3DS: Friend Codes on First Page, OMG THE THIRD DIMENSION

The Damned

So I got the unit a little while ago along with Super Street Fighter 4 3D. General impressions so far: eh, it's alright. It's a DS. Given the impressive library of games for the DS, that fact is pretty exciting. Still, the launch titles are a huge disappointment. Street Fighter, while good, is not as good as the PS3 one is. So far, the best use I've found for it is playing Okamiden (the stick works infinitely better than the D-pad did for this game).

That said, I'm still glad I got it. I'm holding out hope that Nintendo's got some decent games coming down the road because right now, the only real problem with it is it's terrible software lineup.

Well, that and the over-the-shoulder/behind the back mode for SSFIV sucks.

My right button is clicky, but not the left. I guess all my good luck finally caught up with me :P

:(

At least it works, even if it doesn't have a satisfying sound.

EDIT: OOOHHH MYYYY GOOOSH THE 3D IN PILOTWINGS IS AMAAAAZING!!!!!!

Edited by Overflow

first impressions include OMFG and LOOK AT THIS ARE YOU SEEING THIS and OW MY HEAD KIND OF HURTS IN AN ODDLY SPECIFIC SPOT

can't wait for an actual game that I want to buy! for now I'm having a blast playing pokemon black with the analog nubber :3

oh and taking 3D pictures of my cat is the real reason I bought this thing obviously

Edited by Benjamin Briggs

Haha, yeah, I've got a bit of a headache in a very specific spot too :P

When I started playing Pilotwings, I had full 3D, and it was AWESOME, but after a while, I had to tone it down. I really love that slider.

I was able to get in about 3 1/2 hours after a full charge before it started flashing red. During that time, I had brightness at 3, power saving mode off, Wi-Fi on, I played all the built in software, a few DS games, and kept switching between 3D and 2D. Yeah, about what I expected. if you turned off 3D, wifi, turned on power-saving mode, etc, you should get about 5 hours.

3D pictures are awesome. Looking forward to taking 3D movies!

EDIT: You can turn off 3D permanently through parental controls. The system made a couple clicking sounds, the 3D light turned off, and moving the slider does nothing. I have a feeling that doing this could also extend battery life. I mean, now it's not doing double rendering just in case you turn 3D on.

Edited by Overflow

My 3DS casing is messed up. On the outside top shell, near one of the cameras there is a bump in the plastic casing. you can feel it.. and you can see it in the same way that it doesn't reflect light the correct way. I tried to call gamestop back but couldn't get ahold of anyone. I'm sure every store is sold out, but I really want to exchange it though. I'm obsessing about it, and it sucks because I don't think you can export your mii and street pass system data.

EDIT: You can turn off 3D permanently through parental controls. The system made a couple clicking sounds, the 3D light turned off, and moving the slider does nothing. I have a feeling that doing this could also extend battery life. I mean, now it's not doing double rendering just in case you turn 3D on.

Nope. According to Nintendo's own explanation of how the system works, the 3DS is always rending both views on a 3DS game. They can't just turn off parts of the processor and get better power usage.

The real battery drain is the 3D display. When it's on, it blocks out some of the backlight. This makes the image darker. To overcome this, the backlight has to increase it's output. Brighter screen = more battery power.

@ The Damned: Ah well, that's too bad. That really would have helped out people who can't see the 3D anyways.

This thing sounds pretty, well, bad, but also good. If I had a spare half grand to drop on it, I'd do it. But hells no. I ain't got that kind of cash. And you can't JUST get the system with no games. What are they changing for 'em, $50?

Here in Canada, the games are just $40, the same as DS games, which was a pleasant surprise.

Checked out the 3ds for the first time today at Target.

Came away feeling the same way I did when checking out 3d tv's at best buy. The image never seems to stop being slightly soft, and when I got the 'sweet spot', I wasn't that blown away by the depth. (Played pilot wings btw)

Played for about 1 minute, and my eyes hurt and had a slight headache. Maybe the 3d effect just isn't good for me. I don't see the new 3d fad sticking around (just like when they tried to introduce it years ago) unless it makes vast improvements.

But a new DS is always exciting, and I would expect to see some great games. I usually get the hand helds a couple years later, when they release the new and improved version. Love my DsiXL.

honestly I think the eyestrain and headache are extremely common; I wouldn't let that turn you off to the 3D altogether

more impressions: taking 3D photos is ridiculously addicting, and the ability to fine-tune the focus makes it even more powerful

I've had lots and lots of fun with the AR cards, putting a little kirby in my hand and moving him around is so mesmerizing :3

Here in Canada, the games are just $40, the same as DS games, which was a pleasant surprise.

No, what a surprise is that the US and Canadian prices are the same. I've never seen the same price for any system, or even any electronic device in general, before. A few times, the exchange rate made it cheaper to import from the US then buying something at a local store, but that's not the same thing.

Seriously, I've never seen any electronics go for the same price here as they do in the states. It must be from the stable parity we've had the last year or so. Right now, the Canadian dollar is $0.98+ US. Usually when we get this kind of exchange rate, no one ever adjusts the prices, and we still have to pay more. Books are especially bad for this; on average, I'd say we pay five dollars more for books, ten or more for bigger ones or hardcovers.

But the 3DS being $250, regardless of which side of the border you're on? Thanks Nintendo!

@ The Damned: Ah well, that's too bad. That really would have helped out people who can't see the 3D anyways.

I was hoping the Toys R Us deal would apply to us to take the cost down a bit but it was a no go :(

Instead I got the Best Buy deal ($10 off two games) and $30 for Rayman at Costco... good enough for me. And like Damned said, I've been surprised that prices are equal to those of the US as well. And EB Games isn't even charging $5 more for first party games like they always do!

As for the 3D, I wasn't immediately impressed admittedly, but it really grew on me. I later played for hours on end with no eye problems (yet). Also, Faceraiders is epic the first time you play it :)