Final Fantasy XIII..... 2?

Fishy

This was announced/reported a couple of days ago. I, for one, am kind of optimistic with it.

FFXIII had its problems. The whole game consisted of one long corridor. Then you get to the closest thing to an overworld and realize you can't handle most of the monsters there because it's the post-game section. Then you either give up or press onward depending on how invested you are in the story. Then you beat the game, realize that the post-game stuff is a waste of time, and give up. Additionally, it's story, while interesting and better than several other FF games, was told VERY poorly. It started like an hour into the storyline with absolutely no basis for anything. FFX kind of did this, but it was different because there, you, like Tidus, were experiencing this new world for the first time. Here, all of the characters clearly are in on something that the player doesn't know or understand, and it shouldn't take 20-25 hours of gameplay to get into the story.

All of that said, FFXIII did have potential, which is why I'm optimistic for a XIII-2. Opinions are pretty much split down the middle on the battle system, but I'll admit that once I figured it out, I generally liked it. It's not as intuitive as FFI-VII, IX, and X, but it worked well.

Here, in my opinion, are the things they need to do to make XIII-2 good:

(1) Retain the battle system, perhaps with some refinements

(2) Take that giant map area and make it a bit bigger. Then label it "overworld." Then scatter some towns, castles, dungeons, temples, etc. around it

(3) Simplify the story and gradually layer on complexity. Don't put players into a world that requires reading the freaking in-game encyclopedia to understand.

(4) Kill Hope.

Originally Posted by digitalspy

Director Motomu Toriyama has said that fans have been asking for a follow-up, which is set to address the complaints of the original game.

As opposed to say a free, not 60 dollar patch. But then again it is really hard to patch everything about the game.

Also all three fans have been asking for a follow up.

All of that said, FFXIII did have potential, which is why I'm optimistic for a XIII-2. Opinions are pretty much split down the middle on the battle system, but I'll admit that once I figured it out, I generally liked it. It's not as intuitive

More or less this. If FFXIII-2 is kinda like Assassin's Creed II was to the first one then I'm all for it.

More or less this. If FFXIII-2 is kinda like Assassin's Creed II was to the first one then I'm all for it.

1. Remove annoying features.

2. Add some new annoying features, but generally flesh out the concept to flow better.

3. Replace main character with more promiscuous and mouthy clone.

4. Aliens

5. ????

6. Profit

Although just steps 5 and 6 on their own seems to be Squeenix's modus operandi lately.

Anyone noticing the part where it's been mentioned they're apparently releasing it this year? Quoted from Kotaku -

"The game won't have the wait that Final Fantasy XIII did. According to Square Enix, it will be released in 2011."
So ..that must mean it's been in development alongside FFXIII-1 then? And ...that could mean it could possibly contain the same problems that Part 1 did? Or i could be wrong.

Just an observation and some speculation.

Also, I have to admit that Versus XIII looks interesting if only because the setting seems so 'original' for a Final Fantasy.

More likely than not it'll reuse similar assets as well as probably be made up of all those assets and content that Toriyama says were allegedly scrapped from the original.

The idea that these assets exist lead me to believe that the original game was intended to be less linear than it was at its completion.

Also, the game has sold close to 6 million copies since after 2 months of its western release. Even more interesting is that for all the vitriol being tossed around, there's still an even greater amount of people who thought it was excellent.

Also, I have to admit that Versus XIII looks interesting if only because the setting seems so 'original' for a Final Fantasy.

It really looks like a knock-off of Kingdom Hearts in terms of combat system. Which may or may not be good--I enjoyed the KH fighting system, so perhaps they refined it.

GOD they need to insert some color into that game. And whoever designed the character outfits needs to be shot; they are the most uninspired shit I've seen in a long while. Black on black with a Cinema Snob sport's jacket does not a hero make.

More likely than not it'll reuse similar assets as well as probably be made up of all those assets and content that Toriyama says were allegedly scrapped from the original.

The idea that these assets exist lead me to believe that the original game was intended to be less linear than it was at its completion.

Also, the game has sold close to 6 million copies since after 2 months of its western release. Even more interesting is that for all the vitriol being tossed around, there's still an even greater amount of people who thought it was excellent.

Guess how many of those copies were returned? Japan was literally FLOODED with returns after the initial purchase, bringing the game's NEW price down after probably a month, and selling at a USED price so low that it was mind numbing.

I'd like to see you find these people that "thought it was excellent". I guaran-fucking-tee you I can find more that hated it.

Guess how many of those copies were returned? Japan was literally FLOODED with returns after the initial purchase, bringing the game's NEW price down after probably a month, and selling at a USED price so low that it was mind numbing.

I'd like to see you find these people that "thought it was excellent". I guaran-fucking-tee you I can find more that hated it.

I'm sure you can pull out as many numbers as you need to, but making a "might makes right" argument wasn't what I was trying to do here.

My point was that for a game that was "critically panned"(I think Edge was the only one that gave it a scathing review), the lowest point in the FF series and a game that everyone hated, there's a surprisingly high number of people that enjoyed the game and thought it was great. Just read the comments pages or threads on different games coverage sites like 1up or (amazingly enough)Kotaku.

As for the sales, 6 million is a huge number so naturally you're going to cast a wider net for reactions, but even if a quarter of that figure resold the game or didn't like it(which are 2 different things entirely), that's still close to 4 million people who might have enjoyed it.