3DS: Friend Codes on First Page, OMG THE THIRD DIMENSION

The Damned

Quick question. So I've realized that a lot of people say the 3D effect on the system makes them a bit dizzy or strained after prolonged use, but I haven't had that problem at all. Then it hit me, maybe I can't see the full 3D effect like someone who not-shit vision. Is shit supposed to be popping out of the screen like crazy or something, 'cause really I can pretty much just see changes to depth and what not in certain games, and in others not too much difference at all.

Example, I could definitely see the difference in depth with OoT, but Star Fox? Not too exaggerated. Are my eyes just not getting it?

With the screen so close to your face, pop-out graphics would probably strain your eyes too much. You might as well look at your nose for hours. So yeah, the games aren't really designed to pop out.

I haven't found the 3d in Starfox to be very impressive. It's cool, and on a Landmaster stage its really good, but I haven't found the depth or popout to be as impressive as it was in OoT. The 3DS can do some crazy 3d. If you've ever played 3d classic Xevious on full 3D, then you know what I'm talking about.

So I'm really liking Starfox, but it's such a pity they haven't done more with the game/franchise. Multiplayer should be online, first of all, but it should also allow more players(like 8 ) and have a capture the flag mode. If they could make it like Starfox Assault where you can hop out of your ship too, then that would be awesome. Also, co-op starfox would be amazing.

I haven't found the 3d in Starfox to be very impressive. It's cool, and on a Landmaster stage its really good, but I haven't found the depth or popout to be as impressive as it was in OoT. The 3DS can do some crazy 3d. If you've ever played 3d classic Xevious on full 3D, then you know what I'm talking about.

I was going to agree with this, but then I realized that on occasion I noticed that the farther away I have the 3DS from my face, the better the effect is for me. I'd say give that a try.

So I'm really liking Starfox, but it's such a pity they haven't done more with the game/franchise. Multiplayer should be online, first of all, but it should also allow more players(like 8 ) and have a capture the flag mode. If they could make it like Starfox Assault where you can hop out of your ship too, then that would be awesome. Also, co-op starfox would be amazing.

While I wish the multiplayer was online and a bit more expanded, I think that Star Fox's biggest strength was "rail-shooter score attacking in space". Maybe if the NPDs show that Star Fox 64 3D(which critically is being seen as the best in the series) does well, we could see a new entry that does all that,

Man, I wish the 3DS "enhanced port" of Tale of Two Towns was the same price as the DS version... and came out on the same day. It's 10 bucks more. DS one comes out this month (9/20) while the 3DS one comes out next month (10/11) but it is presented in higher resolution to fit the 3DS screen and has 3D effects implemented, as well as StreetPass features.

I really want the 3DS one though.

Also, if you're into the Rune Factory games (I recently got really into RF3 on the DS,) Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny hits the PS3 and Wii on 9/27.

goddamn zelda II is even more addicting than I remember

also, I haven't played star fox 64 yet, but I imagine they would scale back the 3d effect to avoid that annoying visual break when something in the extreme foreground ("popping out") crosses over something in the background that you're trying to see

this problem was quite effectively showcased in pilotwings resort and is one of many reasons I no longer own that game

Edited by Benjamin Briggs

Man, I wish the 3DS "enhanced port" of Tale of Two Towns was the same price as the DS version... and came out on the same day. It's 10 bucks more. DS one comes out this month (9/20) while the 3DS one comes out next month (10/11) but it is presented in higher resolution to fit the 3DS screen and has 3D effects implemented, as well as StreetPass features.

I really want the 3DS one though.

Also, if you're into the Rune Factory games (I recently got really into RF3 on the DS,) Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny hits the PS3 and Wii on 9/27.

According to a friend of mine, the delay is because they're trying to "gauge 3DS interest", which is circular bull. Can't be interested in a system if you don't release your games on it, can we? Apart from that, the added 10 bucks is also bull if it's essentially the same game.

That being said, I'll probably still be grabbing it as I'm more partial to Harvest Moon than Animal Crossing by far, but I still wanna read more about it.

Woot! Just earned enough to order the Game&Watch Ball from Club Nintendo! Sweet! I've been platinum every year so far, and I've been platinum this year since july :P

I really want them to bring more Game&Watches to the DS/3DS. I mean, come on! The DS has two screens! How has there never been a Game and Watch Gallery 5? I love the G&W Zelda! I'd love to see it updated! Imagine if it was updated to play like Zelda 2. That would be awesome.

According to a friend of mine, the delay is because they're trying to "gauge 3DS interest", which is circular bull. Can't be interested in a system if you don't release your games on it, can we? Apart from that, the added 10 bucks is also bull if it's essentially the same game.

That being said, I'll probably still be grabbing it as I'm more partial to Harvest Moon than Animal Crossing by far, but I still wanna read more about it.

There's more to it than that. Nintendo outsourced the dev kits. Only 300 a month are going out and the waiting list is extremely long. That was a stupid move by Nintendo to not get as many dev kits out as possible, which is also the reason for delay or games disappearing.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/37189/Nintendo_Shares_Drop_5_Following_PreTGS_Announcements.php

Figures.

Apparently Monster Hunter fans are pissed as hell about Monster Hunter 4 being on 3DS and having platforming elements, too.

Why would they be pissed off about that? They went out and bought PSPs when Monster Hunter came out for that system. Were they expecting the series to stay on the original PSP forever? They'll be happy once they see all the stuff they'll be able to do on Tri G, which I have to admit that as a non-fan seems pretty interesting. I guess portable anything is my kryptonite. This will be a huge shot in the arm for the system now.

At any rate, everything they announced at that press event was a winner in my eyes. New Fire Emblem and Mario Tennis, new Square-Enix RPG(and some Kingdom Hearts 3DS footage snuck in during the Theatrythm trailer), etc., as well as a few showings for release dates on current titles like Mario Kart 7, Luigi's Mansion 2, the new Fatal Frame game(damnit I want it), and holy Jesus does Kid Icarus look good. Sucks that it's being pushed back a bit though.

I missed about the first 15 or 20 minutes though I think. Can anyone bring me up to speed?

Looking at that Fire Emblem promo reel, I'm not digging the anime style for the character portraits. Reminds me of when Castlevania used anime-ish portraits in Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Run; it bothers me but the games ended up far outweighing that distaste with fun and awesome. I'm sure the new FE will be a similar case. I would've LOVED if they had used the art style from the GBA and GCN/Wii games.

And about Monster Hunter, I think having two big MH games on 3DS will help things. Not sure how well received MH Tri on Wii was here in the US, but at least the 3DS is getting high profile games in MH3G and MH4 (hopefully both will reach North America). More games can't hurt. People complaining that these new MH games aren't for the original PSP (I know you love it, Japan but the system is almost 7 year old) are morons. Bitches gonna bitch.

Edited by ocre

http://www.gamesradar.com/tgs-2011-nintendos-3ds-slide-pad-attachment-real-requires-extra-battery-and-will-cost-you-money/

$19 for the add-on seperately

$89 for the MH3G bundle that includes it

Uses AAA batteries

No indication that it is or is not being released outside of Japan

Great, we've devolved back into the days of the AAA-powered add-on peripheral.

What the heck?! That's a heck of a price difference. The Wii version of MHTri didn't even cost that much.

As for the peripheral, one thing to consider is that it transmits the control signals via IR port. A AAA battery should be able to last you a while.

I also think these media outlets are being unfair in calling it ugly and judging it before getting a hands-on opportunity. I doubt many of the people blasting it for looking unwieldy have even seen it in person. I've seen some photos of it that show the back triggers and it not only looks comfortable, but somewhat sleek.

Edited by ocre

I also think these media outlets are being unfair in calling it ugly and judging it before getting a hands-on opportunity. I doubt many of the people blasting it for looking unwieldy have even seen it in person. I've seen some photos of it that show the back triggers and it not only looks comfortable, but somewhat sleek.

Remember last year? When the trend was to be super positive and gush over the 3DS? It's the new thing to put it down, just like the time the DS was going against the PSP before either was even launched.

I ignore most of the opinion pieces from gaming journalism (Jim Sterling, Ben Kuchera, Kotaku) anymore because they're all corporate shills. Yeah Sterling may not be a corporate tool, he proclaims he isn't, but it's hard not to judge him with half his posts I see.