3DS: Friend Codes on First Page, OMG THE THIRD DIMENSION

The Damned

you realize they are remaking both games visually from the ground up and probably adding in extra content, as well as including master quest in OoT

there is not really any reason not to buy these games

Forgot about Master Quest being put in, but haven't heard anything of new content with Star Fox. Other than a visual upgrade, I'm just not that enticed by either games, mainly because I like Wind Waker, and Link to the Past better than OoT. Same goes for Star Fox, I like the SNES version better.

These remastered ports are fine and all, but I'm still unconvinced with the 3DS, I'll give it a year or more before even thinking about buying one.

• 1 month later...

Mmmk, got my 3ds, and yea, nothing really much going on huh?

Well it was my B-day, had to get something.

Friend Code 1504-5768-2443

Bam. Oh yea, got SF4 and Samurai Warriors. That's it.

Edit: Hey, does anyone remember me from back in the day when we got together and play Mario kart and Animal Crossing?

Edited by Unstable Hamster

• 2 weeks later...

Some news!

First, Canada is getting a 3DS tour this summer. It's limited to a few cities in a few provinces, but at least we're getting something.

http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/events/canadian-events

People can attend and get to try out games like Zelda OoT 3D and Pilotwings.

Next, we have something for the Pokémon players out there. It's limited to just the new BW pokémon, but how does a free 3D pokédex app sound? Oh, did I mention you can use it to take 3D AR photos of the pokémon? And it's free?

http://nintendo3dsblog.com/pokedex-3d-to-launch-with-the-eshop#more-611539455

Long time no see people.

I had totally been ignoring the 3DS due to my long streak of retro gaming these days until I picked up and played some demo units at a game store the other day. DOA seemed pretty nice and I want it. I really like the 3D effects, even though it's pretty much a big gimmick I think it was done pretty well and now I want one. For those of you that own the system, are the 3D effects something you just get used to and ignore after a few hours of playing a particular game, or is it always that involving? Should I just stick to my Master System and 3D glasses or take the plunge? I'm OK with the sparse launch titles. I was just going to pick up DOA and Street Fighter and wait until something better comes out. But for $50 more I could pick up a PS3 instead. Hmm...

Long time no see people.

Holy shit, Evilhead sighting. Where you been and what you been doing, man?

are the 3D effects something you just get used to and ignore after a few hours of playing a particular game

A few hours with the 3D effect on? Good luck getting that far.

I've seen some people constantly fiddle with it as they play. I ask and some of they say it's to get the effect just right, while some say they do it to because it's not working for them (they're getting used to it).

But one thing that a lot of people speak of is the "extra 3D" effect from playing a lot. Normally 2D images somehow seem to be in 3D, like TVs and computer monitors. Websites will be to pop out. It goes away after a while.

I've been doing well, thank you!

What I meant was if the 3D effects became less noticeable and impressive after owning the system for a while. I mean, playing it in the store I had that "wow, cool!" feeling I haven't had with a gaming system that I haven't had since I first played Wipeout in store displays during the PS1 launch. The 3D effect is pretty amazing to me. But I have a feeling that after having the system for a couple months the 3D effects would become less important aside from the few games that use them well (I'm expecting the first party games to nail it of course), so I wanted some opinions from those who have the system. I'm tempted just to impulse buy the thing since I know I'll get one eventually, but I've been buying tons of Megadrive and Master System games these days which are keeping me busy.

I've had no problems playing it for hours on end, so it's no where near as bad as The Damned made it sound. Your eyes start to adjust to it and over time you see the 3D with less and less effort. The "Wow!" factor does diminish, but it doesn't stop being an extra layer of immersion. It's like having a really nice set of headphones for a long time- you might not always say "Wow!" when you put them on, but when you do without them you suddenly realize what you would be missing.

Like any gimmick, the novelty does wear off a little bit. But since it's a graphical effect as opposed to, say, a control scheme, it doesn't get tiresome IMO. It's neat and complements the experience, like surround sound. You might even miss it a little when it's off.

I've always been a fan of the effect...anything that increases the immersion factor is a plus in my book.