I thought I wasn't too bad with a guitar

Wacky

If you're ever in need of a jaw dropping, just type 'Guthrie Govan' in youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=440p8ZQZ3Js&feature=related (3:00.... I don't even.....)

It's more impressive when you realize that half of his pieces are usually improvised sections with always completely different but consistently ridiculous and tasteful.

The thing about that type of playing I have to wonder when I see it is - How are you suppose to know if they even mess up? It doesn't sound to me like they are playing anything in particular, just shredding away not knowing what they will do next.

I'm not saying it isn't killer good playing. It just doesn't take my breath away.

If you're ever in need of a jaw dropping, just type 'Guthrie Govan' in youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=440p8ZQZ3Js&feature=related (3:00.... I don't even.....)

It's more impressive when you realize that half of his pieces are usually improvised sections with always completely different but consistently ridiculous and tasteful.

guthrie govan is so fucking good! i wish he'd work on a new album. he's one of my favorite guitarists.

The thing about that type of playing I have to wonder when I see it is - How are you suppose to know if they even mess up? It doesn't sound to me like they are playing anything in particular, just shredding away not knowing what they will do next.

I'm not saying it isn't killer good playing. It just doesn't take my breath away.

Yeah, you know I think yo-

Seems to me that if you can't tell whether or not somebody is messing up, that means they're pretty fucking good.

Oh, never mind.

I've got to agree with the guy in the rubber suit. (ROFL!)

All those guys can shred exquisitely but Schuldiner's solos can be described as being much more "INTERESTING."

But my favorite shreddy guitarist of all time is Luca Turili. Nobody can arpeggio like he arpeggios!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7IEu1BKFkE&feature=related

But my favorite shreddy guitarist of all time is Luca Turili. Nobody can arpeggio like he arpeggios!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7IEu1BKFkE&feature=related

sometimes too much listening-exposure to "shreddy" guitarists makes me feel like I wasted my time trying to be a shredder;

so, watching things like

always makes me feel pretty good about dropped C power chords and my attempts at sweep-picking. =/

heh another guitarist thread.

Ok, in that case... I gotta say out of the underrated guitarists you don't hear about, I think Vito Bratta is pretty good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrPJgnOXjy8&feature=player_detailpage#t=139s

Great sense of melody + flashy guitar techniques (tapping etc) = win imo. Think somewhere between eric johnson and eddie van halen.

Also, I found this guy on youtube about a year ago:

Some of the fastest and cleanest guitar shredding i've ever heard, he's better than some of the famous guitar shredders.

Chuck Schuldiner is definitely one of my favorite guitarists. While self taught, very repetitive in his early work and over reliant on the harmonic minor scale, he grew as a musician and guitarist to develop a very distinct and unique style.

Schuldiner is definitely one of my favourites. While I feel like a lot of genre pioneers get surpassed by bands that come after them, I feel like Chuck's growth as a musician and his tendency to lean towards a lot of progressive and innovative songwriting in later Death albums really sets it apart from a lot of death metal even today.

He was taken from us far too early. :(

Schuldiner is definitely one of my favourites. While I feel like a lot of genre pioneers get surpassed by bands that come after them, I feel like Chuck's growth as a musician and his tendency to lean towards a lot of progressive and innovative songwriting in later Death albums really sets it apart from a lot of death metal even today.

He was taken from us far too early. :(

Agreed. Ironically, Chuck originally hated the progressive death metal movement, feeling that death metal should not stray far from its roots. Thankfully he came out of that idiotic haze.

I've posted this before, but it's appropriate for the thread.