From box to box: xenon odyssey's awesome new computer (BUILD PICS PAGE 3)

prophetik music

alright, here's pictures from the build weekend!

IMG_0603.jpg

Yo, that thing looks SICK. I want...

I might be starting my own little project pretty soon if I can find someone that would want my old PC. I just gotta gather all of the equipment I need and make sure it will all works together (that's gonna be the hard part for me).

I would very much like to replicate your setup (except, use purple or blue LEDs instead of red). Was the list you posted up earlier of everything you needed to build this, or is there some extra stuff you need?

Obviously, I'm a noob when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Yo, that thing looks SICK. I want...

I might be starting my own little project pretty soon if I can find someone that would want my old PC. I just gotta gather all of the equipment I need and make sure it will all works together (that's gonna be the hard part for me).

I would very much like to replicate your setup (except, use purple or blue LEDs instead of red). Was the list you posted up earlier of everything you needed to build this, or is there some extra stuff you need?

Obviously, I'm a noob when it comes to this kind of stuff.

if you don't mind losing the on/off functionality of the LEDs, you can go with different fans. these are the ones that come with the Storm Scout case, which has LEDs that can be turned on and off independently of the fans themselves.

get in touch with me when you're looking to build. we'll see what we can put together.

if you don't mind losing the on/off functionality of the LEDs, you can go with different fans. these are the ones that come with the Storm Scout case, which has LEDs that can be turned on and off independently of the fans themselves.

get in touch with me when you're looking to build. we'll see what we can put together.

Sure will! Thanks.

Intel Core 2 Duo 1.82 GHz, 4 GB RAM (3.5 Gigs usable),

Windows 7.

256 MB Radeon X1050 graphics card.

Creative Audigy 4 sound card. (I lost the remote that went with it though.)

My mom is thinking about taking it, but she has not given me a definite answer yet.

wow, that's pretty old =) you'll love your upgrade, particularly from the x1050.

wow, that's pretty old =) you'll love your upgrade, particularly from the x1050.

:-(. Yup its old. I got it when dual core was relatively new technology (back in 06, I believe) and Its been working faithfully for me since day one, even when it had Vista on it. I'll be sad to see it go, but its time. I've pretty much maxed out everything I could except for the graphics.

Its definitely time for an upgrade. I usually just buy a "high end" CPU from best buy, and then make modifications later, but this time, I want to start from scratch and build a machine that will last me for a while.

About how much did you spend total on your setup, prophetik?

:-(. Yup its old. I got it when dual core was relatively new technology (back in 06, I believe) and Its been working faithfully for me since day one, even when it had Vista on it. I'll be sad to see it go, but its time. I've pretty much maxed out everything I could except for the graphics.

Its definitely time for an upgrade. I usually just buy a "high end" CPU from best buy, and then make modifications later, but this time, I want to start from scratch and build a machine that will last me for a while.

About how much did you spend total on your setup, prophetik?

it depends on what you're looking for, honestly. i'm a power supply snob, so i spent a lot extra on a high-performance, modular power supply. i also didn't need eight cores for a gaming-only machine with no music or multithreadable apps, so i went with a less-costly cpu.

you could build a relatively capable gaming system for under 800$, i think, if you make concessions on the power supply, hard drive (no ssd), and case.

it depends on what you're looking for, honestly. i'm a power supply snob, so i spent a lot extra on a high-performance, modular power supply. i also didn't need eight cores for a gaming-only machine with no music or multithreadable apps, so i went with a less-costly cpu.

you could build a relatively capable gaming system for under 800$, i think, if you make concessions on the power supply, hard drive (no ssd), and case.

I'm still trying to decide how I want to do this. I know I want to have a 2TB HDD for saving regular files, pics, movies, ect, and I want to have a good sized SSD for my OS and program installation. The problem is, they are high as hell, so I might have to get a 80gb SSD.

I'm kinda confused about the new memory types and speeds. I want 12gb of the fastest type (DDR3 2133) of memory, but I think Windows 7 can only take a certain amount of speed and memory capacity (or something.)

We will need a Blue-ray drive and a cd/dvd writer, because I will want to copy and write stuff simultaneously. I assume I could use the Blue-ray drive the same way as one would use a regular optical dvd/cd drive.

I want a fast ass processor (AMD, not Intel), but I know certain processors work with certain motherboards, then certain graphics and sound cards work with certain motherboards, AND THEN certain boards fit in certain computer cases!:banghead:

So, I gotta do more research and figure out what works with what.

1. ssds are crazy expensive, and they're more of a power-user thing. if you're building a $1800 dollar system, they're a good option. under that? boost your graphics card or something. you'll get way more of a performance gain.

2. will you actually use 12gb of RAM? you need a 64-bit program in 64-bit Windows to actually have a program utilize all that - and there aren't 64-bit games, in all honesty =) if you're doing music, you've gotta make sure you either use a 64-bit version of your DAW (FL Studio has no 64-bit Windows, for example) or a program like jBridge. also, you have no use for DDR3 2133. the difference in performance from 1333 and 2133 is like a total of 7-9% in high-end real-world performance tests. not to mention that there isn't a motherboard that supports anything over 1600 natively. when they list having that support, you have to OC it to get it stable up at that level. they're just rated for higher heat dispersion. but to spend two or three times as much money for 7%? better graphics cards or cpu, not ram.

3. blu-ray drives function as dvd-rw drives if you buy a combo drive, yeah. as for copying and writing simultaneously, that's a relatively cpu-intensive task. do you need that functionality?

4. if you want a fast processor, you don't want amd. amd processors, even at the same rated "speed", are hotter, run slower, and don't address and utilize memory properly. amd's are ok if you have no money, but to be honest pretty much everything that's worth your time is intel. amd didn't even have modern quad-core processors over 3ghz for years after intel got them. you WILL want a good cpu cooler, however, regardless. you have to match socket for socket (like, LGA 1156 cpus with 1156 motherboards), but certain graphics cards? no, everything works with everything. also, you don't need a sound card. you might want an audio interface, but sound cards are kind of 1995. the only reason they're still around is because people don't realize that they're completely and utterly useless.

pretty much, tell me how much money you have to work with, and i'll give you some avenues to pursue on the research front =)

my suggestions? an 1156-based motherboard (giga p55a-ud3 if you're OCing or need SATA III, the ud2a[?] otherwise), an i5-760 (quad core, no hyperthreading) or i7-870 (quad with hyperthreading), 6-8gb of RAM max, gtx 260 or higher graphics card (i primarily use nvidia cards, but there are good ati cards as well like the 5770 1gb), a good case with good cooling, a hyper 212+ cpu cooler, and a high-efficiency power supply by a reputable manufacturer like corsair or seasonic.

1. ssds are crazy expensive, and they're more of a power-user thing. if you're building a $1800 dollar system, they're a good option. under that? boost your graphics card or something. you'll get way more of a performance gain.

I'll be going with a 80GB SSD. I believe that will be plenty of space for my OS, FL Studio and the VSTs.

2. will you actually use 12gb of RAM? you need a 64-bit program in 64-bit Windows to actually have a program utilize all that - and there aren't 64-bit games, in all honesty =) if you're doing music, you've gotta make sure you either use a 64-bit version of your DAW (FL Studio has no 64-bit Windows, for example) or a program like jBridge. also, you have no use for DDR3 2133. the difference in performance from 1333 and 2133 is like a total of 7-9% in high-end real-world performance tests. not to mention that there isn't a motherboard that supports anything over 1600 natively. when they list having that support, you have to OC it to get it stable up at that level. they're just rated for higher heat dispersion. but to spend two or three times as much money for 7%? better graphics cards or cpu, not ram.

My friend has been on my ass about the memory thing as well. And you are both right. I probably wont be using that much memory at once, so I guess I could just go with 8GB DDR3. I just want this damn system to last a good while before I need to build another just to "keep up." I also don't want to deal with any form of OCing.

3. blu-ray drives function as dvd-rw drives if you buy a combo drive, yeah. as for copying and writing simultaneously, that's a relatively cpu-intensive task. do you need that functionality?

I could live with only a combo drive. Its just that, when I had the DVD/CD / DVD-RW setup on an older system, I found that it was less time consuming. I do alot of DVD copying for my girlfriend's business and I often have my laptop and my desktop copying stuff at the same time to save time. Its a pain in the ass.

4. if you want a fast processor, you don't want amd. amd processors, even at the same rated "speed", are hotter, run slower, and don't address and utilize memory properly. amd's are ok if you have no money, but to be honest pretty much everything that's worth your time is intel. amd didn't even have modern quad-core processors over 3ghz for years after intel got them. you WILL want a good cpu cooler, however, regardless. you have to match socket for socket (like, LGA 1156 cpus with 1156 motherboards), but certain graphics cards? no, everything works with everything. also, you don't need a sound card. you might want an audio interface, but sound cards are kind of 1995. the only reason they're still around is because people don't realize that they're completely and utterly useless.

I didn't realize how integrated things are now a days. The last time I worked on building a system with my dad, IT WAS A FUCKING NIGHTMARE!!!!

I suppose I just have a biased opinion on AMD and Intel. I found that my computer with that AMD processor was much more reliable than the one I have now with the Intel processor. They were literally the exact same computer, but one had AMD, and the other had Intel. The whole year I had my computer with AMD, I never had a program crash on me. When I gave that one to my sister, and got the one I have now, I experienced programs crashing randomly, even when I wasn't doing anything with them at the time.

But, I did say that I want speed, so I'll remain open minded on this subject. Now, whats the difference between the Core i7 Bloomfield, and this Sandy Bridge thing, and how do they compare to the AMD Phenom X6?

Whats the difference between having an audio interface and a sound card? I can tell you right now that there will be a 5.1 surround sound system, so I do want to get the most out of it.

Oh, and also, I want wireless networking on this pc. So, an internal wireless adapter will be needed.

And the whole thing about the CPU cooler and socket for socket match thing you said, yea, that was about 5 feet over my head...

pretty much, tell me how much money you have to work with, and i'll give you some avenues to pursue on the research front =)

I only have about $900 on hand right now, but I'm planning on building a $1200-$1500 dollar machine (hopefully less, if my hookups can come through for me.) I always plan for the worst case scenario though.

I want to save up a bit more and make sure I'll still have that type of spending power after I move. I prefer the get the parts piece by piece, but I heard that its better to just get them all at once.

my suggestions? an 1156-based motherboard (giga p55a-ud3 if you're OCing or need SATA III, the ud2a[?] otherwise), an i5-760 (quad core, no hyperthreading) or i7-870 (quad with hyperthreading), 6-8gb of RAM max, gtx 260 or higher graphics card (i primarily use nvidia cards, but there are good ati cards as well like the 5770 1gb), a good case with good cooling, a hyper 212+ cpu cooler, and a high-efficiency power supply by a reputable manufacturer like corsair or seasonic.

Pretty nice looking setup. Noob, question time: How can you tell what type of case will work with what type of motherboard? You know, with the screw inserts, fans, slots in the back of the case, wireless networking cards, ect.? Is there some sort of standard, or guide? Sorry, if I'm annoying.

cases are described by what they can fit - like, MicroATX Desktop, or ATX Mid Tower. micro-atx and atx are motherboard sizes.

80gb is what xenon went with. just consider that, between that and a 2tb storage drive, that's 250-300$ of your 1200$ build - a FOURTH - going into just hard drives. you'd be better off going with a 1tb primary and a 2tb low-power backup, giving you more space for only around 200 bones.

as for ram, easiest upgrade ever. just make sure you buy 4gb sticks, and it's just a matter of sticking more ram in.

also, OCing isn't necessarily unstable or bad. a lot of computers sold today are overclocked stably, and there's no problem with it. xenon's is OC'd to, what, 3.4ghz? and the only tradeoff is that it runs five degrees hotter. it's not going to kill it or something.

sounds like you do have a need for a secondary drive. i'd avoid using the blu-ray to write, though, since that added functionality is really expensive. get a blu-ray reader, save the 100$, and then get a dvd-rw combo as your secondary.

the older bloomfield processors are tried and true, whereas the newer sandy bridge stuff is so new it doesn't have good documentation on what motherboards are good, etc. when you're looking to buy? go sandy bridge. but right now? the 1156 socket is the way to go.

audio interface = a recording interface. sound card = an x-fi or other add-on card. all a sound card does is give your system an analog audio out that is less noisy than the normal motherboard audio (which is usually pretty good). an audio interface can do all that, and give you recording capability. it usually is outside the system, too, and plugs in via a USB or something.

internal wireless networking = 15$ or so. easy add-in card.

as for the cpu coolers, sandy bridge uses the same socket mounting design as the 1156 chips, so just get a hyper 212+ and be done with it =)

in all honestly, while it sounds like you know a decent amount about some of the hardware, you don't know enough to ensure that you won't get incompatible parts :< when you're looking to buy, let me know and i'll look over your build, make sure you're not getting anything that won't hook up.

in all honestly, while it sounds like you know a decent amount about some of the hardware, you don't know enough to ensure that you won't get incompatible parts :< when you're looking to buy, let me know and i'll look over your build, make sure you're not getting anything that won't hook up.

I can see it now...:

With sweat streaming down his forehead and heart beating like a piledriver, he slowly proceeded to stick his IDE drive cable into the SATA por-

Wait, WHAT!?

Also, I liked the picture with the computer in it. :D

I came across a pretty good looking motherboard-cpu combo deal on Newegg.

It can give me good speed and memory expandability. What do you guys think?

a 200$ mobo is way more than you need =) the 1366 processors are pretty much solely for people who are overclocking. there's a lot of cheaper equivalencies available for normal use.

AS REQUESTED:

imgp0316k.jpg

The set-up:

-28" Hanns-G HZ281HPB

-Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse

-teh MONSTAR underneath

-MacBook Pro thing on the right, in front of 1TB external

imgp0317h.jpg

Up-close shot of the monster

Apparently ImageShack doesn't like my pic of my MIDI controller against the wall so you can't see it but imagine a Korg K61P sitting up against a wall and you'll pretty much have the right idea.

my camera is shit kthnx