3DS: Friend Codes on First Page, OMG THE THIRD DIMENSION

The Damned

How is everyone feeling about their 3DS purchase? Honestly, I'm very conflicted, at least it has potential. I don't really like the 3D at all, I like it best in SFIV, but it's hard to focus on in Pilot Wings and typically gives me a headache. All of the included "games" are cool, and are a welcome change for a system launch.

So, streetpass, both systems have to be in sleep mode with their wifi switches on? Does it affect streetpass when connected to a wifi hotspot? My brother's 3DS sat on top of mine for about 20 minutes before streetpass tag kicked in. Though, he was connected to his wifi network and I wasn't.

Also, I don't really see the point in the friends list. You cannot communicate with eachother, and you can't trade 3d photos, and as far as I know you cannot trade mii's without using QR codes. Speaking of QR codes, why the hell do you have to save it to the SD card and then put the card into another device for it to work?

Edited by Soma

Love the 3D. LOVE IT. It's never come close to giving me a headache and enhances everything so much. I messed around with 3D pictures for hours today. They're really exciting to me-- the next step in photography. I haven't experienced Streetpass yet but I plan to walk around downtown tomorrow so I can play Find Mii. I hope it works better than it did for you, Soma. The friends list is a little disappointing. I guess it's best for seeing what your friends are playing so you can join them online, but not being able to send messages... you could even do that on the Wii.

Anyway, at least with the 3DS they're planning on frequent updates, so maybe things will improve. I don't regret my purchase, though. If I hated 3D (which I don't get... do you walk around with one eye closed as well?)I might regret it.

So, streetpass, both systems have to be in sleep mode with their wifi switches on? Does it affect streetpass when connected to a wifi hotspot? My brother's 3DS sat on top of mine for about 20 minutes before streetpass tag kicked in. Though, he was connected to his wifi network and I wasn't.

i collected two mii on the street the other day, and i'm pretty sure (from the location i picked them it didn't take 20 min.)

How is everyone feeling about their 3DS purchase? Honestly, I'm very conflicted, at least it has potential. I don't really like the 3D at all, I like it best in SFIV, but it's hard to focus on in Pilot Wings and typically gives me a headache. All of the included "games" are cool, and are a welcome change for a system launch.

About pilotwings, yes the 3D is beautiful nut after a while trying to perform quick turn and himmelman to catch balloon and ring i start to see double too, but i tend to move the 3DS so i'm probably out of focus. My other game is asphalt and like ridge racer i found the same problem, the 3D is average at best when you look at the screen but when you play you tend to focus on the center screen where the road is and i don't feeel the 3D effect.

Also, I don't really see the point in the friends list. You cannot communicate with eachother, and you can't trade 3d photos, and as far as I know you cannot trade mii's without using QR codes. Speaking of QR codes, why the hell do you have to save it to the SD card and then put the card into another device for it to work?

i hope for update too. for exchanging data and maybe the possibility to connect to a nintendo online account or something and upload photo there.

Edited by Doulifée

Didn't know what to expect really but i've been quite impressed so far. SSFIV is superb as many have said. I also have Splinter Cell which is pretty good, the graphics are more in line with the ps2 version than xbox but the game is fun with big levels and the touch pad works very well im my opinion. No multiplayer but the campaign mode lasts a good 8-10 hours.

I don't use 3D at all, it gives me a headache and to be honest i'd rather extend my battery life a little by keeping it off.

Overall though it seems to be a decent little system with tons of potential., I like the analog slider which worked excellent in Splinter Cell i might add. The battery life may be a concern but compared to the Psp go and even the iphone/itouch it's not that bad.

You want to view the mpo file, not the single jpg. Both left and right jpg files sit inside the mpo file. The best and easiest way that I've found to view mpo files is with a freeware program called StereoPhoto Maker which can be found here: http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/

Using that, you can mess around with your 3D photos and save as a stereo jpg in many formats ranging from cross-eyed view to stereo anaglyph. It's a pretty nifty program.

I've been playing Pilot Wings more, It's not as bad as I thought. There's little depth beyond collecting things in free mode and 3 starring the main levels, but it's a blast, and the controls are pretty spot on. I absolutely hate the rocket belt. I could do with a more proper Pilot Wings sequel, with birdman and sky diving. A better setting would help as well, I have to assume Pilot Wings being out at launch has a lot to do with reusing the Island from Wii Sports Resort. I'd like to see what Nintendo could do with some more time.

Have you guys messed with QR codes much? They're sorta novel. There are sites out there with tons of QR codes for cool Mii's. It's kind of a clever replacement for the mii create shop channel or whatever it was called on the wii.

NickMiiQRCode.jpg

Have you guys messed with QR codes much? They're sorta novel. There are sites out there with tons of QR codes for cool Mii's. It's kind of a clever replacement for the mii create shop channel or whatever it was called on the wii.

NickMiiQRCode.jpg

Woah. That's neat. It worked really fast.... now I need to think of some really clever things to do with this...