solid instrumentation and an excellent soundscape, and "Forever Rachel" is poignant and touching. There's plenty to like about Schafianski's remasterings, and I'd encourage you guys to check them out.

Hey all. I was lurking on Reddit earlier when I saw a post for a Final Fantasy VI remix album which had recently been released. Sean Schafianski's Final Fantasy VI Garritan is a collection of 51 orchestral remasterings of music from FFVI. Schafianski did a pretty darn good job updating the tracks, and it's free to boot so I figured I'd pass the links on to you guys. The album is available via MegaUpload here or by FileDropper here. Schafianski also has a Youtube channel if you want to check that out.

As far as my favorite tracks, "Dark World" has pretty solid instrumentation and an excellent soundscape, and "Forever Rachel" is poignant and touching. There's plenty to like about Schafianski's remasterings, and I'd encourage you guys to check them out.

I listened to a few, and I definitely agree about Dark World. It's normally not a track I notice, but the new flute sample really makes it. Others create more problems than they solve -- Locke's theme sounds terrible, for instance. I think it's poor mastering overall -- when the default Garritan mastering works, the track works. When it doesn't, it doesn't work. :P

To be honest, this just sounds like a collection of midirips, and a lot of the great qualities in the originals is lost with how these are done.

I'm not terribly impressed, and I think quite a bunch of people in this community could even do a better job with production on midirips.

He said upfront that it was essentially midi rips with Garritan sounds subbing in -- what did you expect?

• 1 year later...

This thread is over a year old and I've never seen this yet, wow.

Hey all, this is Sean Schafianski (sschafi1 on YouTube). I can't believe I never knew this thread existed; possibly because I'm hardly ever on OCR, lol.

Thanks for the attention, Justin. I do agree with Dissidia as well, how some of my stuff is hit or miss. HOWEVER, a lot of time has passed since I uploaded those and I have gotten much better at mixing and mastering. I even got some great software to boot. :D

My newest videos showcase what I can do now. I plan on updating the rest of my list and deleting the old vids that sound terrible. I have to admit, I was very limited by my software at the time, and I had no idea how to use Pro Tools or any other DAW for that matter, haha.

Anywho, I'm glad my name is getting out there at least. Thanks for the plug, Justin! Feel free to check out my newest music too! http://www.youtube.com/sschafi1

I like the way the Narshe one sounds. I just wish he hadn't changed the piano part into a wooden xylophone. I just take these remasters as "another take" on the theme. They're aren't really any bad ones in my opinion. Just different ones.

For the most part, I want to keep the music itself the same, so not really remix it. Depending on the track, I throw in a difference here and there to give a different take on it, like you said. For Narshe, I actualy preferred the sound of the Xylophone. I pictured Umaro playing a xylo made of bones, haha :P