Zelda Link's Awakening - Awaken on Koholint

I am quite sure this was made using FL studio's Sakura plugin. Sakura is very bad reproducing harps, they always end up sounding too rough. Well, it's very bad at everything actually. And because hardly anyone ever buys the plugin, there's close to no presets for it. Of course I can't be 100% sure. Up to 1:06min there's some sort of banjo, a harp, pizzicato strings and a bg pad.

You'd be far better off using a sampled harp, it would do your remix more justice. The wind/bg pad (and later the 'singing') fits very well. I've been wanting to use some sort of wind sound for ages now, but you show me it really does sound great behind a laid-back song. There's two out-of-key notes at 0:45~0:47. The drumming masks the other instruments too much.

Overall, really nice relaxing song. As a side-note, you could have amplified this song at least 6dB. There really is no excuse for not saving a song to its maximum volume

You'd be far better off using a sampled harp, it would do your remix more justice.

You seem to have a thing with harps :P

It's too empty. I like the samples you used, though I would take redt's advice and see if you can get a better harp sample. The mix needs something more. Put some strings in there or other instruments. Also, the arrangement need work. Very repetitive. It sounds too much like a cover.

where's the download link on soundcloud?? ;)

i really like this... the harps don't bother me at all, and whatever that other plucky instrument is (of asian descent?), has a great sound for this melody. i do agree that especially the beginning (pre percussion) sounds a little empty, but i think that's a result of tempo. the quick staccato from both instruments makes my ears assign it a kind of faux percussion in my head; perhaps slowing it down a little bit or starting off a little simpler would let those lovely notes stand on their own.

the rest is magic, imho.

I didn't use this sakura you speak of. I have not and will never use FL. It's just not my thing. I'm a staunch Cubase user. I used a harp sample library that I consider to be one of the best. What you're hearing isn't all harp. It's an instrument called a guzheng that is supported by a harp. I think your issue is, you want to hear a harp and you're hearing another instrument. I would be upset if I was forcing myself to hear an oboe if it's really a clarinet. Luckily, I can decipher instruments and go with flow.

Well excuse me for being critical and questioning your arrangement. I will have to ask you to respond more nicely next time you receive critique, even if the critique is 100% wrong.