Zelda 2 - Palace (House Remix)

Mekamodo

I've been working on this fidget electro house remix of the palace music from Zelda 2 for a while now, so I thought I'd post up what I've made so far and see what people think:

http://soundcloud.com/mekamodo/zelda-2-palace-mekamodo-remix-wip/s-uOAqo

It's still a work in progress so all feedback is welcome - I want to try and make this my best remix ever.

First of all, I love that beat. Absolutely amazing. What I think this mix needs is to be more shaped. I don't feel enough of a line going on, it could use more dynamics to make it more interesting - it seems to drag at various points. Overall, I like this mix, and with a bit more polish and focus on dynamics, I believe it could be positively wonderful.

Thanks. Yeah I've been trying to create that beat for ages. As is always the case it turned out to be really simple once I'd worked out exactly where each kick and snare goes.

So by changing the dynamics, do you mean adding more elements to increase the variety of the sections where it drags? Or messing around with the existing elements more?

By dynamics, I mean having more noticeable breakdowns/climaxes, to make it more dynamic and interesting. Right now, the beginning is pretty calm but it doesn't let up. Adding more elements would be cool(as would slightly increasing the volume of the main synth), but right now, the main problem I have with this mix is that it doesn't really change much in the way of dynamics.

Thanks. Yeah, I chopped up the original loop in a slicer - and it sounded pretty electro so I was pleased with that. I also added another oscillator to the dubstep style main lead and changed the EQing to give it more presence in the mix without interfering with the mid bass too much.

I did try and do more modulation of the mid bass but every setting I messed with didn't make it sound any better - so I guess I need to learn more about using that synth first before trying anything too fancy.

I think I may have to call it a day now on this tune, as after 59 versions I am a little tired of working on it! So I think I may make this the final version.

Besides I have a System Shock 2 remix and a Panzer Dragoon Zwei remix that have been sitting on my computer waiting to be finished for several months now - best get back to work on them next I think.