Golden Axe - Old Map

rebelnyell

Here is my first remixes, it is the Old Map song from Golden Axe; source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB0-g6s1Ceo.

Here it is: http://soundcloud.com/mdmmusic/old-map

I know that it isn't that great compared to most of the stuff posted here so I would appreciate any form of comments/criticism just so I can improve. Thanks.

Welcome to the ReMixing world sir or madam.

Don't beat yourself up, it's your first remix. My stuff is absolute crap in comparison to everything on here but that doesn't stop me from shamelessly promoting it in the forums.

Anyway, I thought it was alright but you should increase the volume on the percussion slightly. The song is also VERY repetitive and gets boring fast. I'd also kill that repetitive wind effect. It goes on waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy tooo loooonnnnggg and the wind sounds awful to be honest. More bass and maybe some chords on strings or something would really add to it.

Keep on rockin'

Welcome to the ReMixing world sir or madam.

Don't beat yourself up, it's your first remix. My stuff is absolute crap in comparison to everything on here but that doesn't stop me from shamelessly promoting it in the forums.

Anyway, I thought it was alright but you should increase the volume on the percussion slightly. The song is also VERY repetitive and gets boring fast. I'd also kill that repetitive wind effect. It goes on waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy tooo loooonnnnggg and the wind sounds awful to be honest. More bass and maybe some chords on strings or something would really add to it.

Keep on rockin'

Thanks for the comments. I've already started revising things, well actually starting things off from a clean slate taking your suggestions into consideration and it already sounds better. I'll post it when it starts to develop more.

Thanks for the comments. I've already started revising things, well actually starting things off from a clean slate taking your suggestions into consideration and it already sounds better. I'll post it when it starts to develop more.

I look forward to hearing it! By the way, are you a Billy Idol fan?

I look forward to hearing it! By the way, are you a Billy Idol fan?

Here is what I've got so far with the new version: http://soundcloud.com/mdmmusic/old-map-v-2

I feel its an improvement from before but obviously still needs some work. I decided to stop so far because I'm having trouble choosing an instrument/effect that would be good and fitting with the vibe to overlay on the drum part at the end. Also I have a question for anyone that does develop/remix songs. How do most of you start out or begin your work and then progress? For example do you guys take things in a linear progression with the song or do you jump around basically working with sections slowly piecing things together, etc. What is the best way to "plan things out."

Anyways yeah I enjoy Billy Idol. I'm assuming you're asked considering my username lol. Really though it is derived from a Rage Against the Machine line.

When I make remixes I usually start with the nuts and bolts, then the arrangement, and from there flesh it out more, ending with the mastering. That's just me, though, and I'm by no means the best person here. At the end, you should probably add an original melody. It felt like something more drawn out and legato would be good for that. The source is sparse, which gives you time to do stuff to make it unique and flavorful! Have fun with it!

Here is what I've got so far with the new version: http://soundcloud.com/mdmmusic/old-map-v-2

I feel its an improvement from before but obviously still needs some work. I decided to stop so far because I'm having trouble choosing an instrument/effect that would be good and fitting with the vibe to overlay on the drum part at the end. Also I have a question for anyone that does develop/remix songs. How do most of you start out or begin your work and then progress? For example do you guys take things in a linear progression with the song or do you jump around basically working with sections slowly piecing things together, etc. What is the best way to "plan things out."

Anyways yeah I enjoy Billy Idol. I'm assuming you're asked considering my username lol. Really though it is derived from a Rage Against the Machine line.

It's starting to sound better already In my opinion.

As for remixing and the way of doing things. No two people do it the same.

I generally just punch in all the notes of the song to FL Studio and then pick new tones and listen to it. From there, I decide what parts I wanna change up. Switch out the old harmony for a totally new one. Change the order of certain parts, add in guitar solos, new melodies or a new rhythm etc.

If you check out my Chun Li ReMix. I changed the Rhythm ENTIRELY. I made the chord progression of the song into a "full on" trance type thing. I kept the main melody of the song the same. Then, I added in completely new melodies and rhythms, though I kept small phrases from the main melody the same so the listener wouldn't get lost in the original parts. Also I made the original parts flow into the source material parts by using the first note of the main melody at the end of the last bar of the phrase. I also used parts of the main melody to create an intro/break.

You know what, that's really confusing.......just go here you'll see what I mean.

What you can do is endless really