Legend of Zelda - Underworld Dubstep Remix

Mekamodo

Yeah, I've just started work on another Zelda remix. It's good fun trying to make new versions of the tunes I grew up listening to. Especially because you can make versions that you can then play in a normal DJ set at parties.

It's a shame modern computer games don't seem to have music as good as they had in the 80s and 90s. It's amazing what people could create with just a few sine, square and noise waves!

Especially because you can make versions that you can then play in a normal DJ set at parties.

are you saying that you would play this track in a DJ set at a party? have you actually tried that? don't take offense to this but I want to balance out the feedback a bit here

I mean, it's really really basic, and it barely even qualifies as dubstep as far as I'm concerned. the beat literally NEVER CHANGES (aside from some lowpass filtering and maybe two delayed sound effects), and the bass instrument/LFO is also exactly the same throughout the entire song.

top off that lazy accompaniment with what sounds like a blatant midi rip of the source tune, without any attention to lining up the downbeats of your stuff and the original, and you've got yourself a snoozer

this is going to need a hell of a lot more creativity and effort before it's even close to OCR quality

Cheers for the feedback.

It was actually just a little experiment I made over the course of a few hours to test whether I could use loops recorded from the original NES tune using Ableton in a tune. I spent most of that time just trying to get a 16 bar loop that seemed to work.

I have no plans to try and get it released on OCR - it's just a little experiment.

And for the record I did play it at a party and it went down well. If people like it that's great, if not it's no problem :)

well if you ain't aiming for OCR

then get on with your bad self

edit: but I would still encourage you to push yourself as far as creativity and variation are concerned. even within a genre as repetitive as electronica, it's now becoming more and more of a requirement to keep things interesting for the ADD generation

Cheers. Yeah, in the future I'd definately like to have something released on OCR, but I've got a long way to go before my tunes are good enough.

And yeah, I agree with the variation thing most definately. My next remix will have a lot more effort on it. I've only just learned how to chop tunes up into nice loops for remixing (using Ableton was the key) so I'm gonna see what I can come up with next.