Silent Hill - Room 312

No Escape

Hey guys it's been a while since I lurked around the site, but I'm going to try to spend a little more time here. This is a... actually I don't even know what genre it falls under rendition of Room 312. Basically I'm just looking for some feedback on the overall feel of the track and perhaps a little advice as to where the track should go. I want it to hit 3 min or so and I'm only half-way there, so any ideas would be cool. Thanks guys!

stats.png

Here's the original (there is no good quality one, I swear to god)

• 3 weeks later...

Ah... Hello N.E. I have also been absent from OCR. (blame the GF) But it's good to see a familiar face. Lets see whatchaweegotshere?! >:-P

Well first off, the old standard of me picking on your drum track. It's not human and it doesn't sound human. Consider accents and instrument changes (to a splash cymbal) to give variety. Instead of 32nd notes.

These new headphones make the highs pretty bright, not thru the mandatory 100 hour burn in period. But see if the hats in your drum kit don't come off as needing a little bit of high end EQ reduction to someone else. (I hit Blue Magic with some high end offending freqs a bit ago. I might just have an ear for harsh high ends, who knows :-P)

Also, it's the same drum riff thru the whole thing. You'll have to change it up. You'd be amazed what just the simplest of changes in the drum track do for the whole piece. Give it a shot.

(insert mandatory ONLY 2 MINS LONG WTF remark here)

(insert mandatory -cop out- ending remark here)

The piano sounds fairly mechanical. Should meybe give some dynamics or embellishments to make it flow in a more human way (or to follow the scape a bit)

I wanna hear more life in your pad sounds. As of now, they fill the space with good sustained notes, but they bore me. Consider a softer attack so there's some space in there. (I find this odd cause... I just told Blue Magic that his panning and volume on his pads left the sound too open. Find the happy middle ground! do ett! DO ETT NAO!)

The guitar sound is top notch. I can think of no crits there. Cept you don't have a super SHREDDING SOLO YET?! :-( GET ON THAT! You're close, but I want me some bwahwiddleywahwiddlewahwahwahwahwiddleywiddleywiddleywahwahwahahahah!

Not awful by any means, but it'd be nice to hear this fleshed out some more. If you're really looking for a direction to take this, my first thoughts always seem to center on rhythm. It to me is the fundamental 'lay down the law' or any track. Give this a break. At the end of a phrase, break into something new, half time, slow relaxed, less frantic section. Change keys, do some writing, use an idea you've had on the back burner in another project. Just look for 8s and 16s in the track, cause that's where it'll go. Then play with it. MAKE ETT HAPPON!

Hey, just listened.

I think it's important that you should be asking yourself what you are going for.

Are you going for a distinctive sound... The drums are very electronic, but the guitar has a more rock quality. The piano is obviously a nice reference to Silent Hill 2, but I think together these elements just don't gel.

In reference to what you probably want a Silent Hill remix to sound like, go for more atmospheric pads, and you can mellow out that piano a bit with the writing, right now it's just a very flat way to carry that melody.

Your guitar is very nice. (the later guitar, the riff that repeats I think has some timing issues)...

I don't really know how else to comment until I hear more, but for now, work on making the piece more cohesive as a whole that = more than the sum of its parts.

Also and I'd probably focus on a more rockish kit to emphasize that guitar, or a more Silent Hill electronic (trip hop, industrial) kit for atmosphere, whichever works for what you're going for.

• 2 months later...

So...it took me a while to realize that anyone even replied to the thread.... thanks E-mail notification lol. I have been working on a a much more finalized version of the track that's more than 3 and a half minutes long and includes a flamenco guitar solo, so look forward to it as soon as I work out my dodgy drum sampling. And Steve...nice critique as always. You have a good ear for this stuff and it's a total bummer that the Flying Dragon project kinda died...