3DS: Friend Codes on First Page, OMG THE THIRD DIMENSION

The Damned

I don't really understand the whole left hand thing. When you play NES, for example, you're forced to control direction with your left thumb. There's just no way around that (Unless you use an Advantage or something), so that's just how video games are. Unless you mean using a stylus/pen in your right hand is difficult, which I understand, but again, unless they let you control movement with ABXY (Like they did in MP:H) then again, you don't really have a choice...

As for the astigmatism, I also have slight astigmatism and where contacts, and I can see the 3D and play for about an hour on full before my eyes get a little tired.

It's the stylus issue.

Imagine a drunken monkey flailing around helplessly.

That's my right hand.

...Or just imagine a dude that has a hard time coordinating fine movements with his right hand.

The monkey part is funnier though.

Playing DS games on the 3DS looks pretty gross either way you do it. Good thing I wasn't planning on selling my triforce DS Lite.

The 3DS content seems pretty nice, though. I felt fine playing for somewhere around 30-45 minutes, but my eyes got a little strained afterwards. Now I'm afraid if I play for hours and then turn it off, my eyes will suddenly burst with no warning.

Playing DS games on the 3DS looks pretty gross either way you do it. Good thing I wasn't planning on selling my triforce DS Lite.

The 3DS content seems pretty nice, though. I felt fine playing for somewhere around 30-45 minutes, but my eyes got a little strained afterwards. Now I'm afraid if I play for hours and then turn it off, my eyes will suddenly burst with no warning.

only the first hour is straining your eyes (i got the same problem) but after a while you'll get used to it. Adjust the slider around 50% to begin.

only the first hour is straining your eyes (i got the same problem) but after a while you'll get used to it. Adjust the slider around 50% to begin.

I realized I could've been clearer. I never felt strained while playing; I turned it off after 30-45 minutes. The eye strain came after I was no longer looking at the screen.

why

does it upscale or what

Whatever the right terms are, DS games seem to be resized to fit the 3DS resolution. You can either play with the game resized and slightly blurry or play on an uncomfortably tiny screen.

Not like they're unplayable...they just don't look as nice either way. My friend doesn't even notice, but I think it's ugly. :<

Edited by Hylian Lemon

I realized I could've been clearer. I never felt strained while playing; I turned it off after 30-45 minutes. The eye strain came after I was no longer looking at the screen.

it was clear for me. i got that strain too AFTER playing, probably your eyes adjusting from the 3DS to reality. I don't feel that anymore now that i'm used to it.

Whatever the right terms are, DS games seem to be resized to fit the 3DS resolution. You can either play with the game resized and slightly blurry or play on an uncomfortably tiny screen.

Not like they're unplayable...they just don't look as nice either way. My friend doesn't even notice, but I think it's ugly. :<

Wait, is there a way to turn off upscaling? I have very good eyes, I don't mind things being small.

I've been playing Radiant Historia on the 3DS, and to me it looks fine. I never did play it on a regular DS though. This, Pokemon and Okamiden will likely be the last DS games I play.

Has anyone noticed that there isn't a wrist strap attachment on the 3DS? The original DS came with that thumb pad wrist strap, and every subsequent system had a place for a wrist strap, why not the 3DS? it kinda bums me out.

Any body try out Nyko's 3DS Battery? Looks like it could assuage many 3DS owners of short battery life gaming.

Here's the meaty part

I decided to torture the thing until it tapped out. I put in Rayman 3D, a relatively graphically intense 3D game, and played that the entirety of the testing period. There was almost no time spent on menus or browsing my friends list; it was all play time. I turned the brightness all the way up and made sure I was connected to the Internet. The 3D slider was likewise set to maximum with power save mode disabled. I disconnected the headphones and made sure the speakers were cranking out sound for maximum battery drain. I took five-minute breaks here and there to rest my eyes. This is the absolute worst-case scenario when it comes to 3DS battery life, and has very little relation to real-world use cases.

With the stock battery, you'd be lucky to get three hours out of these conditions.

The Nyko battery lasted five hours and forty minutes. Well done! This was accomplished under punishing conditions; if you turn off WiFi, use headphones, turn power save mode on, and dial down the brightness a few notches, you suddenly have a system that's ready for long flights or marathon playing sessions. For $20 this is a great addition to your system, even if the black coloring looks pretty goofy on the aquamarine 3DS. The loss of the charging cradle is annoying, but the additional play time makes it worthwhile.

Makes me want to reconsider getting one, or at least when and if my old DSLite bites the dust...

I don't think the original DS was an overnight hit though either, it was something that got a lot of positive reviews and then led up to continual sales over the past five or so years.

http://crenk.com/nintendo-3ds-sells-over-400000-units-in-first-day-of-japan-sales/

This site gives a number and says they sold over 400 000 units in Japan. The Destructoid article isn't clear if they're referring to Japanese or US sales.

The Destructoid article doesn't even claim a source, but this is Destructoid we're talking about. While the launch is successful, I'll wait for at least a year or more to REALLY call it a success. After all, Sony claimed a successful launch for the PS3, and it still hasn't come close to the Wii, PS2's, or 360's total LIFETIME sales...

Yeah, those are consoles, but I still rest my case.