Monitor Questions (was: Hey for you top end guys)

Hyperion5182

Rigs like you remixers work with probably have a lot of bells and whistles. Multi monitoring and such. I'm looking to upgrade from 1 19 inch to either a pair of one 19 and one 24 maybe 23 depending on the monitor. The problem i have is desk space. I need a fan up on the desk to keep the air moving in the summer when it gets very hot. i have about a 5*5 square to work with but as i look for desks online i'm not finding a lot of multi monitoring and the L shaped desks are pretty large. If someone has a suggestion i'd appreciate it as i prepare to upgrade my current gaming zone.

Cant do that. I have a massive window in the center of the room Mounting those is almost impossible with out extreme modifications Something i really dont want to have to do. I'm hoping to find something i can use without extreme modifications or having to completely redesign the room.

Rigs like you remixers work with probably have a lot of bells and whistles. Multi monitoring and such. I'm looking to upgrade from 1 19 inch to either a pair of one 19 and one 24 maybe 23 depending on the monitor. The problem i have is desk space. I need a fan up on the desk to keep the air moving in the summer when it gets very hot. i have about a 5*5 square to work with but as i look for desks online i'm not finding a lot of multi monitoring and the L shaped desks are pretty large. If someone has a suggestion i'd appreciate it as i prepare to upgrade my current gaming zone.

i'd suggest a monitor arm. i use a 27.5" primary (300$ on newegg, Hanns-G is the manufacturer) with a 22" Acer on an ergotech LX monitor arm. ergotech makes a newer one that's cheaper than the 135$ i spent on that one.

just make sure that your desk can mount it (you need about 3.5" of lip to hook the thing on, or a place to mount the post for it), and you'll be fine.

this might be a dumb question, but do you really need a fan on the desk? is that for you, or for your computer? if it's for your computer, that's an easy fix =)

i'd suggest a monitor arm. i use a 27.5" primary (300$ on newegg, Hanns-G is the manufacturer) with a 22" Acer on an ergotech LX monitor arm. ergotech makes a newer one that's cheaper than the 135$ i spent on that one.

just make sure that your desk can mount it (you need about 3.5" of lip to hook the thing on, or a place to mount the post for it), and you'll be fine.

this might be a dumb question, but do you really need a fan on the desk? is that for you, or for your computer? if it's for your computer, that's an easy fix =)

I have the worst cooling in the house. And my window wont take a current air conditioner. (its 4 feet wide...) I must have my main door closed or the cat runs around wild in here. I love the bugger but i do NOT want that. Even with the door open it doesn't exactly get a fair shake. My room gets to boiling temps even with a fan in the window. The fan that sits on my desk in the summer cools me off and keeps air moving in general. My PC handles the heat like champ but i get no AC. The mount is a bit of an extreme thing but by the dimensions maybe not impossible. If i had better cooling options i could take the fan off the window get a few braces and mount some wood to stabalize the second shelf. But i dont have that option right now.

I has a 52" HDTV monitor

I was going to get a L desk but the price shot up 100% before I could buy it

I use an organ bench for my keyboard / mouse and the MIDI keyboard is on a keyboard stand to my left. :3

The TV or monitor as it were, is on a TV table that has 2 shelves in it, holds my consoles and mini-monitors ROFL the kind that play audio.

i would suggest avoiding using TVs if possible for monitors. as nice as it may seem, they don't support computer resolutions (16:9, 60hz) natively, and as a result they often skew screen images slightly.

there's also the fact that those screens are meant to be viewed at a distance of 6-8 feet, rather than the normal viewing distance of 18-24 inches for a monitor. you'd be better off getting the 28" monitor i suggested above. at the proper viewing distances and angles, it appears as large as a 52-54" TV, no worries.

i would suggest avoiding using TVs if possible for monitors. as nice as it may seem, they don't support computer resolutions (16:9, 60hz) natively, and as a result they often skew screen images slightly.

there's also the fact that those screens are meant to be viewed at a distance of 6-8 feet, rather than the normal viewing distance of 18-24 inches for a monitor. you'd be better off getting the 28" monitor i suggested above. at the proper viewing distances and angles, it appears as large as a 52-54" TV, no worries.

The trick with that will be keeping the games properly setup. Multimonitoring was partly considered because i wanted one monitor for chat and one for gaming. But its still something i have to mull over.

Rigs like you remixers work with probably have a lot of bells and whistles. Multi monitoring and such. I'm looking to upgrade from 1 19 inch to either a pair of one 19 and one 24 maybe 23 depending on the monitor.

Lol, for a second I thought: "Never seen a 19 inch monitor, neither 24 nor 23" - but you are referring to display monitors, not monitor speakers for mixing... hehe, ok - my bad for misunderstanding.

Well, I guess in your case I would try to go as prophetik suggested, but maybe you can post pictures, so we have a better view and understanding for the situation? Making it more visible might surely improve the suggestions.

cheers,

-luhny