Mojo horn section track

KeysersozeH

Hello people. 1st i hope you all are having a good day!

http://www.nfftrax.nl/trax/-1244807658-noneu2.mp3

Second I'd like to have some feedback on the mix as wel as the arrangements of the above song. All the things that are that come to mind that are wrong.

Especially the mix in the low frequencies, how would you have done this?

Im not a musician so also wrong chords or impossible note / chord combination that you hear would be great have mentioned to.

Lot of atonality going on here. Lots of incorrect notes as well. I don't really know where to begin, but I like the song. Sounds sort of Smash brothers-y.

Thank you very much for your constructive reply!

I have no musical background so i looked "atonality" up. It means theres no root note for this song, and i dont think thats a very big problem at the moment. Right? If it is, is it possible for you to explain to me why?

For the incorrect notes, you mentioned there are a lot. Can you give me the 1st only, i can try to figure out the what and why and work my way up from there. Then ill repost.

Thanks again erineclipse!

Thank you very much for your constructive reply!

I have no musical background so i looked "atonality" up. It means theres no root note for this song, and i dont think thats a very big problem at the moment. Right? If it is, is it possible for you to explain to me why?

For the incorrect notes, you mentioned there are a lot. Can you give me the 1st only, i can try to figure out the what and why and work my way up from there. Then ill repost.

Thanks again erineclipse!

I'm not really a professional, so I couldn't give the exact notes, especially since I don't have access to the source, only educated guesses. But I can sense that some of the notes, especially the wind instruments, are off key. Basically, the sound is good, its just you haven't unleashed their full potential. The beginning sounds good but with some rearrangement of notes (mostly just adjusting their vertical positions) it would sound more professional. Again, I'm not a professional though.

It means theres no root note for this song,

Actually, sorry to correct you, but atonal means that there's no key (and by extension, no tonic).

In this case, I'm afraid erineclipse is mistaken about the piece being atonal. This tune sounds like it's in Ab major, which means that it can't be atonal.

For the incorrect notes, you mentioned there are a lot.

From what I heard, there are no incorrect notes. It's a jazzy progression, but all of the notes "worked", harmonically-speaking, at least to my ears. I think erineclipse may have been thrown off by the extended chords.

However, I'll add a disclaimer to my previous statement by saying that I am not a theory major, and I also have trouble with 13th chords. By that I mean, I can't always discern where the root is supposed to be. For instance, for the 13th chord at 0:11/0:12, you have an Eb in the bass, but for some reason, doesn't sound 100% correct, even though Eb is part of the chord, and could conceivably be the root. I'm guessing it has to do with voice leading.

We need someone really experienced with 13th chords to come in and give their opinion.

Hmm.. sounds realy interesting *-*

I Agree with solaphar that the Track has no atonal parts at all. But its also a matter of habituation of the ear. Just like when you first hear a sus-chord going over to a majorminor chord.

But i would like to recommend you changing from tambourine to a variety of Hi-Hats. And The snare rim sounds like it has to much reverb.

Actually, sorry to correct you, but atonal means that there's no key (and by extension, no tonic).

In this case, I'm afraid erineclipse is mistaken about the piece being atonal. This tune sounds like it's in Ab major, which means that it can't be atonal.

From what I heard, there are no incorrect notes. It's a jazzy progression, but all of the notes "worked", harmonically-speaking, at least to my ears. I think erineclipse may have been thrown off by the extended chords.

However, I'll add a disclaimer to my previous statement by saying that I am not a theory major, and I also have trouble with 13th chords. By that I mean, I can't always discern where the root is supposed to be. For instance, for the 13th chord at 0:11/0:12, you have an Eb in the bass, but for some reason, doesn't sound 100% correct, even though Eb is part of the chord, and could conceivably be the root. I'm guessing it has to do with voice leading.

We need someone really experienced with 13th chords to come in and give their opinion.

Thank you very much for the consructive detailed feedback Solaphar. I do everything by ear, but i know that when it comes to low notes, i sometimes think the note fits the chord, when it does not.

So to see if i can help you out to help me, i opened my pianoroll.

the 1st short chord at 00:10 chord contains: g#5 d#6 a#5 c5 and a g#3 in the base,

Fl studio says this is a g# major

at this point the bass is playing the g#3 note

the second longer chord at 00:12 contains: g#6 d#6 c6 a#5 f5 and a g#3 in the base

Fl studio says this is a d# major

at this point the bass is playing the d#4 note

Thanks, appreciated a lot!

Hmm.. sounds realy interesting *-*

I Agree with solaphar that the Track has no atonal parts at all. But its also a matter of habituation of the ear. Just like when you first hear a sus-chord going over to a majorminor chord.

But i would like to recommend you changing from tambourine to a variety of Hi-Hats. And The snare rim sounds like it has to much reverb.

I was thinking, somehow ive seen your name before then i remembered i posted a golden axe rendition 2 years ago :Dhttp://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23418

Yes thank you. Im still working on the drums. I'd like a more "modern" sounding kick, and i agree with you on the rim shot. I tried to get a michael jackson like swing with the tambourine.. and yes a variety of hi-hats could be very welcome.

Ill re-post a new version soon. Thank you very very much!

I'm not really a professional, so I couldn't give the exact notes, especially since I don't have access to the source, only educated guesses. But I can sense that some of the notes, especially the wind instruments, are off key. Basically, the sound is good, its just you haven't unleashed their full potential. The beginning sounds good but with some rearrangement of notes (mostly just adjusting their vertical positions) it would sound more professional. Again, I'm not a professional though.

This might be the voicing of the chords, i didnt pay alot atention to that.

As for woodwinds. I know for a fact the brass play the same notes as in the electric piano chords, but i somehow agree with you, it doesnt sound good to me... not only the voicing but also the lenghts in certain segments. Maybe i shouldn't let the brass play as big a chords as they are played with the electrical piano (sorry for my english).

Thank you for your time, appreciated!

Thank you very much for the consructive detailed feedback Solaphar. I do everything by ear, but i know that when it comes to low notes, i sometimes think the note fits the chord, when it does not.

So to see if i can help you out to help me, i opened my pianoroll.

the 1st short chord at 00:10 chord contains: g#5 d#6 a#5 c5 and a g#3 in the base,

Fl studio says this is a g# major

at this point the bass is playing the g#3 note

the second longer chord at 00:12 contains: g#6 d#6 c6 a#5 f5 and a g#3 in the base

Fl studio says this is a d# major

at this point the bass is playing the d#4 note

Thanks, appreciated a lot!

I was thinking, somehow ive seen your name before then i remembered i posted a golden axe rendition 2 years ago :Dhttp://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23418

Yes thank you. Im still working on the drums. I'd like a more "modern" sounding kick, and i agree with you on the rim shot. I tried to get a michael jackson like swing with the tambourine.. and yes a variety of hi-hats could be very welcome.

Ill re-post a new version soon. Thank you very very much!

This might be the voicing of the chords, i didnt pay alot atention to that.

As for woodwinds. I know for a fact the brass play the same notes as in the electric piano chords, but i somehow agree with you, it doesnt sound good to me... not only the voicing but also the lenghts in certain segments. Maybe i shouldn't let the brass play as big a chords as they are played with the electrical piano (sorry for my english).

Thank you for your time, appreciated!

Could be the timbre as well.