3DS: Friend Codes on First Page, OMG THE THIRD DIMENSION

The Damned

I never noticed a DS phat shortage. I didn't preorder, and walked into Bestbuy about 5pm the day of release. My brother was reminding me that he had trouble finding a DS lite initially, but I bought mine at target a week before release. (since they broke the street date.) When I was at Gamestop recently, they told me that they expected wii-like shortages for the 3DS. That's what they always say though. Apparently Japan sold through the initial 400,000 shipment, but most stores were getting restocks the very next day.

Um, was that supposed to be rhetorical? I've never heard about Gameboy shortages before. And why are you mentioning two unrelated electronic devices? We're talking about handheld gaming consoles here. Furthermore, maybe your retort would be more effective if you could cite a few examples of shortages of DS-related handhelds. I've never heard of that problem before, either. The only console that was hard to obtain in recent memory was the Wii.

It was rhetorical. And if you're taking offense, oh please forgive me, it was a joke, sorry it wasn't funny.

What about the 360? Is that better? The thing was sold out, at least at launch.

Kotaku is saying their 3DSs are experiencing weak hinges.

If you are paying the same amount Nintendo used to charge for its home console, you want a sturdy handheld. And the 3DS's upper lid doesn't quite seem to pass the mustard. Don't get me wrong, it's sturdy in that sense that kids can (and will) chuck it in the bags and knock it about. However, sturdy clam-shell design has long plagued Nintendo. Remember the DS Lite and the broken hinges? And how they'd eventually flop open and shut like wet noodles? The 3DS doesn't seem that bad, but there's already some give and some flop when it's opened. That worries me.

Now, they may just have a bad 3DS or two, it happens. Maybe they're even over-reacting. Anyone else with an imported 3DS care to comment?

I've never had a problem with any of the hinges of any of my Nintendo handhelds. Mine all still work perfectly. Maybe I just take better care of my stuff :?

ANyways, yeah, We still don't have a solid answer on battery life.

One time I was playing Tactics Ogre: knights of Lodis for the GBA and I got really mad and shook my cobalt GBA SP and the hinge was slightly loose after that. Never really had any hinge problems that weren't my fault. After I got my Dsi I tried to swap it for a different one because the hinge was somewhat loose, but all the units were that way. I think it was Nintendos way of solving that cracked hinge thing on the DSlite.

I've seen loose hinges on DS and GBA units, though I've never experienced this personally. If you're relatively careful, it won't come loose unless it's defective, in which case it's probably under warranty.

Case in point, all of the loose hinges I've ever seen were child-owned DS and GBA systems that were traded in at GameStop. Teen- or adult-owned systems generally don't suffer from the same problem. If yours does or did, there was probably a problem with it from the start.

I've never had a problem with any of the hinges of any of my Nintendo handhelds. Mine all still work perfectly. Maybe I just take better care of my stuff :?

I take obsessive care of all my electronic items, but that doesn't stop the shoulder buttons from breaking consistently on my handhelds. I just must not want it enough.

NeoGAF members are starting to report battery life and settings.

Got 5 hours 15 minutes, give or take, this time. Again, that's with occasional 3D slider gameplay, about 45 minutes of Wi-Fi, brightness 1, power save off, 30 minutes or so of AR play.
And I just hit the battery halfway mark after playing a couple online matches. That's nearly 4 hours now. ^^

So, really, no clear answer still.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't enabling the 3D force the game to draw the same images twice? It makes sense(at least in my mind) that this would lead to decreased battery life, as well as the brightness setting(assuming that 1 is the strongest).

I'm willing to bet that with 3D and brightness off, the system can easily hit 8 to 10 hours.

According to tests and Nintendo's own comments, the system renders both angles all the time any way. The power draw on the 3D effect is from both 3D screens running at the same time, not from having the screen being rendered twice.

And so far, no concrete answers on low settings so far. It's been more than a day, you would think someone would have tried it by now.

Edited by The Damned

I'm sure we all enjoy playing handhelds late at night or something or whenever, on the road or not- I've done more of my old Gameboy playing at home than in a car, I'll tell you that much.

But those AR card games are looking pretty cool. They alone might be worth getting a 3DS now.

But those AR card games

AR card games

games

CRAZYapes.gif

Can't wait to see all the inevitably dirty pictures these cards produce.

Edited by EC2151

Haha, those are pretty funny. I'm still waiting to see more of Street Pass Quest and the battery life. I wish people wouldn't play they.re 3DSs so much and make some actual videos about the stuff we need to know! :(

Two things that have bugged me that no-one's answered is if the buttons are 'clicky' like the DSi, and if the case is actual metal like the GameBoy Micro or if it's just plastic.