OCR02327 - *YES* Minecraft 'Squishy's Theme'

The Orichalcon

I'm assuming we're still allowed to post direct to the panel? If not, let me know and I'll submit it via email.

Artist: The Orichalcon

Game: Minecraft

Source: Piano3.ogg

Old version:

New Version:

Sorry, mediafire :(

My remix is based more on the old version than the new version. The theme is still the same, but the remix is more true to the original. The name comes from episode 50 of Coe's Quest on Youtube, named "Squishy".

The mix isn't too long, since the source wasn't too long and I got what I wanted done in the 2 and a half minutes. It's just a bouncy, bubbly, happy and energetic remix intended to lift your mood when you listen.

• 2 months later...

I'm not hearing much of a connection to the newer theme, but it follows the old version a lot better. I really like the upbeat piano and synth treatment of this, and gives me a sortof Yuki Kajiura/Ziwtra feeling that is super great. Nice and upbeat, it takes the nostalgic sound of the original and makes it way peppy. The added drums work well, with a lot of sonic variety, and the synths are solid. The piano keeps the melody intact, while the rest of the song molds to a new shape.

The piano sequencing is a little bit mechanical, especially compared to the super nuanced original, but it fits the style so well I can't really knock it.

Pretty easy pass, and now i've been listening to both this and the original all afternoon. :-)

Yes

Definitely had a fun time listening to this, despite also having a surprisingly difficult time wrapping my brain around the source at times (I blame being tired). Makes more sense now, and I love how you've made the source very upbeat. As Andrew said, the mechanical treatment of the lead was stylistic, and certainly works for the track.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

piano and snare were slightly hot on the highs, and the bass could have been more prominent. the arrangement is as you say, light and bubbly, with a ton of personalization. I love the blend of synths and bells, it'd fit right in with the Kaleidoscope soundtrack. ;)

nice stuff, probably my favorite of yours. :)

YES

Super clean and balanced production, you did an awesome job on that end of it, Lee. The arrangement isn't a reinvention or anything, but the new instruments tastefully complement the original piano. Though the piano notes were very even, it fit the measured electronic nature of the track and I'm not sure a more humanized approach would have added. I was really disappointed this ended at 2:26, I think an original section bringing in some minor chords and ramping up the intensity a little would have been excellent, though might not fit the happy bubbly you intended. I really enjoyed this anyway - it's my new favorite of yours too.

YES AS BIG AS I CAN MAKE IT