3DS: Friend Codes on First Page, OMG THE THIRD DIMENSION

The Damned

The general consensus is that they wanted to get the extra time jump on the Vita, which hadn't received a solid release date at that point. The idea was that the Vita could launch anytime from just after the 3DSs original shipping date to several months after it. Get the 3DS out sooner, and you get that much more of a head-start.

But yeah, I would have liked more high-level launch titles, but that's just the way things work: new systems hardly ever have anything good at launch.

The general consensus is that they wanted to get the extra time jump on the Vita, which hadn't received a solid release date at that point. The idea was that the Vita could launch anytime from just after the 3DSs original shipping date to several months after it. Get the 3DS out sooner, and you get that much more of a head-start.

But yeah, I would have liked more high-level launch titles, but that's just the way things work: new systems hardly ever have anything good at launch.

I had heard that it was due to pressure from third parties who had completed their first few 3DS games and wanted to turn profit on them ASAP. Nintendo, wanting to court third parties for the 3DS, complied. But yours sounds a bit more plausible.

This is usually the problem that a non-Nintendo or SEGA(back when they were developing consoles) console developer would have. Nintendo usually had a quality Mario or Zelda game to back up a hardware launch, even up to the Wii where they purposely withheld Twilight Princess to help the Wii, and it did. Quality speaks for itself and had Nintendo waited until they had Mario 3D Land, Kid Icarus, AND the Ocarina of Time remake out, as well as eShop and Netflix 3D movies(or 3D movies in general), THAT would have ensured the hardcore heeded the call regardless of the competition.

What's done is done though and fortunately for them, the PSVita is going to have its own initial dearth of strong software so Nintendo can probably sell quite a few units this Holiday.

A lesson I hope that comes out of this is allowing your teams(and third parties) to have much, MUCH more time with the hardware to make sure they can make a great product. Sure there might be info leaks, but hey, maybe companies can turn that around into good PR.

Quoted For Emphasis. I kind of wish Nintendo could bitchslap Capcom around for it. But they can't really, so it's just pie-in-the-sky thinking.

Maybe Capcom should slap Nintendo for not selling more 3DS's. A lot of 3DS games have been cancelled recently besides MML3. Now it all makes now that I know that the 3DS hasn't been moving units.

I really do like my 3DS a lot. It's becoming my favorite video game system. Being able to play all my DS games, cool new games in 3D, downloading old Gameboy and Gameboy advance games, 3dClassics, movies and videos in 3D a wonderful online shop, augmented reality games...The system itself is really great. I really hope that with the price drop, free games and AAA games coming out this fall Nintendo can get back on its feet.

I think a reason that a lot of people are overlooking for the 3DS slow launch is that a surprisingly large amount of people don't actually stand how large of a hardware upgrade it is

they think it's like going from the gameboy to the gameboy color - basically the same machine except with a small visual upgrade, so they don't see any reason to go out and spend all that money on just the 3D effect

this is the impression I'm getting from a lot of people who like video games but not enough to read about them on the internet

While the price drop is good, if there was a Metroid, or a Fire Emblem, or an Advance Wars, I'd feel an actual urge to buy it. Or anything, for that matter.

Heck, it was Advance Wars that convinced my older brother to buy our first DS! We weren't going to buy it because of no port of Super Mario 64!

And as bleck says, I think that reason (confusion over hardware specs) will hurt the 3DS and the Wii U- people will think it's just an upgrade, and wonder "why purchase it at all?"

I think a reason that a lot of people are overlooking for the 3DS slow launch is that a surprisingly large amount of people don't actually stand how large of a hardware upgrade it is

they think it's like going from the gameboy to the gameboy color - basically the same machine except with a small visual upgrade, so they don't see any reason to go out and spend all that money on just the 3D effect

this is the impression I'm getting from a lot of people who like video games but not enough to read about them on the internet

Then that would be Nintendo's fault in the advertising for the 3DS. I can't say I really blame people for not being able to decipher that, especially since I don't see many ads on T.V., but some of the new ads I've seen coming to Britain seem much better (Simon Pegg narrating it!).

Overall, I can't wait to go and pick one up in August. I'm not sure on what game to get. I'm not really into Street Fighter, Pilotwings seems to be a game that should have just been included with the system, and I've played Ocarina of Time plenty. Of course, I did see a used copy of Metroid Prime Pinball......

Edited by Toadofsky

You know, I bought the 3DS on day 1 and played standard DS games on it for a few months (I continue to insist that the joystick/nub thing is the best way to play any 3d DS game, like Okami). I felt ripped off, and continue to feel that way now that we have Zelda as the only really major 3DS title. But I have to give credit where credit is due. Nintendo dropped the price, which was a good business decision I think. Also, it didn't screw over the people who, like me, decided to buy it early. 20 free games? Yeah, I know I have many of them in their original NES or GBA cartridge form, but that doesn't make it any less cool of them to give out so much free stuff to people who paid them an extra $80.

Maybe Capcom should slap Nintendo for not selling more 3DS's. A lot of 3DS games have been cancelled recently besides MML3. Now it all makes now that I know that the 3DS hasn't been moving units.

The problem with this is it's a vicious cycle and circular logic. The systems don't sell themselves without games, and as it's been gone over in the thread it's a granted Nintendo had no Triple A launch title. But at the same time, when the 3DS was announced it was something of a darling for developers.

It's just that many developers were slow in making release, made a "meh" game, or just backed out because they didn't have the stomach to take a chance.

A system needs games to sell. Developers pulling out early and canning titles isn't necessarily Nintendo's fault in its entirety. But Legends 3, if fan reaction was any indication? It was going to be a killer app for the 3DS upon its release. Its cancellation still makes very little sense to me on the basis of sagging 3DS sales.

I think a reason that a lot of people are overlooking for the 3DS slow launch is that a surprisingly large amount of people don't actually stand how large of a hardware upgrade it is.

Definitely a huge part of the problem, and I had a feeling this was going to happen when I saw the final design of the system is nearly identical to that of a DSi.

Oohh, I hear talk of Kirby and The Amazing Mirror as one of the GBA downloads.

Never did get that one, and I have most of the Kirby games.

I really want to see what the other GBA games are. I already own one of them, and the others aren't exactly personal favorites.

I played Nightmare in Dreamland, which was a remake of the first NES Kirby, which I really liked. Squeak Squad and Super Star Ultra was pretty good.

I had to explain that to a lot of people months before it came out. This is basically like going from PS1 to PS2, or PS2 to PS3. It's a completely different system.