3DS: Friend Codes on First Page, OMG THE THIRD DIMENSION

The Damned

So Mario 3D Land.

Hoo boy that's a lot of fun game. It really plays like a mix between Mario Galaxy and New Super Mario Bros, while exploring the history of the franchise from SMB all the way to Mario 64 with a heavy emphasis on SMB3.

I'm at the beginning of world 3(they seem to be using the same world types and order as SMB3 as well), and I can say that there are a few tricky levels, and I've died enough times already to have a P-Wing appear at the beginning of the stage... Maybe I just suck at Mario games now. :-( The 3D effect is pretty useful in most levels I've played, although no doubt anyone familiar with platforming(and doesn't suck like I do) should be able to make it through just fine without. Of course people say the difficulty ramps up quite a bit towards the end of the game without it.

Worlds themselves are short at 5 stages per and the stages themselves aren't incredibly long from what I've played thus far, but the levels have pretty solid platforming and the different suits and star coins hidden around make it pretty fun to go through a few times. Speaking of the suits, while the Tanooki suit is pretty much just the racoon suit minus flying, I still enjoy whacking enemies and using the tail for precision platforming. It's a good thing you get them relatively often, as sometimes it definitely makes things easier. The fire suit is great as it isn't on a timer like it was on Galaxy. I'm still dying to try the boomerang suit as I haven't seen one yet, but I'm sure it will be great as well.

Bottom line/TL;DR:

The game is fun, however it treads familiar/safe ground through what I've played mostly. There are a few creative things here and there, and the 3D does add to the platforming(apparently challenging later without). Street Pass adds replayability through new mystery boxes being added.

Worth the price of admission in my opinion. The Japanese seem enamored with it as it sold over 340,00 units already.

Long time no see, thread. Where you been? The bottom of page three? Oh, poor thread. Here, have some news.

http://bfads.net/Ad/GameStop-2011

The special edition Zelda 3DS, that black one with the gold trim and emblem? It's not a Europe exclusive. GameStop is having a Black Friday sale (that's a US thing, sorry Canada) and they clearly depict the Zelda 3DS in the ad.

So, shiny black with gold trim in the style of Zelda? Nice looking. But can Ambassador status be sent to a new 3DS?

I will be the first to trade my Ambassador status 3DS and OoT + pre-order soundtrack to anyone who gets me one of these.

OMG IS MARIO 3D LAND EVER FUN1!!!1

I've only played 3 levels so far but I LOVE IT. It's seriously the mario game I've always wanted my whole life! As good as Mario 64 and the Galaxy games were, they just weren't mario to me. Mario means stomping goombas, getting fire flowers and super mushrooms, invincibility stars and linear platforming. THIS game has all that as well as the perfect controls and 3d platforming as the galaxy games!

It's PERFECT. I LOVE IT SO MUCH.

GTG And play some more.

So I gotta agree, Super Mario Land is a lot of fun, and this is coming from a guy that thought NSMB was a little meh. It's challenging enough, but it's way too easy to get lives. Overall, I really like it.

I also downloaded the Kirby's Adventure 3D Classics. This is the first time I felt like the 3D actually helps me out a lot. In the original, because the color palette is a little washed out and everything is really similar, sometimes I had a hard time figuring out what was foreground, and background but because of the 3d, there's no confusion.

someone explain to me why this is such a big negative for everyone

even in the classic Mario games it was mad easy to get lots of extra lives

It's not that big of a deal to me, but it just makes the game feel easier. If lives are more limited, it gives another reason to make sure you don't screw up, otherwise you have to restart the world. Taking that away relieves some tension and changes the atmosphere of the game. So I think it's noteworthy, but I agree that it doesn't ruin the experience.

• 3 weeks later...

I got it today (pharmacies have no respect for street dates) and it's quite fun. Online is great. I was playing at work, and had to close the system to tend to a customer. Of course my connection dropped, and when I logged on to play another race, my player score decreased by 20 (ie, it recorded as a loss).

So, yeah. Hopefully that discourages ragequitters.

• 3 weeks later...