Used Game Stores, Sega Saturns, and other things

EC2151

I want a Saturn copy of Symphony of the Night so bad but I hear it runs for over 200 bucks. It's really worth it though with all of the added content that was left out in PS version. I also looking at a LCD HDTV but I want to some price comparisons first. Any recommendations? How do these older games look on them? If a CRT looks close to the same then I'll just stick to that.

Well I won Legend of Oasis for 20 bucks. This brings my list of stuff I've gotten to:

Astal

Shining the Holy Ark

Dragon Force

Darius Gaiden

Panzer Dragoon Zwei

Bug!

Command and Conquer (only comes with the NOD disc. Man...)

Galactic Attack (OH GOD ANOTHER SHOOTER WHY)

NiGHTS into Dreams with 3D controller

Virtua Racing (I bought this with the other two games at the actual used store. So bad it's funny)

Daytona CCE

That brings the "want" list to Panzer Dragoon, Albert Odyssey, and Street Fighter Alpha 2 (the one I won turned out to not be in stock. So.... I got a refund. I GUESS that's ok.).

Like I said, I hope Legend of Oasis is good. The gameplay vids make me feel the perspective is awkward.

I want a Saturn copy of Symphony of the Night so bad but I hear it runs for over 200 bucks. It's really worth it though with all of the added content that was left out in PS version.

It's one small area of the map, a couple of tunes and one fairy type. That's it. I think there's a weapon or two, but considering the longer load times, the considerably reduced effects, and the slowdown, it ain't worth $200.

And this comes from someone who owns it (paid $50 from EB back when they carried import Saturn games).

Like I said, I hope Legend of Oasis is good. The gameplay vids make me feel the perspective is awkward.

The perspective's fine. And if you play it and don't like it, there's something wrong with you :-P

It's one small area of the map, a couple of tunes and one fairy type. That's it. I think there's a weapon or two, but considering the longer load times, the considerably reduced effects, and the slowdown, it ain't worth $200.

And this comes from someone who owns it (paid $50 from EB back when they carried import Saturn games).

The perspective's fine. And if you play it and don't like it, there's something wrong with you :-P

You're forgetting the ability to play as teenage Maria, Coop ;) (Unless I'm getting senile, and forgetting that one of the other releases had her as well.)

I remember EB carrying imports. Software ect... did too before they were bought out by Gamestop. That's where I got my copy of SotN for the Saturn. They also had a copy of Radiant Silvergun for $40, which I'm still kicking myself for not picking up.

You're forgetting the ability to play as teenage Maria, Coop ;) (Unless I'm getting senile, and forgetting that one of the other releases had her as well.)

I remember EB carrying imports. Software ect... did too before they were bought out by Gamestop. That's where I got my copy of SotN for the Saturn. They also had a copy of Radiant Silvergun for $40, which I'm still kicking myself for not picking up.

True, I forgot about Maria. However, she's really not that fun to use in my opinion. The game feels right playing as Alucard and Richter. With Maria, it's... off.

AS for RS, we'll see. It's obviously been graphically tweaked (lots of glowy and particle-like effects in the shots and such), and since little's been seen outside of the minute-long trailer, it's yet to prove itself as being a worthwhile port.

So i beat Darius Gaiden, the second of my 3 initial Saturn games.

Are all the endings supposed to be this fucking terrible?

My friend and I just sat there, staring in disbelief. Then we tried out abnormal mode and very easy mode.

Sigh.

Anyhoo, Dragon Force came, and a few more are slated for tomorrow, but I still don't have a memory card, so, to quote one of the many sucky endings of Darius Gaiden:

I was "AT QUITE A LOSS WHAT TO DO"

True, I forgot about Maria. However, she's really not that fun to use in my opinion. The game feels right playing as Alucard and Richter. With Maria, it's... off.

Man, just get Dracula X Chronicles on the PSP, the redone version on there has a better Maria (more like her RoB incarnation) and the missing nose fairy

You know, sometimes i have to wonder "How much am I willing to spend on used games for this thing?"

My library continues to grow, and most games I get are in the single digit range (Bug! for $3, Galactic Attack for $4, NiGHTS for like $7...), which is fine and dandy by me.

I really am loving the games I've gotten- they are all for the most part a blast to play (notable exceptions: Daytona CCE and Virtua Racing. You were right, Coop. I can't control those cars for shit). And I've been lucky that I've been able to get some of the rarer RPGs like Dragon Force and Shining the Holy Ark (which is pretty fun btw).

But then, there's stuff like finding Albert Odyssey sans manual for $45. I mean, it's supposed to be great... but is it worth it? Should I just snag it, because if i don't, someone else will take it and all I'll be left with is the $90+ copies (sometimes for only the disc!)?

I never really want to pay more than $50 for a game used; that's pretty much my rule. $30 actually begins to push it, unless it's really rare (after all I did buy an SNES copy of FFIII for $30 years ago).

Everything I get usually fairly cheap or something I really want. I'm a bargain hunter. Even with new stuff, I won't buy it new unless it's something I really like. With the older stuff, I stick to my favorite stores like Starland and I get a few things here and there off Craigslist. I'm Emperor Charlemagne, though. I generally don't spend more than $50 at a time for older console stuff. Hell, part of the fun for me is finding these things as the cheapo prices.

Ahh Saturn. I've had mine since...when was it now... I think since 1996 or 1997 when it first came out and it still runs great! Though my library is limited and funny enough I was actually looking at craigslist yesterday and i beleive I saw someone selling Dragon Force for about $30 though with out the box.

Some games I like are Shining Wisdom (Action RPG) it's fun little game very Zelda-esque. If you are a fan of Dragon Ball Z (or a hardcore fan like I was back in the day) you may find some fun in Dragon Ball Z Legends, though its not really that great of a game, but fun nonetheless. I remember I went to study abroad in Tokyo and picked up Panzer Dragoon and Panzer Dragoon Zwei at the used game shop :)

Well, to compliment my previous post, I found a copy of Albert Odyssey, complete, for $35. I don't know why the guy didn't up the price- that was his offer just to purchase!

I snagged it immediately. Now I feel like a money-wasting whore.

Actually, that usually is the price I hear AO go for to a patient eBayer. Its the impatient ones that end up spending a whole lot more.

ain't no way that shit worth 200 bones dude

It's one of the best side scrollers ever made. A whole new level, a new boss along with new enemies...I can see why a collector would pay 200 for it. I've seen dudes fork over a lot more for a lot less. I take it you've played through it though as I haven't. So is the level just throwaway content they didn't deem worthy for the overseas release? Data Numen

Edit: Never mind, I saw The Coops post. Maybe I'll pass on it.

It's one of the best side scrollers ever made. A whole new level, a new boss along with new enemies...I can see why a collector would pay 200 for it. I've seen dudes fork over a lot more for a lot less. I take it you've played through it though as I haven't. So is the level just throwaway content they didn't deem worthy for the overseas release?

Edit: Never mind, I saw The Coops post. Maybe I'll pass on it.

Stick with the PS1 version, or grab the PSP collection. The Saturn version, despite how it SHOULD have been better in many ways, turned out worse in many ways. The new content was a nice touch, but it doesn't make up for the faults that the Saturn version became weighted down by.

Stick with the PS1 version, or grab the PSP collection. The Saturn version, despite how it SHOULD have been better in many ways, turned out worse in many ways. The new content was a nice touch, but it doesn't make up for the faults that the Saturn version became weighted down by.

Konami was/is notorious for lazy ports. The XBox version of Metal Gear Solid 2 should have also have been better from a tech standpoint compared to the PS2 version.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump.

So, is the opportunity to purchase both Night Striker S and Darius 2 for the Saturn within the 20-dollar range an opportunity I should jump on?

Darius 2 I'm struggling with, because I'm not sure if it'll be as good as Darius Gaiden, which is frickin' amazing.

Hey, for what it's worth, I just got a Sega Saturn as well. Straight from Japan, no less!

* 2 controllers

* SF Collection (alpha 2 + SSF2T / Grandmaster Challenge)

* Xmen vs. Street Fighter

* Memory card

* KOF 95

* Saturn Bomberman Fight! (the 3D one, not the 10 player one)

* Darkstalkers 2

* Virtua Fighter 2

* Christmas Nights

Sorry to bump.

So, is the opportunity to purchase both Night Striker S and Darius 2 for the Saturn within the 20-dollar range an opportunity I should jump on?

Darius 2 I'm struggling with, because I'm not sure if it'll be as good as Darius Gaiden, which is frickin' amazing.

Yes. Darius II, while not as good as Gaiden, is still a fun shmup. And Night Striker S is an enjoyable game that's a cross between flying and driving (you can do both). Each also has quite a bit of replay value, seeing as they both have multiple endings and plenty of stage paths to choose from.

Hey, for what it's worth, I just got a Sega Saturn as well. Straight from Japan, no less!

* 2 controllers

* SF Collection (alpha 2 + SSF2T / Grandmaster Challenge)

* Xmen vs. Street Fighter

* Memory card

* KOF 95

* Saturn Bomberman Fight! (the 3D one, not the 10 player one)

* Darkstalkers 2

* Virtua Fighter 2

* Christmas Nights

I still need to pick up more stuff or my Saturn. One of these days I'll hit Starland for some of that stuff. You need to get Fighters Megamix! :)

Alright, I bought the Darius 2 import for cheap, and am still on the fence about ANOTHER shooter, aka Night Striker S. It looks fun, but does it look 30 bucks fun?

I'm also keeping my eye on Shinobi Legends. I watched some of the cutscenes, and they are so hilarious that I have to get the game.