Length of Time to Complete a Song?

I've usually work on stuff for about 6 or so hours before I get it out, longer if it has vocals, and shorter if it's some cover I'm uploading to YouTube. And yeah, I've been noticing that I don't take enough time with my tracks to get everything perfect like I really should, so I'll probably be spending a lot more time on future tracks.

• 2 weeks later...

On average, it takes me 10-20 hours to finish a song. But it can vary if I'm trying to finish a bunch of songs at once (I really need to stop doing that.)

I work even faster when I'm in the zone, but I usually have to be intoxicated for that to happen, so it doesn't happen too often. My record time is 5 hours (The Song of Ruin).

All of my songs are guitar-based, so the length of completion depends. I usually spend about 3 or 4 hours learning how to play the song and the accompanying harmonies. Here's where I start to introduce my original content and alternative arrangement ideas.

I spend another 3 or 4 hours programming drums, rehearsing the parts, and maybe recording scratch tracks for my own benefit.

The recording process could take me anywhere between 3 and 5 hours, depending on how well I'm on my game that day and how many tracks I need to record. Then I could sit and mix the song forever and never be completely happy with it. Realistically, I might spend 2 hours mixing.

So over a few-day spread, I could probably complete a song in 12-15 hours. That's for an average length 5-minute track for me.

I made a (rather short and technically unfinished) rap beat in probably 4 or 5 hours. That's pretty much the only non-solo piano piece I've ever finished.

My biggest issue is that once I get something that hey actually sounds kind of cool, I just listen to it and revel in my luckiness and before I know it I hate the damn thing and it's been a week and a half and I have no idea what I was originally writing and then my computer freezes and I lose the track. Fun.

Rexxz's number is fairly accurate, but it really depends on the music and presets a person has. If I'm well set up (thank God for my own studio setup) I can get about a minute every two hours, but depending on the piece it can take more (more effects heavy electronica) or less (pure orchestra/less effects heavy music).

50-60 hours on a single minute is a bit long (referring to the OP, there). Be sure that you're not spending too much refining and fine tuning a piece that isn't finished. It should have clean production, but no final polish should be applied until the whole song is finished. There's just too much time wasted when you invest time in a part of the song that ends up being removed in the compositional process.

That's my two cents, there.

5 - 10 hours for a polished instrumental.

14 years for a good vocal. :P

Seriously though it takes me for ever and ever and ever to finish vocals. :\ Getting better though

I don't like spending too much time on a particular song because sometimes I add too much to it and in the end I delete all the additions and realize that it was better in the beginning.

But heck yeah to vocals... always takes the MOST time [for me]. The vocals and the bass line are usually what adds hours to my process..

50-60 hours on a single minute is a bit long (referring to the OP, there). Be sure that you're not spending too much refining and fine tuning a piece that isn't finished. It should have clean production, but no final polish should be applied until the whole song is finished. There's just too much time wasted when you invest time in a part of the song that ends up being removed in the compositional process.

That's my two cents, there.

No doubt, I'm guilty of this. Less guilty since the time I posted this as I've dramatically reduced my composition time (thanks to some tips from here :smile:), but I just get so antsy to hear what the unfinished song will sound like in an almost-finished mixed state. Patience does prove efficient.

I feel my compositional time will most likely be above the average time, but that's probably just a part of my personality :350: and it reflects in my music.

There are some people that can pump out songs in under 3 hours, like zircon. He's just crazy talented.

It takes me anywhere from 40-80 hours to complete a song on average. Yeah, that's a pretty big gap. It depends on what is in the song, how many different parts are there, if I am writing as I'm recording, etc.

If the songs been sitting in my head for a week and I'm just starting to get it ironed out, it is closer to 40 hours. If I just have an idea floating around in my head, it's closer to 80.

80 hours is a guestimate. But the longest it's taken me to complete a song once I've started it was a week. Take out sleeping, eating and working and it's probably around 72-80.