3DS: Friend Codes on First Page, OMG THE THIRD DIMENSION

The Damned

I'm still not convinced on Street Fighter. At all.

I have Super Street Fighter 2 for genesis, and tried playing it again, and it just seems like a so-so fighter. I found it kinda frustrating getting any special moves (aside from HADOKEN and HYUPCHYUPCHYUPCHUN) to work and I don't really see the longevity of the series. True, I was playing by myself, so maybe it's much more fun in multi player, but I'd still need convincing before I buy it.

However, prospect of online OCR matches is very appealing...

I bought Hotel Dusk as well. I was only somewhat interested in it until it got a 10 in EGM. Hotel Dusk is awesome, I would import the sequel from Europe but last i checked it was like $70. All DS games are region free by the way. I own just as many japanese DS games as North American ones, I never noticed this until recently. It makes me super curious to know if I can still play my import games when I upgrade to the 3DS, or if I will just end up staring at their boxes.

I was thinking about something recently, my brother is trying to sell his DSlite on craigslist. I would think in the future the DSlite will be "the" iteration of the DS to have. It's got the GBA slot, and there's no firmware to lockout piracy and whatnot. I'm pretty ignorant about piracy and homebrew on the DS, but I'm assuming it's locked out on the DSi, if you updated at least.

Apparently, someone on NeoGAF pointed out that Gamestop has done a massive update on release dates for 3DS titles, specifically those for the launch. Here's what we have:

- Pilotwings: Resort

- Steel Diver

- Nintendogs + cats: French Bulldog & Friends

- Nintendogs + cats: Golden Retriever & Friends

- Nintendogs + cats: Toy Poodle & Friends

- Pro Evolution Soccer 2011

- Madden NFL Football

- The Sims 3

- LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars

- Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition

- Super Monkey Ball 3D

- Samurai Warriors: Chronicle

- Bust-A-Move Universe (Budget Price: $29.99)

- Rayman 3D

- Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D

- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars

- Asphalt GT: Nitro Racing

- Ridge Racer 3D

This seems very likely to be the final launch day lineup. Source: http://kotaku.com/#!5767057/the-games-you-can-absolutely-buy-the-day-the-3ds-goes-on-sale

Also of note: Nintendo of America confirmed that The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, Star Fox 64 3D, Kid Icarus: Uprising, & Mario Kart 3D will be out in North America before the end of 2011.

So late Summer to early Winter.

Awesome. I guess this gives me more reason to wait on a 3DS. I'll let you early-adopters find out all the things about it first, and then once the games start coming in, I'll see about it.

Also, if you got a Japanese 3DS, for the love of god, please do some battery tests with lowest settings (brightness, wifi off, 3D off, etc.) so we can put the battery life issue to rest once and for all. People are still asking about it and Nintendo hasn't really put out a solid, undeniable statement that shuts the whole argument up.

I'm going to buy one when it launches because contrary to popular belief it isn't going to get any cheaper or any more plentiful in the coming months

better to have one with nothing to play on it than to go buy one when Zelda comes out only to find oh they are all gone forever

I mean seriously did people not learn from buying Wiis you know those things that were almost impossible to ever find for the first two years of release

Sweet, thanks! Now I'm really curious about this:

Nintendo-3DS-Unboxing-81.jpg

Can anyone translate this? I really want to know what game modes are available in SSFIV 3DS and I can't find a listing anywhere.

Arcade

Versus

3D Versus

Internet (Can't read the Kanji and don't have time to look it up)

Challenge

Training

Player Data

Figure Collection

Options

So, I'm getting pretty pumped for Steel Diver, especially after hearing this news:

http://nintendo3dsblog.com/nintendo-reveals-naval-battle-mode-in-steel-diver-supports-download-play#more-611534933

I'm making an effort to make my first gaming experience on the 3DS be with a game I've never played before. I want this to be completely new. Even if OoT was a launch title, I'd still play steel Diver first.

I can't believe how useless IGN is these days. This blog is really good and updates with something new almost every couple hours.

The only launch game I'm getting is SSF4, even though I already have it on PS3. I'll probably get Okamiden that day as well. As others have noted, early adopters have a double-edged sword to deal with. On the one hand, no one knows enough about the 3DS to make a good call on it either way. The original DS paid off as a good "risk," and I suspect support for this system will be similar, though it's hard to say. Also, the games are a heaping pile of "meh" for launch day.

That said, I have this feeling that 3DS systems are going to be the third Nintendo product to print money (along with the Wii and DS Lite) in a short period of time. I remember working at GameStop during the height of the Wii's popularity. Even during the summer months, people would be lining up in the store on days we might get Wii shipments just to score one for themselves or their kids. Barring any unforeseen problems, I really think the same thing's going to happen for the next two years with the 3DS.

I'm going to buy one when it launches because contrary to popular belief it isn't going to get any cheaper or any more plentiful in the coming months

better to have one with nothing to play on it than to go buy one when Zelda comes out only to find oh they are all gone forever

I mean seriously did people not learn from buying Wiis you know those things that were almost impossible to ever find for the first two years of release

We're not talking about a home console. Has a handheld ever seen shortages? Especially the DS?

Sure, why not. The Damned seems to be thinking along the same lines as me, so I'm not sure.

Ever heard of the Gameboy? Or the iPhone? Or the iPad? ;-)

If this thing is sold out for a year or so, I'm not going to be heart broken. Until I see a 2D Mario game, Mario Kart, a Metroid NOT made by Sakamoto, I'll hold off. At least within a year's time frame a few decent games will be out (just my opinion, you don't have to like it). And I refuse to plunk down $250 dollars on this thing until I can see the 3D effect for myself.

Edited by Toadofsky

Wouldn't hold your breath for a purely 2D Mario, they haven't made one in over a decade (Unless you count those Mario Vs DK games or Yoshi Island DS). Best we will get is a 2.5D NSMB style game.

Would love to see a new one though, but preferably on a console though. I'm not a fan on the NSMB crap style. Games are OK. Its probably way cheaper to make a NSMB or Paper Mario style game than a real 2D game though

And I would say before the announcment of the NGP that the 3DS would probably be scarce, but I think the NGP is going to take some wind out of the sails. BUT maybe not, the hipster trendy people will still flock to it because "oooh 3D!11"

Edited by Crowbar Man

Ever heard of the Gameboy? Or the iPhone? Or the iPad? ;-)

Um, was that supposed to be rhetorical? I've never heard about Gameboy shortages before. And why are you mentioning two unrelated electronic devices? We're talking about handheld gaming consoles here. Furthermore, maybe your retort would be more effective if you could cite a few examples of shortages of DS-related handhelds. I've never heard of that problem before, either. The only console that was hard to obtain in recent memory was the Wii.

Actually, the DS had 2 major shortages. The first was right when it launched in November of 2005. It was pretty much preorder only, but with a holiday launch like that, it's not unexpected.

The bigger shortage was in the Fall of 2006. This was, of course, the same time the Wii was released, but the DS Lite also saw its first holiday season at this point. Someone didn't expect it to be as big as it was because I remember having quite a few of them around the end of November at my GameStop location, then being sold out the following week. People were constantly asking for them. It wasn't a two-year-long "OMG I can't find one" event like the Wii, but for a couple of months, we had difficulty keeping them in stock, and around Christmas, they would sell out within minutes of getting a shipment.

Generally, Nintendo's pretty good with its handhelds as far as keeping them in stock. The GBA SP was the former portable market champion, and while we'd sell out of certain colors, we nearly always had the system in stock during its heyday. The only reason I'm not completely sold on the 3DS being readily available is that the 3D screens might reduce the number of systems available in the short term. This Christmas, if Nintendo can get some big titles out (Zelda, Kid Icarus, and they need a Mario game of some sort), the system's going to sell like crazy in all likelihood.