3DS: Friend Codes on First Page, OMG THE THIRD DIMENSION

The Damned

Well that settles it. Not only is waiting for the 3DS Lite the smarter, more cost-effective thing to do. I now have no games to tempt me to waiver from my intelligence. No Paper Mario, OoT, or any big first-party game at launch? No problem. Time to sit back and wait for the only system any sane person would purchase.

Well that settles it. Not only is waiting for the 3DS Lite the smarter, more cost-effective thing to do. I now have no games to tempt me to waiver from my intelligence. No Paper Mario, OoT, or any big first-party game at launch? No problem. Time to sit back and wait for the only system any sane person would purchase.

I mostly agree with you. I wouldn't go so far as to say any person that purchases a 3DS "insane" but "impatient" might be a better word. It's going to be at least a year before a 3DS lite could be released to market, maybe 2 in america. It's not like they are going to drop the price any time soon if the wii is any indication.

I'm not getting a 3DS at launch, but I would like to, even though the launch lineup doesn't interest me. It's quite reasonable to wait this one out, maybe black Friday this year will have some good deals. I don't fully understand people who are waiting because of the price. Are they going to buy a "fat" 3DS when the redesign comes out? the new "lite" 3DS will still be $250 when it comes out, I'm sure.

http://www.next-gen.biz/news/nintendo-explains-3ds-battery-life

“When I measured [battery life] by playing several Nintendo games, with the backlight set to the brightest level and the power save mode turned off, battery duration was about three hours,” he adds. “But if you use the power save mode under the same conditions, it gets about 10-20% longer. And if you set the backlight to the darkest setting, the battery lasts five hours, but the power save mode makes less of a difference then.”

Umezu also explains that battery life can be increased by turning down the 3D “volume” slider, with battery life extended by up to 25 per cent by playing in 2D.

So, if you combine these two settings, you should be able to get just short of 50% more battery life.

Now, the interesting thing is that he said "maximum brightness", so if you drop the brightness, it should be even longer, as the light uses up the most power. This would lend a lot of credibility to the argument that lowest settings should be able to exceed the quoted 5 hours.

If that's true, then I wonder how long it would last with the lowest settings. It might actually be a lot more.

I mostly agree with you. I wouldn't go so far as to say any person that purchases a 3DS "insane" but "impatient" might be a better word. It's going to be at least a year before a 3DS lite could be released to market, maybe 2 in america. It's not like they are going to drop the price any time soon if the wii is any indication.

Aw, but I like to exaggerate. Calling someone impatient doesn't elicit as much reaction as calling them insane. :<

Nah, you're pretty much correct. I imagine it'll be a year or two before the 3DS Lite shows up. But when it does, paying $250 for it seems acceptable to me.

I just finished reading the Iwata Asks article on the 3DS hardware (right here) and it looks like they have no plans to make a 3DS lite. check it:

Sugino: When you changed your approach and got rid of all gaps, Nintendo DS Lite was born. I think that experience can be seen in Nintendo 3DS.

Iwata: The first thing (Nobuo) Nagai-san10, who's in charge at the Uji plant, said to me when he looked over the designs for Nintendo 3DS before mass production began was "This time it's fully packed right from the start."

Sugino: Oh, really? (laughs) But he was right. That's why we don't have any short-term plans for creating a more compact version of Nintendo 3DS like we did with Nintendo DS Lite. (laughs)

Iwata: Yeah. (laughs) When making Nintendo 3DS, we used all our tricks for Nintendo DS Lite—and more—for cutting down on size right from the start.

They talk a little bit more about it, but from what I got, they start work on the next model of a system before the first one is even released. They mentioned how they started work very early on the DS Lite, but that they don't feel it's going to be possible to make a 3DS lite until the technology becomes smaller and cheaper, which probably won't be for a few years.

So if you're holding out for the 3DS lite, you may want to think again.

Hopefully the 3DS Lite release will coincide with the existence of a decent 3DS library. That's when I'll get the original at a discounted price. $250 is steep enough with a good launch library, but it's way too much when there won't even be anything that I'd play for more than aesthetic reasons.

if you're holding out for the 3DS lite, you may want to think again.

I don't believe them. Not by a longshot! Of course they're going to say they have no short term plans. They have to. If the opposite was true, do you think they'd be stupid enough to tell that to the public? No freaking way. They'd be cutting off their launch system sales right at the knees! That's just basic business sense.

Just watch. In a couple of years, the technology will "unexpectedly" improve and become cheaper. Boom, 3DS Lite. I'm inclined to trust history's record of handheld consoles before I trust Mr. Iwata and friends. They've got systems to sell. Honesty doesn't make them a profit.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think the DS was ever region-locked, only DSi-specific software was. Now, some DS games do use DSi features, like the camera, but they aren't required to use them.

As for 3DS playing DS games being region-locked... I have no idea. All DS games are region-free, and the 3DS is fully backward compatible, so it would make sense that it wouldn't do region-locking on region-free games.

I guess we'll have to wait until it comes out to see.

Man, Nintendo should have this sort of thing explained by now.

oh no I can't import shitty japanese rpgs three months ahead of their english release oh no whatever will I do oh no

I know it's not 3DS, but I'm much more pissed that the sequels to Hotel Dusk and Trace memory are Japan and Europe only.

THAT type of region lock sucks lots of dick.

For real? If that's true, I'm so getting my british co-worker to buy it for me. Can anyone confirm this? I loved the original to bits.

Asking a few friends, they confirmed that the DS is in fact not region-locked- it will play out-of-region games.

Still sucks for Trace Memory though.

Anyone remember that Dead or Alive clip that had them fighting in a pit with Ridley flying around, and then at the end, Samus pops out in her morphball mode and then it fades to white?

Sorry guys.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-24-samus-not-playable-in-dead-or-alive-3ds

It would have been cool, but I guess Samus only throws down in Smash Bros.

I contest that she probably would have started a monologue and or cried about her maternal/daddy issues again...