Fighting Games On and Offline

ShadowBlade

This one is for my fellow fighting game fans lol

Do you guys/girls prefer to play online or offline? Why?

Reason I'm wondering is, In SSFIV (and every other fighter) recently I've been playing more against the CPU on hardest difficulty than online people. Most all my friends hate fighting games as "it's just about pushing buttons".....poor misguided souls.

Online with these games it just seems like sportsmanship and respect for the other player is dead. People bailing on you in the middle of a match, sending you hate mail and in Marvel Vs Capcom 2, tea baggin' your character's unconscious body after trapping you in an infinite combo.

Anyway, curious to hear other people's opinions.

I much prefer playing offline, in person. The catch is that I can't do that with the vast majority of the people I play fighters with (mostly OCR folks).

You're never as disrespectful to your friends (though I plan on swearing at a few of them over the mic when MvC3 releases).

Indeed. Playing with another person sitting/standing beside you is best.

When I played Tekken 6 online.....some dude was swearing at me because apparently blocking counts as "cheating" lol

I'm going to talk in proper internet speech because this is an interesting topic that I've put some thought into.

The thing about competitive fighters online is that they allow people to use *every* advantage available to them, and one of those advantages is poor sportsmanship. In person and at tournaments and things like that, being a dick has consequences. It makes the person you're playing with like you less, and in turn all of the people around you. HOWEVER, it cannot be denied that getting under someone's skin and making them angry throws off their game. Everyone that plays games can recall at least one time where they got pissed and started making mistakes and poor decisions they normally wouldn't.

Online, getting under someone's skin is a huge part of the game. Taunting, using frowned upon tactics, and playing like a jerk has no consequence, because your opponent will likely never meet you, or possibly ever play with you again. But it still causes people to play poorly, which makes it a tool. I know that I try and win games by playing smart, but there have definitely been times where I've been a jerk, because it makes it easier to win. The simple act of taunting in SSF4 throws off so many people who play that taunting after a command throw is worth it; you'll get more openings that way, and they'll come attack you in ways that they shouldn't or wouldn't otherwise.

In short, because there is no social consequence for being a jerk online, it's a tool that cannot be overlooked. Does this make it acceptable? Not really. But it is unavoidable that most people will end up that way over time. The interesting exception to this rule is playing against people that you know or have planned to play against. In this setting people are usually polite, and when they're not it doesn't have the same effect it would in an anonymous setting.

In short, because there is no social consequence for being a jerk online, it's a tool that cannot be overlooked. Does this make it acceptable? Not really. But it is unavoidable that most people will end up that way over time. The interesting exception to this rule is playing against people that you know or have planned to play against. In this setting people are usually polite, and when they're not it doesn't have the same effect it would in an anonymous setting.

Your logic can't be denied, but I would be shocked to learn that any appreciable percentage of online dickheads do this to gain an advantage. I think it's a high for them to do things while having the knowledge that no one can do anything about it. Being faceless is a tonic to some.

When I meet these unavoidable people it makes me more depressed than angry, and their behavior (if being used as a tool) is completely counter-productive in my case as it pretty much ensures I'll never play with them again, or sometimes never play that game online again. Is winning the match worth shrinking the community? Of course I don't know how many respond the same way I do...

I play BlazBlue Continuum Shift online pretty heavily. It's on the PS3 so most people don't use mics, including myself. I have someone be a dick once in a blue moon (rage quitting, stupid messages after a loss) , but most of the matches go by without anything happening. I don't believe in "frowned upon tactics." If I can't handle someone's strategy, I deserve to lose. Anything else is whining over your own lack of skill. Sure, some characters have a competitive advantage, but don't blame a player for abusing it. Blame the developers.

I really enjoy online play with BBCS. Most of my friends aren't interested in going beyond scrub level play, so online play lets me have serious competition on tap whenever I feel like playing. It's enabled me to become a MUCH better fighting game player so that when real-life tournament time comes around, I'm not afraid to enter. The downside is that I can no longer have fun playing with most of my real-life friends except the one friend I have who is also a serious fighting game player.

Your logic can't be denied, but I would be shocked to learn that any appreciable percentage of online dickheads do this to gain an advantage. I think it's a high for them to do things while having the knowledge that no one can do anything about it. Being faceless is a tonic to some.

yes i understand the idea of anonymity causing this type of behavior but putting yourself above your opponent is a great source of confidence if you can do it and it makes the game more fun for you if you're winning

Playing offline with your buddy sitting next to you is the way to go IMHO.

While you will curse at each other, you always have a laugh and smile - you are having fun.

On the interwebs people are generally jerks or kids who cannot accept losing - always looking for some excuse, calling you cheater and whatnot just to feed their e-weiner... the thing with disrespectful people (short: dumbjacks, as I like to phrase it) is a problem since the beginning of mainstream online gaming --> the time when Counterstrike hit the mainstream gaming community - I think around version 1.2 or 1.3 - the time I quit plaiyng it because of them (being called cheater and hacker and getting kicked from servers regularly for doing legit headshots was not my imagination of online gaming.)

I rather have my fair share of nice people on a private server (or even better playing offline in person, or small LAN party or whatnot) and have a good time than letting my online gaming experience get spoiled by some dumbjacks who take things way too seriously.

cheers,

Luhny

Well the OP mentioned playing Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 online, and that's probably his biggest mistake. :-P

But seriously, online play is pretty much the only resource I have for playing against human opponents in fighters just because the friends I have here are either non-gamers, casual gamers, or bro gamers who would never deign to touch anything other than CoD. Whenever I do get a chance to play with friends here, it's like 1 or 2 matches tops.

It's funny though whenever I see people on different forums going on and on about hate mail. I must be doing something wrong 'cause I never get any. :-(

My best recourse for playing ANY sort of casual matches with a group of people is also with the OCR crew. I'd kill to be able to grab a RL buddy who's as into them as I am. I think my douche friends just don't like losing.

I prefer to play offline. It limits the people I can play with quite a bit (though most of the fighting games I play don't have the greatest online communities) but since I'm not really socializing with most of my opponents online I feel like I might as well just play against the computer.

Lag, trash talk, whining, and trolling are all expected in every online experience. Honestly, if I spend more than 10 matches in any online without any of the above I'm fairly confused. In that time I also expect at least one match with someone who appears to have a radically different skill level because matchmaking systems tend to screw up from time to time. But hey, I have good games and bad games too.

I am glad that I've only had one experience with people sexting on the linkshell (Guild for everybody that plays other MMOs).

I haven't heard very much about Continuum Shift, how much of an improvement is it?

Indeed. Playing with another person sitting/standing beside you is best.

Online: if it's with nearby friends or far-away friends that I know pretty well and aren't traumatized by the outcome.

Offline: When I want to "challenge" myself (yeah, you'd think the computer would get old but some people just ALWAYS use the same combos).

I haven't heard very much about Continuum Shift, how much of an improvement is it?

Balance is completely redone, and the tiers are shaken up. Tiers more compressed than BBCT, which is good. Basic mechanics are largely the same. Nu-13 is gone forever, which is probably for the best -- she's replaced by a Lambda-11, only a shadow of her former self (Nu comes back as Lambda's unlimited, to give you an idea).

The new chars (Terumi, Tsubaki, Mu-12, Makoto, Valkenhayn) fit into the world well -- imo BBCS's biggest problem is that they did not give us Jubei. :P

I'm going to talk in proper internet speech because this is an interesting topic that I've put some thought into.

The thing about competitive fighters online is that they allow people to use *every* advantage available to them, and one of those advantages is poor sportsmanship. In person and at tournaments and things like that, being a dick has consequences. It makes the person you're playing with like you less, and in turn all of the people around you. HOWEVER, it cannot be denied that getting under someone's skin and making them angry throws off their game. Everyone that plays games can recall at least one time where they got pissed and started making mistakes and poor decisions they normally wouldn't.

Online, getting under someone's skin is a huge part of the game. Taunting, using frowned upon tactics, and playing like a jerk has no consequence, because your opponent will likely never meet you, or possibly ever play with you again. But it still causes people to play poorly, which makes it a tool. I know that I try and win games by playing smart, but there have definitely been times where I've been a jerk, because it makes it easier to win. The simple act of taunting in SSF4 throws off so many people who play that taunting after a command throw is worth it; you'll get more openings that way, and they'll come attack you in ways that they shouldn't or wouldn't otherwise.

To comment more on this, it has a flip side to it as well - it can motivate people to think sharper to defeat the jackasses. I know that more than one occasion I have done so back when I played a lot of WC3, and almost always succeeded.

It all depends on the person they're facing. Most people aren't like that I know, but it's something to keep in mind.

"Scrubs" or anyone that "cheeses" or whatever serve the purpose of plugging up any small holes in your game so that you play better and thus feel better about your playing.

It's also funny how taunting has gotten to me in the past. Amazing that.

Lol @ scrubs who just pick Ryu, Ken or Sagat and just spam fireballs hoping that you'll jump and they can nail you with an uppercut. The jokes on them though, they wind up taking a Chun Li flip kick to the face!

I' love it when people go bananas over taunting.

Like I was playing some Ken player, he got me good the first round but I unleashed the beast on the last two.....I taunted and Chun says "Your skills just aren't good enough" lmao. A SECOND later he disconnected on me.

Balance is completely redone, and the tiers are shaken up. Tiers more compressed than BBCT, which is good. Basic mechanics are largely the same. Nu-13 is gone forever, which is probably for the best -- she's replaced by a Lambda-11, only a shadow of her former self (Nu comes back as Lambda's unlimited, to give you an idea).

The new chars (Terumi, Tsubaki, Mu-12, Makoto, Valkenhayn) fit into the world well -- imo BBCS's biggest problem is that they did not give us Jubei. :P

I am glad that they worked on the balance, and the basic mechanics were fairly similar to GGXX:AC - which I play a lot more of. I just played against people that mained Nu-13, so I fully support any and all nerfs/removals.

Some of the new characters look interesting, but I think I enjoyed Litchi and Hakumen enough to stick with them. I might get back into it when CS2 hits.