Mass Effect - Renegade of Rhythm, Paragon of Bass (Saren's Theme)

SyntaxTerror

Alright, I think I've been doodling with music software for long enough, time to get some actual feedback on improving the quality of some of this stuff. This is a track I haven't been working that long on, but it's one I've grown to like. It's the beginning of a remix of, as you might have noticed, "Saren" from the wonderful Mass Effect soundtrack.

Now, here's a direct link to the current version of the track. And a youtube link to the

, almost forgot.

Now, there are a few elements that I've been wondering about especially: Firstly, the voice clips. Using them seems a bit... maybe too easy. Do they detract from the music itself? I made a few tries, but couldn't make those parts sound as convincing without them as they do (to me) like this.

Secondly, the part between :40 and 1:40. I have the feeling it could be made to sound more like actual club acoustics, but, at least with various combinations of bass boost, volume control and multiband compressors, I couldn't get it right without either completely muddying up the audio or making the wrong instruments accented.

Obviously, feedback on anything and everything else up to and including the state of mass media today is also appreciated.

I'm underwhelmed by the melody on the midi piano. I mean the source is like "BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAH BWAAAH BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" and you've just got a wimpy bare-bones piano sample replacing that? Blasphemy. At least use lower notes or whatever the not-making-me-sound-retarded term is for using more than one key at a time for a little more oomph.

Your guitars almost do it justice. But everything just sounds so stiff and midi-like that it's got no power behind any of it.

I'm not hearing anything resembling "Paragon of Bass" written into this, even if it did have more production value. Though, on the bright side, I know what to name my band next time I play Guitar Hero.

Keep the first voice clip, lose Saren's voice. I get it's his theme but he's just got a wimpy voice. Maybe something else by Shephard or Sovereign would sound better. Sovereign's voice: now there's a Paragon of Bass if I've ever heard one.