3DS: Friend Codes on First Page, OMG THE THIRD DIMENSION

The Damned

that type of audience will n ever drop $700 on a phone for their 7 year old.

Cmon you're talking about the same ones that would drop trough the second Jobs shits out the next iteration of the same product or a new product that's heavily shackled by exclusivity, gimped by software, and overpriced over reasonable prices.

Like Nekofrog points out, Nintendo VASTLY overestimated themselves.

They took sales numbers for the Wii/DS and probably translated that into consumer loyalty, so when they decided to release the 3DS at the price point they did, with hardly any software, and having a revision history almost as high as the iPhone, they thought "Meh, whatever. People will still buy our shit, 'cause they love us!"

Except that they didn't realize that most of the Wii/DS audience are now playing their casual games on cheaper and more ubiquitous hardware, and the people who would have been loyal don't love them as much anymore. Now they're saying with the Wii U that they "want to bring the hardcore gamer back", but it's going to be a hard sell, especially after the response they gave the hardcore audience regarding Project Rainfall. In the face of the upcoming PSVita storm(which will have its own problems as well), lowering the price of the 3DS is pretty much one of the few things they could do, and that might be the shot in the arm they need if their holiday season has new software instead of the remakes they've been putting out a la Ocarina of Time and Starfox 64.

The issue with the N64 is that it was basically already a dinosaur when cheaper and larger CD media was coming into the scene, because Yamauchi was a dick, blew off Sony and then refused to pay royalties to incorporate CDs into their consoles, which pissed off a good portion of third party developers like Squaresoft and the like. On the hardware front, while the system had its fair share of good titles(like OoT and Rogue Squadron), you were required to buy a RAM expansion pack to play some of the better stuff(like Majora's Mask), and by doing that they upped the barrier to entry and split their playerbase.

For me personally, the lack of any great third-party RPGs and fighting games are what did the system in, and ever since that generation, Nintendo has fallen into 3rd place among many of the "hardcore" gamers.

And that was Nintendo's DS market? What?

The old DS was actually alright in price and a decent library right around when the Lite rendition took off. 3DS now doesn't really provide anything as compelling as the earlier two; In my opinion of course.

Much like how I don't see the Wii U being any more compelling than a wacom tablet except cheaper than an actual wacom tablet.

PS1 shot looks waaaaaaaaaaaay better to me. Look at the textures on the clothes; you can see fair amounts of ruffles and shit. What do you see on that bitches shirt? Nothing it's a gradient, there is no texture, except on her apron and sleeves.

Ugly as shit, makes it plain and unappealing.

Did...did I somehow just jump into a time portal to GameFAQs 10 years ago? At least give me the old blue OCR back dammit.

Edited by Dhsu

Yeah the N64 vs PS1 debate, this is bringing me way back.

But back on topic, an $80 price cut is pretty nice. I'm interested in the 3D hardware enough that I ALMOST bought one at the launch price, but was waiting until some more software comes out (or a flashcart, whichever came first). I didn't think a price drop would come so soon but it makes sense considering the poor sales and upcoming Vita and it makes me much more likely to buy one in the near future.

Nintendo really did screw this one up though. If they would have launched the system with at least ONE killer first party app like a new Mario, F-Zero, or Zelda game and a $200 price tag, it might have been enough to get some players to pull themselves away from their DSs, but with that shitty launch what the hell were they thinking? It's like they didn't even care or think.

Yeah the N64 vs PS1 debate, this is bringing me way back.

But back on topic, an $80 price cut is pretty nice. I'm interested in the 3D hardware enough that I ALMOST bought one at the launch price, but was waiting until some more software comes out (or a flashcart, whichever came first). I didn't think a price drop would come so soon but it makes sense considering the poor sales and upcoming Vita and it makes me much more likely to buy one in the near future.

Nintendo really did screw this one up though. If they would have launched the system with at least ONE killer first party app like a new Mario, F-Zero, or Zelda game and a $200 price tag, it might have been enough to get some players to pull themselves away from their DSs, but with that shitty launch what the hell were they thinking? It's like they didn't even care or think.

i haven't seen you forever if i wasn't in the middle east and you japan i'd fellate you

The only difference between this price drop and every other price drop that every other system has had is it's sooner than expected.

Other than that, it's still the same "shit, I should have waited a bit longer before getting mine" as before.

As for the free VC titles... how are they going to tell the difference between the early adopters and new buyers? Are they just going to give them all away to anyone, and then immediately after the price drop goes into effect, put them back up to full prices/take them off the market?

The only difference between this price drop and every other price drop that every other system has had is it's sooner than expected.

Other than that, it's still the same "shit, I should have waited a bit longer before getting mine" as before.

As for the free VC titles... how are they going to tell the difference between the early adopters and new buyers? Are they just going to give them all away to anyone, and then immediately after the price drop goes into effect, put them back up to full prices/take them off the market?

Maybe if they register on Club Nintendo or something they can trace the serial number?

Nah, not everyone joins Club Nintendo. I never have and I had multiple GameBoys and DSs, not to mention a Wii and GameCube and all their games I could have registered.

Club Nintendo is a bit of a joke. Send in some serial numbers, maybe get some wallpapers. Buy enough games and systems, get a free Mario poster. OOooooh, totally worth it.

If you log in to the eShop on a 3DS before August 11, it registers your hardware with their servers and puts you in the 3DS Ambassador's Program. That's how it will know that you're entitled to the free games.

I think using the word "entitled" might be a bit misleading. If anything, the campaign is just designed to soften the blow of being an early adopter, which to be honest is a risk you take. It's good PR for them, but I personally don't think these guys are "entitled" to much.

If anything, this whole thing makes me worry about the Wii U's initial sales outlook.

I think using the word "entitled" might be a bit misleading. If anything, the campaign is just designed to soften the blow of being an early adopter, which to be honest is a risk you take. It's good PR for them, but I personally don't think these guys are "entitled" to much.

Semantics.

But yeah, early adoption of new technology is always like this. People just like to bitch and complain that they got "ripped off" because they didn't have psychic powers to known when they should get one.

I don't even think this is the earliest price cut on a system, either. I think the Nokia N-Gage beats the 3DS. I'd have to find some numbers to be sure, though.

On the topic of getting free VC games... I already own most of those games, in their original cartridge format. VC titles aren't really interesting to me, as I can play them on my GBA or DS Lite.

They could have thrown in a coupon for a free 3DS game or something. That would be awesome. Then when the good games start coming out later this year, free Mario Kart/Starfox/whatever.

This is still pretty good. I mean, NES games are $5 each on the wii, so right there that $50 worth of free games. GBA games are probably going to be around $8 each, so there's another $80 of free games, making around $130 worth of free games, and this is just for a price drop of $80 that Nintendo is not obligated to reimburse us for at all.

Compare that to the PSN outage and sony's "reimbursement" package of two $20 games and a couple free minis. Yeah, Sometimes Nintendo can be awesome.

Besides, if these free games are good (which they are) then it doesn't matter how old they are: a good game is worth playing again. Plus, some of the GBA games will be exclusive to early adopters. Again, this is really exciting for me.

Although, since they're bringing NES Zelda to the eshop makes me fear that they may not make a 3d classic version of it :(

I got rid of my 360 not long ago, along with a few games, and with the store credit I have, I can get a 3DS scot-free in August.

Win win I'd say. Just hope the thing makes a turn-around sales wise by next year. Otherwise, I'm afraid this thing will be the Virtual Boy 2......

And cue the 3DS SNES Virtual Console speculation...now

Super Metroid

That would be pretty spectacular. I can't see it happening though. There's already GB, GBC and now apparently GBA games for 3DS VC. That's a massive library to work through. Not that every game would be released, but hell, they are still releasing VC crap on the Wii.